Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Keeping you abreast of the news... I love London.

A central London ice-cream parlour has started selling ice-cream made with human breast milk. The Icecreamists in Covent Garden, London, have named their unusual delicacy Baby Gaga.

The treat is made by mixing breast milk with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest. The milk has been donated by women who were paid £15 for every 10 ounces of their bodily fluid.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/25/human-milk-ice-cream-sale

Organic, free-range and totally natural, how much for some Baby Gaga ice-cream in a glass? £14. That's about $US23. And it all sold out today.

Ben & Jerry's have some catching up to do.

ZazenZach

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
you'd think that would be illegal.

STDs can be spread via breastmilk, doesn't sound like a good idea at all to sell something like that.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
To be fair, human breast milk has a flavor vaguely reminiscent of sweet coconut milk...Probably makes freakin awesome ice cream.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
It's served in a martini glass and liquid nitrogen is poured into the glass with a syringe...

you'd think that would be illegal.

STDs can be spread via breastmilk, doesn't sound like a good idea at all to sell something like that.

Good point. But HIV, yes. However, it's all apparently covered:

The Food Standards Agency says there are no specific laws prohibiting businesses from selling human milk products, but they must comply with general food safety laws to ensure the product is safe for consumption.

And all breast milk donors are screened by the same checks that are done for blood donors for the UK National Health Service, apparently.

Anyone know if they will ship overseas?

Doubt it, just because of the way it's served. But the concept might be picked up elsewhere...

To be fair, human breast milk has a flavor vaguely reminiscent of sweet coconut milk...Probably makes freakin awesome ice cream.

A food critic reviewed it today:

'Tastes fantastic. Light and creamy with just enough of a vanilla tinge... tastes better than almost any I've had before'

This ice-cream place, just doors away from the largest Apple store in the world, also in Covent Garden, is fairly trendy. Check out their pics on Facebook.

Sounds a unique experience. Must admit to being tempted...

...just for the mammaries.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Consuming a complete strangers bodily fluids...seriously, wtf :confused:

As opposed to consuming the bodily fluids of a multitude of different cows, all shoved into extremely close quarters in hot conditions...

Not saying I would eat this ice cream, but when you put it that way, you have to look at both sides...

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Eh, my mind see consumables on a different level...kinda like how I wouldn't eat a person :D . I do see your point though.

Eating a person isn't the same thing as consuming their breast milk. The milk is replenishable, and given willingly.
I don't think that we could say the same thing regarding cannibalism.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Come on over, my wife will make you some.;)

We're still in the breastfeeding stage with our son......:p

I just thought about how weird it would be to go and ask someone for breast milk ice cream. ;)
It would definitely need to be bought at a store.
But maybe you should open up a stand? Never too early to start saving for college. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.