I am a drug addict

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Aug 13, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

With caffeine

I am trying to wean myself off but I will get such a bad headache and get uber tired/no motivation at all if I haven't had caffeine in a while (like a day)

I used to drink like 6 cans of diet soda a day for a while and I need to stop

How can I get off of this?

Any steps/reccomendations?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I used to drink MORE than six cans of diet a day back in high school, but I just stopped cold turkey. I didn't suffer any side affects or headaches (I have never really had a headache), so I would just say tough through it, and your body will get used to it eventually.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

You don't understand. The headaches are SEVERE to the point I can't do much of anything untill I have a cola

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

have ur friends get some caffeine free cola and have them disguise it as regular.
    after a few months of being tricked they should let u know that it was caffeine free.

now the biggest element to this is to make sure u dont spoil the placebo effect and find out its....wait....:p

5. hamish5178 macrumors member

People can quit cigarettes and heroin. You can quit Pepsi.

6. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Plan a quiet weekend in, drinking water.

Several sucky days while the caffeine lets go, and the recovery begins on Monday with a big glass of lemonade or gatorade or something. Pick something really low in sugar.

What happens if you switch to a non-caffeinated version? Or cream soda, or something like that?

I will say that I have a similar problem, and have weaned myself down to a big coke between 11-2 or so, and none on the weekends. Next step is to cut another day out of the week, and then two. I had it down to once a week, but I didn't live in the Devil's buttcrack at the time, but here there's 50+% humidity at all times with 90+ degrees right now.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You'd think, right?

8. guy999 macrumors newbie

just drink 5 cans a day for 5-7 days then 4 cans a day for a week then 3, then 2 then 1, it takes a bit longer but you won't have withdrawal symptoms this way.

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

me? no

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

As a few others have said, you have to gradually cut back. You will have symptoms, but it seems as if there is no way to avoid them in your case.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I second this advice. And if you need to go slower, go from 5 cans, to 4.5 cans, to 4 cans, etc.

Spill some out before you start drinking, or else you may just drink the whole can.

And start drinking more water.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. It all seems to melodramatic.
    Good luck, I'm sure if you joined the service (wasn't that you) you'd be able to kick it for a short while at least.

14. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

Take some aspirin or Tylenol. Caffeine is in the ingredient list. That may help the transition.

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping. My GF said it was because I drink tea all day, and goto bed with one. So I just stopped cold and didn't drink tea for a week, and I felt f**king dreadful. So I know what you mean - the headaches hurt, you feel lethargic and irritable.

So instead I bought decaf tea bags. I start the day with caffinated and then alternate throughout. After 5pm, only decaf. My sleep quality has gone through the roof and I've not had any 'withdrawal' at all. So how about a similar thing but with diet cokes?

Unfortunately, I ran out of decaf tea bags yesterday. Today, it's 3.39am and I can't sleep.

AppleMatt

16. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I'm addicted to a crapload of illegal and legal stuff, and when I was forced to quit while an inpatient this is what I did. I'm a planner kind of person. I made up a pretty chart explaining how much I would cut back everyother day. Unfortunately, once I got discharged I let go of all that and went back to my old habits so I'm unable to tell you if it worked or not. I don't know about this, but if you get 'urges' to get a Coke, so do something different. I would make a deal with myself. Whenever I had an urge to cut my leg and I gave in, I would afterwards punish myself by eating some nontoxic soap. Eventually, I got a bit better. Also, instead of doing it, I try to go do something interesting. Maybe you could go on Wikipedia and read about some cool procedure about a cure to hypothyroidism? Or whatever interests you. And don't ween youself off by incriments of .5 or 1 daily. I think it would be easier to go down .5 and stay at it for 3 days then go down more. That is what doctors do when stopping certain meds.
    I hope I helped. I've never been a caffiene person myself.

17. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

That will probably just keep you addicted to caffeine. If you're going to take anything for the headache you need to make sure it does not have caffeine in it.

I have the same problem Duke. Its hard to quit because the withdrawals, no matter how small they seem to others, really can affect your daily activities. Hopefully I'll be able to cut back and stop altogether soon, or at lease switch to one cup of coffee a day instead of a few of sodas.

18. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thanks guys. just sucks how my body is dependent on it

this oesnt help either

[​IMG]

19. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Start another drug.

:p

When I stopped my caffeine intake I slept for ~16 hours each of the three days I was "hung over." After that, I was very lethargic, but didn't have the absolute need for caffeine.

So, if you have a few days to blow away in a row, sleep 'em up!

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Go seek advice from your doctor, not an online message board. ;)

21. farkasam macrumors member

22. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Caffeine isn't in either of those. You must be thinking of Excedrin, which does have caffeine.

Anyway, I think the drop-down method will serve you best, OP. Caffeine withdrawal is no fun.

23. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Good idea. Something even better. :rolleyes:

24. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Drinking 6 diet cokes and then some was normal for me months ago.

I did it cold turkey and stopped. It was hell for 2-3 days but after that, it was fine.

If you are desperate, I suggest loading up on pain relief (legal of course) and trying it out the best you can.

I suffer from severe migraines on top of this so trust me, I know how bad it can get.

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is why you should never do crochet on drugs.

edit: actually you should never do crochet.