Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
To start with I have a ps2 and psp so its seems like theres no real reason for me to get a 360. A few of my friends have 360 so we can play each other without having to leave the house. The fact that Sony has dropped the PS3's price has made a once easy choice (360) into a hard one, I even though about getting a ps3 when Gamestop offered it's trade in of a ps2 for 100 off a ps3. while the blu-ray offer has some crappy movies im sure i can exchange them for some good ones later on, although i have no real interest in blu-ray or hd-dvd.

Onto my points for the elite:

1. the games, Test Drive, Forza 2, Gears etc. XBox has the best line up of games for any console.
2. Xbox live, theres no match.
3. 120 GB HD
4. Included HDMI cable.

PS3:

1. Bluetooth
2. Built in WIFI
3. Expandable HD
4. BLu-Ray
5. better build
6. Free online play
7. Gran Turismo.
8. only $20 more than elite.

I plan on buying from costco and these seem to be the best deals around: 360 Elite, Extra Controller and plug and charge kit for $528. While the PS3 comes with motorstorm and an extra controller for $580.

I guess I should add I don't have an HDTV at the moment (none of my friends have HDTV with their 360's), but plan on getting something about 32 inches (hopefully with 1080p) and HDMI inputs and the ablity to use it as a monitor with my macbook pro.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
For gaming atm, I'd get the Elite, by far, a lot more games.

The only 32" LCD TV that is made with 1080P is a Sharp that costs 2,400. You may be better off buying a bigger set.

If you have a CRT/LCD monitor, you can get the VGA cable and hook it up that way as well.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
I'd choose the PS3 if the price difference is that slim..

We've got a 360 in the house here, and to be honest, I'm not that impressed by it. However the Wii and PS3 both hold my attention more than they should..

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
360. There ain't enough solid titles yet on the PS3. If it's a decision to be made solely on games, it has to be the 360.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Premium 360. Fantastic library of games, and some killers coming out in the next couple of months. Better controller, online experience. Whole works really.

tim916

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
I just bought a PS3 and am about to sell my 360. For me the PS3 is a much better value than the 360 Elite because I can watch HD movies on Blu-Ray right out of the box. To do so on the 360 I would need to add the $199 HD-DVD drive.

The 360 certainly has the superior selection of games at the moment, but it looks like PS3 has some really good titles coming later this year. Overall, IMO, the PS3 feels like the better effort, and seems like it will continue to deliver for years to come.

Steve Jobless

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2006
360. There ain't enough solid titles yet on the PS3. If it's a decision to be made solely on games, it has to be the 360.

Premium 360. Fantastic library of games, and some killers coming out in the next couple of months. Better controller, online experience. Whole works really.

I won't even consider the premium unless you mistakenly called the elite that.

well im not really into FPS games, so most games I would want are interchangable with the exception of Forza, although Gran Turismo may be better.

I have a fairly sizeable ps2 game selection which should serve its purpose until better games come out and once its football season only thing ill play is madden.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
your choice really depends on what you want in a console...

simply put...

PS3
-less games, yes, but more to come
-price JUST dropped for 60GB version ($500, I believe)
-built-in blu ray player and all-around wireless connectivity
-online gaming is free

-halo 3
-extras cost a lot
-online play is NOT free
-huge library of games

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
your choice really depends on what you want in a console...

simply put...

PS3
-less games, yes, but more to come [So the 360 has no games coming out for it?]
-price JUST dropped for 60GB version ($500, I believe) [only to shoot back up to full price next month]
-built-in blu ray player and all-around wireless connectivity
-online gaming is free

-halo 3
-extras cost a lot [they do? a look on Froogle tells me you're wrong. Cheapest official 360 controller in £15, wireless 360 and PS3 are both £29. Cables too. Plus you don't have to buy HD cables with a 360...]
-online play is NOT free [But the best online experience to be had in the console world, that's worth it for me and it's moderated]
-huge library of games

Bolds are mine.

no hdmi and paltry 20 GB HD (I have alot of music and videos)

edit: I forget the details but I believe the Elite is to become the Premium with the capacity and HDMI port, albeit in the standard 360 colour (but you're probably best clarifying that as I don't know the whole story). You can also just stream your data rather than store it on the HDD.
I'm just saying... you could save a bit of money and put it towards some quality games :)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
they will both have great games:

If you want great games now, at the expense of reliability -> xbox 360
If you want great games later, with longer product life cycle and better hardware reliability -> PS3

As far as price is concerned(since they are only $20 difference), PS3 is the better overall value.
But if you are just considering both as gaming consoles(solely)....welll, opinions vary. :p

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I would say go with the PS3...there are some good games out for it now and the games to come look lovifull(please don't steal my word)

Xbox do have more games at the moment plus getting bioshock but if you can live without bioshock(until it ports over) the there you go.

Bless

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Hardware-wise, PS3 gives you more (Blu-ray, WiFi), but the 360 has a better current games lineup and more of your friends have it.

Honestly, why are you looking at the Elite? I'd buy an XBox 360 Premium, better value. You will never need 120 GB of hard drive space for games, it's only there for if you're, say, filling it with videos.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
You should choose based on the games you want here and now, and maybe consider what's coming out in the coming months. By the looks of it, you probably will end up getting both consoles eventually (since you have friends with 360's and you seem to be a fan of Sony).

If you asked me two days ago, I would've said go with the 360. Yesterday and today made me change my mind. After watching the MGS4 gameplay video, I was sold. Yesterday, the Rock Band bundles were on Amazon.com and EB Games's website. Unfortunately, it appears (at the moment), the wireless guitar for the 360 is going to cost a premium over the PS3 version because of Microsoft's proprietary wireless system.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
no hdmi and paltry 20 GB HD (I have alot of music and videos)

HDMI offers no visual enhancement over component in 1080p, this was covered months ago by Engadget.

20gig is not paltry; stream the media from a metworked Windows PC or a Mac. If you're storing anything on the hard drive other than game saves, games or game demos then you're wasting space. :rolleyes:

IMO the Ps3 is a waste of money over the 360.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
HDMI offers no visual enhancement over component in 1080p, this was covered months ago by Engadget.

Or better still use VGA and break free from DRM ties, it even allows you to upscale DVDs!

Z2D you seem to be in the know, is there any drop in quality or anything awkward about using VGA? On paper it sounds perfect to me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Or better still use VGA and break free from DRM ties, it even allows you to upscale DVDs!

Z2D you seem to be in the know, is there any drop in quality or anything awkward about using VGA? On paper it sounds perfect to me.

No drop in the quality at all, vga = excellent quality.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2007
ur breakin my balls man get the elite

last time i checked ps3 has no games except for some 3rd party shooters, 2/3s of which suck

o and last time i checked elite has halo 3

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
20gig is not paltry; stream the media from a metworked Windows PC or a Mac. If you're storing anything on the hard drive other than game saves, games or game demos then you're wasting space. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I somehow don't see a reason in getting the Elite. I don't see a need of the 120GB HD, with Connect360, I can easily stream media across the network without any need to save it on my 360. As far as I know, I've saved a couple of demos and game saves, that's about it. As far as HDMI is concerned, my PS3 has took over the only one available from my HDTV. As far as the thing being black doesn't change the fact that the 360 console looks ugly, IMO.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
IMO the matte black design doesn't work at all. 360 is ugly but at least it's better in white. And please - would all console manufacturers put an option to turn off the front LEDs. The Cube had it right with that dim orange glow.

Options, plz.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO

I'm semi-in the know. ;) Hell up until a few months ago, I assumed component was an analog signal because the cables are similar in build to standard composite cables. duh me :D

AFAIK VGA is as high on PQ as component or HDMI.
I've lost track of which of the three is HDCP compliant though. I think component is the only one that isn't...?
Doesn't affect me, I don't have the 360 HD-DVD addon nor do I plan on getting a hi def DVD format anytime soon. Just not really all that into it yet...the movies aren't there. I enjoy Blockbuster Total Access which has thousands of standard DVDs for rent, so I've got plenty of 480p DVD watching to keep me busy for a few years still. ;)

IMO the matte black design doesn't work at all. 360 is ugly but at least it's better in white. And please - would all console manufacturers put an option to turn off the front LEDs. The Cube had it right with that dim orange glow.

Options, plz.

LEDs don't really bother me, I dunno, maybe it's because our room's usually sufficiently lit. Although I'd hate trying to sleep in the living room, with a standby light on the Wii, Ps2 slim, our 5 disc Sony DVD changer, my old Pioneer audio receiver, AND our 30" Samsung SlimFit HDTV...and all of them have red standby lights, except the Wii which (in regular standby) is orange. It's like a gang of laser pointers coming through the wall. :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The worst for LED's was the GB Pocket, I swear the power light was like having a laser in your eye. Had to put a piece of tape over it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.