Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I swear I'm gonna end up dead or in a ditch somewhere.. I'm am so sick of people endangering my life and everyone else's cause they are late for work or in a hurry to be nowhere!!

I'm in the fast lane on US 422 doing between 60-70 mph in my daily driver.. A 2005 Chevy Cavalier, it's bad enough the speed limit is 55 but I get the best mileage at 70 mph. Tell me while I was passing this oversized tractor trailer some trick in a Ford Edge came out of no where Doing at least 100mph cut me off just to get ahead of me.. Just missing me by inches!!! And damn near running me off the overpass.. Like that could have been a really messy accident, I just don't understand

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
FYI, there is not such thing as a fast lane. It's a passing lane, just make sure you move back to the right after you're done passing.

If you were passing an over sized truck, the guy should have waiting for you since you were passing in the passing lane.

Doesn't hurt to get his plate and report him if he was driving recklessly. Enough reports the police might keep an eye out.

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
FYI, there is not such thing as a fast lane. It's a passing lane, just make sure you move back to the right after you're done passing.

If you were passing an over sized truck, the guy should have waiting for you since you were passing in the passing lane.

Doesn't hurt to get his plate and report him if he was driving recklessly. Enough reports the police might keep an eye out.

Or you could run em off the road!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I swear I'm gonna end up dead or in a ditch somewhere.. I'm am so sick of people endangering my life and everyone else's cause they are late for work or in a hurry to be nowhere!!

I'm in the fast lane on US 422 doing between 60-70 mph in my daily driver.. A 2005 Chevy Cavalier, it's bad enough the speed limit is 55 but I get the best mileage at 70 mph. Tell me while I was passing this oversized tractor trailer some trick in a Ford Edge came out of no where Doing at least 100mph cut me off just to get ahead of me.. Just missing me by inches!!! And damn near running me off the overpass.. Like that could have been a really messy accident, I just don't understand

My guess is theres other people that drive the speed limit saying the same thing about you.

;)

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
My guess is theres other people that drive the speed limit saying the same thing about you.

;)

You are exactly right. I generally do about 10 to 15 over on the highways. I get looks from people doing 5 to 10 over like I am driving too fast. I think if someone is speeding they have no right complain about someone else speeding, Unless it's reckless weaving, tailgating, cutting off type of driving.

I get passed by others and it doesn't bother me, some people hate being passed.

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
You are exactly right. I generally do about 10 to 15 over on the highways. I get looks from people doing 5 to 10 over like I am driving too fast. I think if someone is speeding they have no right complain about someone else speeding, Unless it's reckless weaving, tailgating, cutting off type of driving.

Bull-puckey. There is an understood speed differentiation on the highways. If you are going the speed limit, or close to it, get your butt over to the right. Those that are going 10 or so over, pass as needed. If you see someone coming up faster than that, it is YOUR job to get the F over and out of the way.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I can't stand people!!!

;)

No way.. I don't cut people off, it's stupid and dangerous, and I know it's really called the passing lane but honestly in pa, none of the proper driving etiquette matters!! People just do what they want to do with little to no regard to others. And all of this caused me to be a much more defensive driver so I have to adapt to the morons on the road, I actually prefer to just pass in the right lane and move back over over, but consider that there's so much congestion where I'm located.. It's not possible!! Hence me saying.. You got the fast land and the slow lane

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Bull-puckey. There is an understood speed differentiation on the highways. If you are going the speed limit, or close to it, get your butt over to the right. Those that are going 10 or so over, pass as needed. If you see someone coming up faster than that, it is YOUR job to get the F over and out of the way.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but I think you said exactly what I said in the first post. There is no such thing as a fast lane. Everyone should be in the right lane, and move over to the left lane as they pass. If OP was already in the left lane because he was passing a truck, you has every right to stay in that lane until he gets in front of the truck, then he should move over to let the crazy 100mph guy pass.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia

But it's not the autobahn though.. You got somewhere to be.. Flash your high beams and honk your horn.. I would gladly move over but don't run me off the road

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Smart roads are coming- GPS enabled black boxes will just send you a monthly ticket for your offenses. THey could govern the engine but that would eliminate governmental revenue :)

Seriously the speed limit is a maximum. Anyone that goes over deserves the consequences including me.

CountryBobs

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
I've paid my fair share of "speeding taxes". That's exactly what they are in most places. The maximum speed limits aren't for your safety, they are artificially lower than safe speed limits so they can ticket you and generate revenue.

Yep. The fuzz is only there to screw you out of your hard earned money

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Lots of AHs on the highway. Driving across Houston today I saw 2 accidents, a totaled pickup and an strange accident on a frontage road, drivers standing next to their smashed cars. I chock it up to carelessness. People are complacent, they drive too fast and aggressively, follow too closely, messing with their electronic devices instead of focusing on the road.

Ok, can you explain your "best mileage at 70mph statement? My understanding is that your standard vehicle achieves it's top gear and once that happens the lowest or lower speed in the top gear will be most efficient. The faster you go above that, more energy is required, more wind resistance, less efficiency. I drive a Fiat 500 and I really notice this. My best mileage comes in the 60 mph range. The faster I go, the lower my fuel efficiency becomes. It seems to really drop off at 75 and above.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

So your speeding is ok, but other people who do it, are reckless.

They were breaking the law and were guilty of speeding and you were also. I don't know the situation but if I see a car coming up in the left lane going faster then I am. I usually try to move over.

The best bet to stay safe and not be in a ditch is to drive the speed limit and stay in the middle lane.

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Yep. The fuzz is only there to screw you out of your hard earned money

I don't think "The fuzz is only there to screw you", I have several friends who are police. They speed as much as I do, some much worse. They'll tell you that they don't even look at cars that do only 10 to 15 over the limit. They are looking more for aggressive driving, and much faster than that.

If I read your sarcasm right, if it's only safe to do 55 on a road, by your logic they should get a ticket at 56 because it's not safe?

Not sure if that's sarcasm, but I love the opening line in this article.

Only 3 per cent of car accidents are caused by speeding drivers, Government figures have revealed.

Make you wonder how much over the speed limit is safe and how much is there to generate revenue.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
So you're speeding is ok, but other people who do it, are reckless.

They were breaking the law and were guilty of speeding and you were also. I don't know the situation but if I see a car coming up in the left lane going faster then I am. I usually try to move over.

The best bet to stay safe and not be in a ditch is to drive the speed limit and stay in the middle lane.

Think there is a difference between speeding and being reckless. Going 70 MPH is not reckless if most of the traffic is probably going that speed and the road conditions were fine for that speed. The person going 100 MPH( if that was the speed he really was going) was reckless especially if he did cut the OP off and caused the OP to slam on the brakes. I have had people do that to me. Hell I have seen people do that to semi's.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I've paid my fair share of "speeding taxes". That's exactly what they are in most places. The maximum speed limits aren't for your safety, they are artificially lower than safe speed limits so they can ticket you and generate revenue.

Agreed but why not follow them though, because the amount of time you save is negligible really, on the average trip you might get there a half minute early or a minute at most. Is the risk of loss of $$$ worth it, i dunno.

I think a big reason people speed is because the limit messes with their sense of being in control and autonomy. Gosh knows a lot of modern society messes with that. Its bad that people have to die because of it but people die for a lot more silly reasons.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm am so sick of people endangering my life and everyone else's cause they are late for work or in a hurry to be nowhere!!

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

Who'd have guessed? A guy called Muscle Master and Jean-Paul Sartre, philosophical brothers in arms. But on the bright side, at least the highway you were driving on had exits....

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Lots of AHs on the highway. Driving across Houston today I saw 2 accidents, a totaled pickup and an strange accident on a frontage road, drivers standing next to their smashed cars. I chock it up to carelessness. People are complacent, they drive too fast and aggressively, follow too closely, messing with their electronic devices instead of focusing on the road.

Ok, can you explain your "best mileage at 70mph statement? My understanding is that your standard vehicle achieves it's top gear and once that happens the lowest or lower speed in the top gear will be most efficient. The faster you go above that, more energy is required, more wind resistance, less efficiency. I drive a Fiat 500 and I really notice this. My best mileage comes in the 60 mph range. The faster I go, the lower my fuel efficiency becomes. It seems to really drop off at 75 and above.

My car is very aerodynamic and it's also a light car.. I can't really explain.. My mileage sweets pots are really 65-70 mph

So you're speeding is ok, but other people who do it, are reckless.

I admit to doing 10-15 mph over the limit but its a big difference between doing a little over the limits verses doing over a hundred miles per hour on a congested freeway.. It's a big difference driving safely, using your turn signals, properly passing people with a nice amount of distance verses swerving in and out of lanes like its the fast and the furious, cutting people off, not using turn signals and putting people lives at risk

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
Agreed but why not follow them though, because the amount of time you save is negligible really, on the average trip you might get there a half minute early or a minute at most. Is the risk of loss of $$$ worth it, i dunno.

I think a big reason people speed is because the limit messes with their sense of being in control and autonomy. Gosh knows a lot of modern society messes with that. Its bad that people have to die because of it but people die for a lol sillier reasons.

Agreed, there is very little time savings in speeding. In the last few years I have even started taking back roads on trips instead of highways. I agree with you 100%, but I unfortunately have a lead foot. When I was in my teens, and even in my twenties I did a lot of speeding. I am in my 30's now, and have slowed down, and have a goal to stay within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit by my 40th birthday.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I admit to doing 10-15 mph over the limit but its a big difference between doing a little over the limits verses doing over a hundred miles per hour on a congested freeway.. It's a big difference driving safely, using your turn signals, properly passing people with a nice amount of distance verses swerving in and out of lanes like its the fast and the furious, cutting people off, not using turn signals and putting people lives at risk

Have you ever stopped to think that you not yielding to faster traffic isn't also putting people at risk? Maybe the driver that was going "100" wouldn't have had to make an evasive maneuver to get around you if you had just merged right and let him pass. It's not your job to police the roads and decide who is going too fast and who is within "safe" limits, leave the policing to the police and merge to the right when you have a car approaching you at a faster speed.

I tend to drive 75-85 in the passing lane #1 lane when traffic/conditions allows it, while I am usually patient enough to wait for some dimwit to merge over while holding up a line of cars behind them I have seen other less patient drivers make outrageously stupid moves to get around them. While I don't think the person that does stupid moves to get around that car is in the right I do think part of the blame falls on the person that refuses to move out of the #1 lane because they have some superiority complex or thinks its their job to police the highways.

It's a big peeve of mine on the receiving end of your BS driving habits, I've seen 10 + cars get legally and safely passed a slow driver in the #1 (passing) lane only to have the driver not get a clue and stay in the lane. Those signs that say "Slower traffic merge right" are just as much for yours and others safety as the speed limit signs you're so fixated on. Learn to share the road and realize that its not your job to police it and just move the heck over next time a car is quickly approaching you in the fast/passing lane...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This thread has the makings of true failure.
OP, think about what you're saying (writing) for a moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.