Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the leaks true? (Public voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What if you are wrong?

If he's wrong, he's wrong. The world isn't going to end.

I do hope share his thoughts on the matter though. At this point, so close to the launch and the same rumours and leaks being as strong as ever, I'm surprised that anyone is still denying them. The OP has my respect for sticking to his guns at least.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
If you ask me it's just wishful thinking from people wo didn't like what they saw.
Leak over leak pretty much everything was confirmed which was rumored for months now.

For it not being the real thing Apple would have to basically design another iPhone and giving it into production just for the sake of trolling - no way a company pushing margins for the last 0.0013 cents would waste pretty much hundreds of millions on such a pointless operation.

Reactions: ABC5S and yegon

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Vote and I'll ask you tomorrow.

lol English is not my first language.
It's all good, just interesting how the slightly misspelled word still fit in with the phrase although with a somewhat different meaning/connotation.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
What if I'm right?

For what it's worth, I would love for you to be right. Not just because I would like to keep the headphone jack and get a new design, and it's disappointing that neither will be the case, but because it would restore my faith that the Internet can't ruin all surprises.

But at this point, I would bet almost anything that you're wrong.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Controlled leaks are a Real thing. We saw it with the Apple Watch and we"re seeing it with the iPhone 7

Apple Watch
Original Expectation: "The Apple Watch needs 3-5 days battery to make sense"
Internet Reaction: Articles, Blogs and discussions spreading FUD about how The Apple Watch is only getting 10hrs battery life.
Result: 18 hours for a watch is more than we expected and daily charging a watch is somehow "normal".

IPhone 7
Original Rumor: "The next phone wont have a headphone jack?'b But I need it!"
Internet Reaction: "No way. Let's discuss it at length and have blog posts and podcasts and YouTube videos debating it for months"
Result: "There's no headphone Jack? I guess I don't need it.

It happened with problematic releases like IPhotos inferior replacement, the non-upgradable Macs, the surprisingly incremental Watch 2, the lazily designed iPhone SE and with Apple Music. Features are leaked because IF the real world problems of these products gets unveiled at the time of launch then there's bound to be backlash. But because the topic is leaked months in advance then it allows the public to hear the rumors and freak out and then rationalize it all before the product is out. It's just the way Apple does things nowadays.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Apple Watch
Original Expectation: "The Apple Watch needs 3-5 days battery to make sense"
Internet Reaction: Articles, Blogs and discussions spreading FUD about how The Apple Watch is only getting 10hrs battery life.
Result: 18 hours for a watch is more than we expected and daily charging a watch is somehow "normal".

Except it lasts for 24 hours for most people.

And it lasts the same or more than the iPhone.

And unlike the crap you see on the market, it has magnetic and wireless charging, no clamps, no exposed contacts, no easy fall offs from finicky platforms.

You forget about that, right?
[doublepost=1473246741][/doublepost]
It happened with problematic releases like IPhotos inferior replacement

BS! In what way is Photos inferior to iPhoto?
[doublepost=1473246788][/doublepost]
the non-upgradable Macs

Which ones?

iMacs were never upgradable.
[doublepost=1473246887][/doublepost]
the surprisingly incremental Watch 2

It's not even announced and you're criticizing it already, get lost! You could criticize the AW if it wasn't the best in CSAT (according to JDPower), and by far, the best sold, despite the high price compared to "competition".
[doublepost=1473246935][/doublepost]
the lazily designed iPhone SE

You mean one of the best phones design of all time?
[doublepost=1473247096][/doublepost]
Apple Music. Features

The best features product in the market?

Here come the people that crappy Spotify with small catalog, no competition to Beats 1 (let's keep ignoring this), crappy algorithms, no exclusives, etc is "better"

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I think the current mockups of the 'iPhone 7' are completely fake and won't reflect the final device appearance or features.

For me, it's quite obvious that:

1. Someone in China has been reading rumors from US sites
2. Then released carefully conservative* 3D renders, with familiar sizes and body style, with those rumors implemented
3. Made mock-ups of those renders to see aceptation
4. Is now selling plastic mockups for $150 in Hong Kong that don't even match the Apple colors, possibly making pre-release iPhone 7 clones (there are Chinese and other people that buy that, don't ask) running Android, and even with iPhone electronics inside.

* conservative because people think too inside the box, remember when the iPhone 4 prototype was stolen, the actual thing, and people said it was fake because it was too unlike what Apple was been making? For them the iPhone was what they have seen until the day, and couldn't be any other way.

Someone in 1300 million people ought to come up with that.

Nobody from reputable previous leakers have come up with an image:

Sonny Dickson, EvLeaks (not be confused with OnLeaks), Mark Gurman, etc. it's all coming from Chinese social networks and forums, where it's normal to thank posters with AliPay (real money). All those names came up with leaked Apple products that turned out to be true.

On the history of the "Apple is killing the 3.5mm jack controversy":

It all began in a random Forbes "contributor" (aka clickbait maker) back in 2014 and before the iPhone 6 introduction. This is coming from a very imaginative author, with no facts to back his... shall we call it... essay. This theory got fire because Apple filled for the "AirPods" trademark. This is all speculation, but the writers write what they want, and the readers read what they want. I personally don't think they are going to make that risky move on their biggest selling product.

This situation happened with the iPhone SE:

Take a look at this:

iphone5seschematic_mza0kr.jpg

This is what was presented as final, and official iPhone "5SE" design... the only thing that's right is the screen and the home button, it's closer to the iPhone 5, not the 6, the final, as we all know, doesn't have a protruding camera, and no visible antenna lines in the back, and the edges are chamfered, not rounded. But that sold clicks!

apple-iphone-6c-leaked-photo.jpg

Mockups were made, and sold. See for yourself. There's a market for it. Even for smaller and cheaper models like the SE.

The accepted antenna lines design came from a ridiculous fake Leak:

Just read this story. The first time that the "back" of the iPhone 7 was "unveiled", it was fake leak, as you can see, it was a Meizu phone, but it stuck. And well... the show must go on.... everyone accepts those lines as definitive

iphone-7-meizu-pro-6-leak.jpg

There are parts leaks that are being ignored just to go with the lucrative dramatic bandwagon:

Like this assembly that shows the audio jack:

cpsbfFC.jpg

Are these less probable because they are less eye catchy and interesting?

Okay, but the iPhone 6 leaked, and leaked good:

Apple wanted you to know they were finally coming with a big screen iPhone, so you wouldn't buy that Samsung flagship coming in Q2 2014.

This is not an attack to any news outlet, not an attack to MacRumors

They are doing their job. They are spreading the information, they are also looking out for their financials and reputation, at least when they are wrong, they will be all wrong, and the general public will have to accept.

Time to eat crow :( OP

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I don't remember hearing anyone seriously talking about stereo speakers in landscape, a telephoto lens, or that the lightning 3.5mm adapter would be included in the box. Who's 'eating crow'?

It's a rumors site, we all get to take our guesses. Why does the OP have to 'sink back to reality', but the 500 other posters who were wrong get a pass? You guys are too funny.

Reactions: I7guy

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Time to eat crow :( OP

Eat the crow for what. I've had my reasons for disbelieving the rumours, they came out true, then what?

So, pretty much the rumours is very accurate at this point.

What does OP say now?

What do I need to say? What are you going to tell me?

He's angry and he's lashing out so obviously he's not happy. So just leave him alone so he can calmly sink back to reality.

No, I'm not angry. Sorry, I'm not going to make you happy.

It's a rumors site, we all get to take our guesses. Why does the OP have to 'sink back to reality', but the 500 other posters who were wrong get a pass? You guys are too funny.

Thanks, but I don't have to sink back to the reality, I would have to sink back IF I was expecting this release to have features that didn't come out.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Thanks, but I don't have to sink back to the reality, I would have to sink back IF I was expecting this release to have features that didn't come out.

Well, you were expecting a headphone jack, weren't you?

Do you think you'll be less likely to doubt "leaks" in the future when they persist over time as the "leaked" design of the 7 did?

Reactions: ABC5S
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.