I found an unopened iPhone on the Metro North today....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nevesis, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nevesis macrumors 6502

Today traveling to Manhattan from Westchester, I was walking in the train to find a seat when I see an Apple Store 5th Avenue bag lying in a seat. I open it up and to my utter amazement, is a brand new iPhone, in the packaging.

UNBELIEVEABLE.

How could anyone do something so stupid.

After bringing it to the lost and found at Metro North which told me to thrown it in some shady box, I declined knowing the people working there would have taken it.

I then called the 5th Avenue store and they told me no one had called in about it, and they have no policy set in place for lost iPhone's and looking up the serial numbers to try and contact the person.

So for now, I have a brand new iPhone plus the one I paid for on launch day and I am giving it to my sister as a gift.

I tried my best to get it back, but on the other hand, if someone is THAT stupid to actually leave that on the train, they don't deserve to even own the iPhone.

Finders keepers. :D:apple:

2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Exactly, finders keepers. Good attempt on giving it back but heh right? Enjoy the new iphone. Thats awesome.

Just keep on the lookout for the "I lost my new iphone" thread. :D

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

You are very noble. Hope your sister enjoys her new iPhone

4. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

i follow the same rule book.. i try to return it if at all possible.. but once it becomes a pain in the butt to do a good deed I just keep it.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

not gonna lie I don't know if I would have evn true to give it back I admit it good luck and enjoy your new phone man h

6. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Just Wrong!

For some reason, it just seems wrong that you are telling all of us about this. I think this is one of those noble deeds I would keep to myself. I also think that it is wrong for you to be putting someone else down for making such a costly mistake. Shame on you!

7. Aranince macrumors 65816

2x

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh please he tried to return it.

same thing with money. you find 20 on the ground. unless you see the person who dropped it what do you do?

i say keep it or maybe check with police station as well

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Exactly. Giving an iphone to the person at the lost and found is just plain stupid. The original owner will never get that back. Lost and found boxes are for hats and gloves not $400 items.

10. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Metro NORTH??? Between Manhattan and Westchester!!!

Yeah, man, that's mine! I just bought it today. I saw someone choking at the station, I jumped off the train to save her life, and after I did that, I turned around the damn train had pulled away. :mad:

Anyway, I thought I was out $400! PM me so you can send it back.

:)

11. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Seriously, though, I think the 5th avenue store should take the phone back and issue the original buyer a credit. They know who bought it.

12. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

i totally agree with not bragging about something like this, it just feels dirty.

I mean, c'mon, the OP tried to contact one Apple store, then didn't follow the suggestion of the employee of the metro- he wouldn't put it in the box for someone else to take, but he felt it was ok to keep it or himself? Twisted logic to me. And please, the guy is not 'noble' just b/c he is giving the thing to his sister.

So do what u wish with the phone of course, but remember, someone out there is probably devastated about losing it, just as we all would be.

13. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

LOL. For real. They could have at least called the person or emailed them and held it for em. I think the real loser in this story is the apple store.

14. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

you did the best you could but the apple store really could find who bought it. Shame on apple, not on you.
    ill give you a $100 bucks for it, and your sister can have my samsung phone?:D

hope you sister enjoys her phone!

15. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think it was an interesting story to hear! I mean what can you really do these days, measures to properly get the iPhone back to the original owner is near impossible. Was the receipt in the bag too? If not, and I found the original owner who had the receipt (with matching serial # on it), I would give it back to them, but short of that you just scored!

16. VenomousSVT macrumors 6502

its not his fault they are stupid and left their phone!

17. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Yes. To the OP, are you in Manhattan often? Just take it to the store and ask to speak to a manager. I'm sure they can contact the buyer and issue a credit if necessary. Or simply get the phone to him or her.

If you're a little persistent, you should be able to get them to do this.

Come on, the vast majority of these phones are paid by cc. And the stores always ask for your email address. Worst case, they could issue a credit to the cc.

18. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Lots of bs in this thread you the right thing man not leaving it at the lost and found and not taking it to a police station for what so that a cop keeps it may as well you keep it you found it apple is not going to take it back why should they that a like me selling a car and then refunding the guy because he got drunk and crashed it

19. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Very noble of you really and yes seeing the situation and Apple's ignorance in the situation: finders keepers. My mom had a similar experience at a restaurant last week. She was at a "Spoon" restaurant with my uncle and saw a guy using an iPhone, she said oo cool an iPhone since they are very rare in CR either you hack it like me and forum member Luis, or you pay from 700$ to 1000$ for a totally illegal unlocked iPhone; anyhow, the dude left and minutes later my mom noticed he left the frikin phone there!! she tried to check for about this phone and couldn't know to who it belonged so she left it with the person at the cash register[the place is very popular and not a crappy place so it probably was in good hands]. I really hope that dude went back there and got it back. If I lose mine all hell brakes loose, seriously I'll go berserk.

-Victor

20. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Or tired. Or just had a bad day.

I left an $8000 body and lens at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago. The waiter and manager went out of their way to get it back to me with nothing but my credit card receipt to go from. It's called giving a guy a break after a long day.

We all make mistakes, happens to the best of us. Sure it's not the OP's fault. But this mistake can be made right.

21. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

wow, that took me like 20 mins to read. periods? commas? no?

22. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

If it were me I'd try harder than that to return the iPhone to the unfortunate person who left it on the train. Perhaps it's above and beyond what's necessary, but it's certainly how I'd want someone to treat me if it was my phone that got lost.

While I could probably keep the phone without feeling guilty I'd prefer to find a resolution I could really feel good about.

23. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hahaha, i am so sorry, it took me even longer than that to type it. I just got my touch today and i am having a pretty hard time getting used to the typing, seems very easy too, i feel kind of stupid not gonna lie.

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hmmm, $8000 camera...$400 iphone...keep the phone you did enough work to warrant the 400 dollars

$8000 yes use every source imaginable to get it returned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.