Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Im sorry but this is really a test of your morals.

You are trying to justify taking this iphone. It became your responsibility to find the owner when you picked up the bag from the Metro. I am sorry it might take some extra effort but would it really kill you to make someone else's day?

Stop thinking about taking it as your own. It is not yours, will never be yours. You did not pay for it. So go to the apple store, do a good deed and feel good about what you have done and know that you have done something for someone else that will hopefully be paid forward.

If you have ever lost something expensive then you will understand how great it is to receive it back knowing someone did it out of the kindness of their hearts and not trying to exploit a situation

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
So, while going to work this morning, I had some extra time and decided to take a swing down to the 5th Avenue Store.

I explained again in person to a different manager this time the situation, and he told me they can't give out any personal information to me. But since there is no real policy in place for this type of situation, the best he can do is take my phone number and if they get a call about it and the person can confirm the name, serial number etc, they will provide that person with my phone number to get the phone back.
I think this is quite reasonable.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
UPDATE 2:

5th Avenue store called me and believes they found the person who bought the phone, but isin't 100% sure. They provided her with my phone number and when she calls me will have to verify the serial number, and exactly when and where the phone was left and I will rightfully return it!

SIUGRAD99

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
after all the BS you've fed us I will not hold my breath that you properly take care of this.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
well, he can't do his two day deal now, he must wait until the woman contacts him, whether she's real or not

Yeah, suppose the store never contacted the OP and the woman waited a week before calling, resulting in "Sorry, I already gave it to my sister."

At my wife's school, they don't give away the boatload of lost iPods until after nobody has claimed them for three MONTHS.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I'd be surprised if that was the truth.

If you had time to swing by the Apple Store (which by-the-way was too much of a chore for you to do earlier..) then why on earth did you not take the iPhone with you? Were you too scared the manager would say "Yep, we'll take care of that, thankyou for being a good person and popping this in to us"? Because, after all, you didn't have the phone with you so if they gay had said that you've got the awesome get-out clause of "OOOPS, DIDN'T BRING IT WITH ME SILLY ME, I'll go back and get it".

I'm not calling you a massive liar, but your lack of desire to do anything earlier is going to make a lot of us (not that a bunch of mac-geeks are really going to matter to you if you're going to keep this thing) not believe you on that one.

I still think you should take it to your local Police station. They will know what to do, and you WILL get a reciept for it, and if no-one recovers it they WILL contact you, and you will have your "Finders Keepers" rule and your sister can be super stoked that she has a new iPhone, and you can be super stoked that you made your sister super stoked for nothing on something it has been cleared that you didn't steal.

I don't think until you take this thing to the police that you've done enough. It'll take an hour or two tops to take it to a cop-shop it surely isnt that much harder than fighting your corner through hundreds of posts on MacRumors to justify the fact that you're keeping the phone is "the right thing to do". Right now it isn't so get out there and do the right thing man!

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I hope the woman who called the Apple Store is the rightful owner. I hope she contacts you and is able to receive her property.

I also think that the sheer delight in having 'found' something we all covet can initially make it easy to find excuses as to why you should keep it. But after reviewing the responses on this thread, I was unable to find any of the posts you claim were ridiculous. In fact, I noticed some who have legal knowledge give you some good advice as to how to avoid this whole scenario ending up as a nightmare for you.

You could have left it sitting there, and walked away thinking, wow, what an idiot! But instead you took it into your custody, making it your responsibility. Taking it with you was exactly the point where going out of your way to try and get this phone back to it's owner became a hassle *and* a responsibility.

The suggested courses of action given you by members due to your creating this thread become avenues which you should try. You posted your story publicly on this forum, which meant you opened yourself up to suggestions. Picking and choosing from them, or falling short of completing them means you are not putting forth a full effort. Not meeting the responsibility you put upon yourself by picking that phone up and taking it with you.

I'm glad that after reviewing these responses, you did manage to leave your contact information at the Apple Store. It may or may not be her phone, but if it's not, you're not done. If it's not her phone, then your next step is to head down to the police precinct where the phone was picked up, file the report, and leave the phone with them. They'll give you a receipt, and if the item isn't claimed after a set amount of time, they will notify you to pick it up. At that point, it will become your property, and you will be able to legally gift it to your sister. But if the phone doesn't belong to this woman (there were a lot of missing iphones on craigslist), then it's not your phone until the police report is filed, phone isn't claimed, and is returned to you.

I hope you do the right thing. But just in case, I'll be noting your user name in case I ever decide to trade in the marketplace in the future.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I hope the woman who called the Apple Store is the rightful owner. I hope she contacts you and is able to receive her property.

I also think that the sheer delight in having 'found' something we all covet can initially make it easy to find excuses as to why you should keep it. But after reviewing the responses on this thread, I was unable to find any of the posts you claim were ridiculous. In fact, I noticed some who have legal knowledge give you some good advice as to how to avoid this whole scenario ending up as a nightmare for you.

Excellent thought. Hopefully this lady has found her iPhone and the TS can receive satisfaction in helping someone else.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It sounds like nevesis is doing the right thing now, let's give him a break and let him do it:

UPDATE 2:

5th Avenue store called me and believes they found the person who bought the phone, but isin't 100% sure. They provided her with my phone number and when she calls me will have to verify the serial number, and exactly when and where the phone was left and I will rightfully return it!

Can you really blame him for being tempted? If he ultimately does the right thing, and it sounds like he it, then he's a good guy in my book.

By the way, if it is her, she might not know exactly where she left it. You could tell her you found it on the train and if it was really her phone, she'd know which line and about what time.

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
UPDATE 2:

Good man :D:apple:

JasO

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Two days or it becomes yours!? you're kidding me. If you wanted to keep it in the first place you shouldn't have come here and made a thread about how 'stupid' the person was for leaving it. Remember kids, karma is a bit*h.

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
UPDATE 3:

Good news!

The woman called and was able to verify all the information including date, time, track number, serial number etc. We are meeting up tommorow so I can return her iPhone.

I guess everything worked out for the better. :):apple:

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
UPDATE 3:

Good news!

The woman called and was able to verify all the information including date, time, track number, serial number etc. We are meeting up tommorow so I can return her iPhone.

Nice to hear that. She'll be very grateful.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
UPDATE 3:

Good news!

You did the right thing.

I work with elementary students and one discussion we have is making up your mind ahead of time about what you will do in a "I found it" situation. If you have to think about it in the heat of finding something great, you are much less likely to try to return it. I'm trying to get my kids to see that part of being a good citizen is having the empathy to see how the person who lost it feels, and how they would feel if they lost it.

The day after our last talk, a kid returned $2 off the playground. Not a big deal, but we've had lots of money lost and never returned before. He said he didn't think about it, because it wasn't his, so turning it in was the right thing.

Ya done good going the extra mile... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.