Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I was at a yard sell and I found a eMac and a Macintosh Performa 6115CD for $30 together so I bought them. (I also got a few other things to go with them but they aren't important.) It's got 700MHz G4, 40GB hard drive, 512MB of ram, a GeForce2 MX, and a CD/DVD combo drive. Since it doesn't have Bluetooth built in I use a USB dongle to get Bluetooth and I connect just a Apple Wireless keyboard and when I press eject most of the time nothing happens and no disk drive appears in system profiler, but sometimes the disk drive will work just fine and open and close. Then it will stop appearing in system profiler and will not eject with the button. I also can't find anywhere to download a Mac OS X 10.4 install disk to try a re install. I don't care as much about re installing if I can at least fix the disk drive. Also does any one know what the limit for storage is because I was thinking about putting a SSD in. (By the way if I'm missing something obvious it's probably because I'm new to apple devices I've only ever really used a iPod that I got for free I'm still not used to the mouse.)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you want to try swapping out the old hard drive with an SSD:
The original hard drive will be PATA/IDE, and an SSD will be SATA.
So, you will need an ATA to SATA adapter card.

I've not ever had much luck with the generic bluetooth dongles on an eMac (I have two!)
Not very reliable in my experience. I much prefer a USB wired keyboard.

Macintosh Garden is one source for downloading a Tiger disk image.
Image #31 on that page is a good choice for what you need.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
If you want to try swapping out the old hard drive with an SSD:
The original hard drive will be PATA/IDE, and an SSD will be SATA.
So, you will need an ATA to SATA adapter card.

I've not ever had much luck with the generic bluetooth dongles on an eMac (I have two!)
Not very reliable in my experience. I much prefer a USB wired keyboard.

Macintosh Garden is one source for downloading a Tiger disk image.
Image #31 on that page is a good choice for what you need.
I think I've seen PATA/IDE SSDs before but they're quite expensive but, adapters aren't very expensive from what I know.

Well I'm using the bluetooth adapter since I have no wired mac keyboards or mice.

Do you know if I would be able to write a install disk on a windows or linux computer? Even if I can I don't know if the disk drive will work for enough time to install. So would it be possible to use a USB to install from?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Most any USB keyboard/mouse will work on a Mac. You absolutely don't have to use a "Mac" keyboard

Yes, you can burn a Mac OS installer DVD on Windows. Search for "MacDrive"
But, don't expect the process to work the first time you try it. Sometimes you get lucky, but I also read plenty of forum responses where the process didn't work. Be patient, and follow ALL the steps to do that.

Yes, it's possible to install from a USB. You have to use some arcane commands while booted to Open Firmware.
Some steps for that here: https://www.macintoshrepository.org...powermacs-g3-g4-g5-from-a-usb-stick-or-drive-

Keep in mind that your eMac is a first generation, with USB 1.1 - so ANY use of USB will be very slow, be ready to wait!
(Booting from Firewire would be ideal - but Firewire devices are getting quite difficult to find now.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
Most any USB keyboard/mouse will work on a Mac. You absolutely don't have to use a "Mac" keyboard

Yes, you can burn a Mac OS installer DVD on Windows. Search for "MacDrive"
But, don't expect the process to work the first time you try it. Sometimes you get lucky, but I also read plenty of forum responses where the process didn't work. Be patient, and follow ALL the steps to do that.

Yes, it's possible to install from a USB. You have to use some arcane commands while booted to Open Firmware.
Some steps for that here: https://www.macintoshrepository.org...powermacs-g3-g4-g5-from-a-usb-stick-or-drive-

Keep in mind that your eMac is a first generation, with USB 1.1 - so ANY use of USB will be very slow, be ready to wait!
(Booting from Firewire would be ideal - but Firewire devices are getting quite difficult to find now.
I know any USB keyboard will work but I like to have the eject button so I can try without having to open a program and it stays connected so. (I also only have one good USB keyboard)

I think I'll just try to use USB since the disk drive seems to be failing.

I'd be willing to wait but, I heard there some like "target disk mode" which I think you can mirror a drive form Firewire to the internal Hard drive but I don't even have a Firewire hard drive so I think I'll just stick to USB if I can.

Do you know anything or have a guess why the disk drive would acting as it is?

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I just looked at the "How to boot PPC PowerMacs (G3, G4, G5) from a USB stick or drive?" page/article and it says you can boot a Linux PPC version so would this mean I could boot Windows NT 4.0 PPC? If so maybe I could dual boot but I don't know if I would be able to do that.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, I have installed a couple of different varieties of Linux, such as Ubuntu, on my eMac.
You DO have to use a PPC version of Linux, of course, and change the open firmware command to use yaboot rather than tbxi for the boot process.
If you have a PPC version of Windows, then I suppose that would be possible, too, in theory. But, I don't know what change you would need to make for the boot process.
PPC for Windows hardware is not similar to PPC for Mac hardware, however.
Maybe this thread will help answer that question - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/windows-nt-on-a-mac-look.84909/

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
This BT dongle is the goto for PPC Macs. It should be able to wake up the eMac from sleep or at least reconnect from sleep

OIP.Y1ocUvayhivnKXPyS7kCcQHaFa

Reactions: eyoungren

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

I own a 1Ghz eMac (ATI) and it is not necessary to fiddle with Open Firmware on that machine in order to re/install OS X via USB. Once you've created a bootable USB installer with Disk Utility, you only need to hold down the Option key when the computer is powering up and the drive will be detected in the boot menu and you can install OS X.

My own experiences with this are detailed here. :)

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
Yes, I have installed a couple of different varieties of inux, such as Ubuntu, on my eMac.
You DO have to use a PPC version of Linux, of course, and change the open firmware command to use yaboot rather than tbxi for the boot process.
If you have a PPC version of Windows, then I suppose that would be possible, too, in theory. But, I don't know what change you would need to make for the boot process.
PPC for Windows hardware is not similar to PPC for Mac hardware, however.
Maybe this thread will help answer that question - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/windows-nt-on-a-mac-look.84909/
Yeah looking at that thread I think I'll just stick to Mac OS and I really don't think I have much of a use for Linux on such an old computer.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
This BT dongle is the goto for PPC Macs. It should be able to wake up the eMac from sleep or at least reconnect from sleep

OIP.Y1ocUvayhivnKXPyS7kCcQHaFa
If it does work like that and I can get it for cheap then I'm gonna get that one because the one I have can only turn the screen back on but when it goes to sleep I have to press the power button.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I did a fresh reinstall by selecting to erase the hard drive and install. It's working fine but I'm still having issues with the disk drive. So is it possibly dying? If that's the most likely cause can I just put in any old DVD drive I have lying around or do I need a specific one? (I think the one I have may be able to also burn DVDs I don't know if that be an issue but I think the original drive is only able to burn CDs)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Both of my eMacs have generic DVD burners, noticeably faster than the optical drives that Apple supplied at that time. If you have an ATA burner, then try it out.
Yes, eMacs might come with CD burner (CD-RW), or even a CD-ROM, which didn't use DVDs at all -- just read CDs, up to Apple's Superdrive.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I know the CRT has an anode attached (I think that what it's called) and it carries high voltages after shutdown. I think there's a grounding bolt somewhere inside the case so I can use a screw driver and alligator clips to ground the screwdriver but I couldn't find any info on for where it is located on a safety page I found or the service manual. Also any other safety tips for disassembly?

Edit: What is ATA is like a protocol or is it like the IDE looking connector?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
ATA and IDE, as terms, are (mostly) interchangeable, and refer to the standard used for the drive interface.

This video shows everything that you would need to know about releasing high voltage on a CRT anode.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
That's what I thought but I didn't want to have to disassemble it multiple times if I had the wrong drive.

Oh ok well that looks pretty easy to do so hopefully I can do it later today.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I got to the point of the main board separated from the CRT and have replaced the disk drive, but I realized I really don't want to take it apart more than once. So does anyone know the hard drive speed and size limitations? I was going to put a SSD in but I don't know if it would be any better than 7200 rpm hardrive. Also does anyone know where I can get a 2.5 SATA to 3.5 IDE?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I was looking for an enclosure to put a SSD in so it would fit in the eMac and convert it but I may just need to just get them separate.

Edit: I found a company that sells SSD with a adapter that also converts it but I can't find the adapter they sell separate because I'm not buying from them because they way overcharge. :| https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/emac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you really want the IDE to SATA adapter from OWC, then this is it...
You can use most any 2.5 to 3.5 adapter sled, but the SSD is so light that you could attach it with a few pieces of double-sided tape. That's what I do inside an eMac, no mount adapter at all.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
If you really want the IDE to SATA adapter from OWC, then this is it...
You can use most any 2.5 to 3.5 adapter sled, but the SSD is so light that you could attach it with a few pieces of double-sided tape. That's what I do inside an eMac, no mount adapter at all.
I guess I'll just do that but I'm not buying their adapter. I'll just buy a generic adapter unless there's a specific one that I should get.

PixelPies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2021
I have replaced the hard drive and the first time I reassembled the computer it booted to a no operating system menu but it did boot. I realized that I had incorrectly routed the airport card antenna and I to disassemble it once again. I rerouted the antenna and then once reassembled I attempted to put the airport card in and without realizing it I had just jammed it in and pushed the connector up and slid under it. Then it wouldn't boot so I disassembled it and realized that I'd bent the pins that connect the power button to the power button cable. So I fixed that and the airport card connector and it still wouldn't boot. When I pushed the power button I heard the CRT turn on but still no video on the display. I reinstalled the hard drive and I pressed the power button then I hear the hard drive click as it starts up but does not spin. I am at a loss of what the problem could be and how to troubleshoot it. I also don't think I have the manual for the correct model and it seems as though I have the manual for the ATI graphics one but I have the machine with Nvidia graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.