I got an iphone 4 yesterday, am I an idiot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trance, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

I haven't been keeping up with macrumors till lately, I figured since the white iphone was released recently that apple was going to wait till 2012 for iphone 5.. bad move I bought one so late?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Depends, if you needed a phone now then no it's not a bad move especially considering iPhone 4 will run iOS but if you didn't need a phone now then yeah i would've waited.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

No, you did ok!

If by chance a new phone is announced at the WWDC Monday, you are still in your return window.

Otherwise the phone won't be out for a few more months, if you always wait for the latest tech then you will always be waiting.

The next phone is rumored to be a spec bump, not a ton of new features.

The big thing this year is iOS 5. The iPhone 4 will be able to take advantage of that.

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

You always have 30 days to return the iPhone4 and at the at&t store I think you'll be charged a $30 re-stocking fee.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

6. amdmaxx macrumors member

What's your IQ?
    :p
    Iphone 6 will be a big upgrade, but thats a year away.. Iphone 4 with ios5 - should hold you for 2 years...

7. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

My IQ is roughly around st.fu

looking at the buyers guide we should expect a bump at the latest September, it would suck knowing I could have waited 2-4 months for an update that's remotely close even if they are minor.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Dude chill, he was just making a joke since you asked the question "am I an idiot?" hence the IQ joke :rolleyes:

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, you aren't an idiot; however, I would have waited until at least Monday for buying one. Just so you know, if an iPhone 5 does come out on Monday, you could return the iPhone 4. It's most probable that it will release near September though. And iPhone 4 doesn't mean you'll get an iPhone 6 when your contract ends. It will be more like iPhone 7 since you are buying near the end of the cycle.

But that's thinking way too far into the future. I think you're fine. If anything happens on Monday, then you can return it.

10. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

I bought a new White 4 on Friday
    I knew about wwdc this Monday but I wanted one badly.
    I'm not gona wait for announcements with no phone

I can just sell this one on when the new one is out

11. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

make sense, thanks.

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

If you're happy with it (which I assume you are), then what's the issue?

13. Trance thread starter macrumors 6502

I love it! I was on the fence about buying it because i figured it couldn't be much better than my 3g, man i was wrong.

14. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Just keep it. Chances are if there is an upgrade (which I don't think there will be, there hasn't been that many rumors on the iphone 4x/5), it won't be that significant.

Although if you really want it, you can return it within 30 days of purchase as others have said.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The 3G is basically a POS these days, haha. Glad you are liking your new phone.

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

How so? It's not a "POS" by any stretch. It's still perfectly capable of nearly everything that an iPhone 4 can do.
    I just upgraded from my original iPhone. Granted, the iPhone 4 I replaced it with does a better job of most tasks, but my original was still kicking and doing a great job. Why did I replace it? ... the power button died. >.<

17. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Heck no. If you are happy with it, enjoy. What anyone else thinks does not matter. So do you feel like an idiot? I doubt it.

18. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Depends on how bad you want the latest!
    I just got one for my wife, but I would Never buy one for myself, I want the latest :)

19. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Knowing what's right around the corner, I personally would have waited. That said, no matter what they introduce at WWDC (if anything), the iPhone 4 is still a very substantial device, and you shouldn't at all feel like you have "old technology". It will most definitely hold you over until next year.

Of course, if we see a "4S" or "5" this year you could sell your 4 on craigslist for $400 and then only have to fork over an additional $199 for an off contract phone.

To answer your question no, you're not an idiot, but I would have at least waited a measly 1 week to see if anything better was coming out.

20. ikaveh macrumors regular

If there is going to be a new iphone on semtemberbyou can sell your current iphone and get the new one for around 100-200 box more

21. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I also just bought the iPhone 2 days ago. I really really needed it because using my BB 9700 was getting more and more painful. I am totally new to iOS and I really love it so far. I'm also covered if a new phone is announced an ship later this month. With AT&T you have 30 days. Of course a restocking fee applies. There have been so many rumors that the iPhone 4S/5 will not be that significant. It might not even have a dual core chip. Only thing every rumor has confirmed so far is the 8MP camera. I'm very happy with my new iPhone.

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I have only had mine about a month, do not regret it at all, this is technically my first "smartphone" and I love it. My last phone was a Palm Treo but it did not have internet.

Like several have said there is always the next phone on the way and I needed one now so I jumped in, the iPhone 4 does all I need and more.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I didn't literally mean so (hence the haha part). I know it's a perfectly capable phone.
    I said it in response to the comparison of the iPhone 4 and 3G - said by the OP.
    I'd rather have an iPhone 3G than go back to a Razr, but compared to the iPhone 4, it certainly is not as good.

And having an iPhone 2G is much better in terms of performance compared to a 3G on 4.x

24. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

It's still a good phone, but pretend they do announce iPhone 5 next week, MacRumors will suddenly call the iPhone 4 slow, ugly, old, laggy etc etc :rolleyes: