I got one!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harrietb, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Harrietb macrumors newbie

Woohoo got my iphone 4S today! Just syncing it - so excited!!

I had a 3GS before - and tips that I should know?

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yeah, be ready to be raped on the monthly fee.

3. brazil5376 macrumors member

you and a million other people

4. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Where did you get it?

5. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

6. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Haha jealous!!!...He's probably using his iphone 2g right now wishing he had the 4s :)

7. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I would just screw it and get the white iPod Touch.

8. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

what are you even talking about here?

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

As far as I know, the cheapest plan for an iPhone is $55 a month, but I was told that the actual price may be even more expensive (all the way up to $80 when you get your bill).

I'm currently on a family plan where 4 lines are using non-smartphones for less than the monthly price of one iPhone.

To me, that's rape.

10. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Congrats man. Dont let these haters bring you down. I was excited about my 4s coming from a 4. I cant imagine going from a 3gs to a 4s. The retna display will spoil you. You are in for a vast improvemnt all over. Enjoy !

11. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

a lot of people have grandfathered unlimited plans for 30 a month
    for my iphone on a family plan I pay 44
    with unlimited texting

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Well it is a family plan, so they give you some leniency in pricing when you bundle lines like that. If you were to take the dumb phones off of the plan and charge them separately, they would probably add up to more than a family plan with them together.

Regardless, yes, phone bills are pretty ridiculous.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I went from the 3GS to the 4S as well. My tip to you is just enjoy it! :)

14. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I have to say I'm pretty interested in the 4S, but I just can't let myself pay that amount per month for something I probably won't even enjoy to the fullest (I can wait to check emails at home, and I can wait to go on the internet until I get home). I don't need internet on the go, although I would want it. My budget allows me to have this phone, but I don't feel comfortable spending that much per month. It seems that they charge you a premium price for anytime anywhere connectivity that I would enjoy, just not enough to cough up that much.

It's a great convenience, but I don't know if it's worth it for someone like me to be paying through their nose for it.

Hello, white iPod Touch!

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Isn't worth it. Hell, I went three months using a feature phone in wait for this and it wasn't that bad. I used my MBP for all of the work and just used the phone for the occasional text and as an alarm in the morning.

Now I have the ability to waste time and keep myself occupied between classes; having the 4S is saving me the effort of bringing my computer to campus though; so there's that.

16. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yeah, the 4S looks like it's a boredom-curer. It's totally worth it for someone who needs that emails and internet on the go all the time. But I don't need it.

I consider a cell phone a secondary device for calling. I mainly use my Comcast house phone for everything, as well as Comcast internet. Anything on the go is secondary, hence I feel bad paying so much for an iPhone, considering my Comcast triple play service is not too much more expensive than a monthly iPhone plan.

But I'm also of the opinion that if you have to have a cell phone, go with the best.

So yeah, there's two philosophies to it, but first and foremost I'm looking at the price. And I don't like it.

17. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Why are you using Comcast triple play? I mean, aside from the Internet, you can watch the tv shows on Hulu or something right? I haven't watched actual tv in years.

18. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

The monthly fees for things that never existed before are starting to add up.

Unless you have a business use for a smartphone, think hard about whether you should be spending an additional $30 a month for instant gratification.

19. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm using Comcast triple play because I like it. Nothing replaces turning on your TV and watching live channels.

20. thomasanderson macrumors member

Op, can you respond to this question please? I am also curious. There isnt a single store within 200 miles of me that has anything other than the 64GB left. Is that what you have?

21. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Agreed. Apparently, a lot of people want instant gratification.

I agree though, that if you have to have a cell phone anyway, you should get the best.

But the price hurts, so I'm in limbo right now. And I'm thinking that the iPod Touch would not fulfill my needs (as I want a good camera, too).

I think I'll just wait and see what I want.

22. FutureStan macrumors member

Dude, If you're getting raped monthly, you need to report your carrier. No matter how much they tell you otherwise, that is NOT how its supposed to be.

23. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Well, I'm judging by the plans displayed on Apple's site for the iPhone. I'm not talking about special deals people may get.

This is what I'm referring to as "rape" (especially when compared to my current non-smartphone plan).

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

Click on "view rate plans".

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

you absolutely don't need it.