I guess this is not a good time to buy iPad pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jjiangweilan, May 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

    jjiangweilan

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2016
    #1
    So, the news says there is possibly no hardware in WWDC. Do you guys think it's better to wait a little longer for the new iPad pro?
     
  2. Shadownix macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2018
    #2
    Next most likely release window is September or October, which is unfortunate because it wont come in time for back to school, if you have something to hold you over I would keep waiting as the current pros are a year old now. Sad that I cant afford to wait that long and will probably get a surface book instead.
     
  3. jjiangweilan thread starter macrumors 6502

    jjiangweilan

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2016
    #3
    I have a surface pro 4 in hand, but its battery life and operating system as tablet are jokes. :(
     
  4. 0007776 Suspended

    0007776

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #4
    If I was in the market for one I would hold off until after WWDC to ensure that there isn't a new one coming, and then buy either way. If there isn't one now then it will be several months until there is an update, so it probably isn't worth waiting. But as always how happy you are with your current set up and if you can get by continuing to use it until the fall when the next release window is will determine if you would be better off waiting.
     
  5. dcorban macrumors 6502a

    dcorban

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #5
    I just bought one two weeks ago. My return period is ending, but I asked the manager for permission to extend it until Tuesday.

    I am not sure what I will do if the upgrade is announced, but not available until September or October. I do have an Air 2 which is perfectly serviceable to use in the meantime.
     
  6. iapplelove macrumors 601

    iapplelove

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2011
    Location:
    East Coast USA
    #6
    I would hold off for the next pro. Face ID, bezel less and no home button.

    It will probably be a beast in the cpu department too.
     
  7. Macintoshrumors macrumors 6502

    Macintoshrumors

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2016
    #7
    Who knows. These are rumors and apples leak policy is in full effect.
     
  8. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #8
    If you’ll be happy with what you have keep it. If buyers remorse will set in or you prefer a different in between size without bezels, return, make do with the iPad Air and wait it out till September. Should be a processor boost too, although the current ones are still blazing fast. FaceId and everything else isn’t a deal breaker or maker.

    I’m holding out for a size change. 12.9 is great as a laptop replacement but too unwieldy as a tablet. 10.3 works as a tablet but really too small for all day work.

    A 11.5 bezelless hits the sweet spot. Or, current 12.9 with a lot of bezels and weight shaved off to make it more manageable. Otherwise I’d buy a current model and be very happy with it for a while. Rumored pencil upgrade is there. Praying for a better Smart Keyboard solution or more accessories.

    And to be honest, I do like the latest and greatest and wouldn’t be happy with a 5 year old design if it’s being completely overhauled. It’ll eat at me in time
     
  9. Starfia macrumors 6502a

    Starfia

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    #9
    I'm ready to buy a new iPad Pro too – I'm at least waiting until Monday morning's announcements. If there's nothing there, then I'll recognize that as a choice between going ahead now (the current amazing units are one year old, so there are some good deals on them occasionally), or waiting until fall – my main hope there would pertain to the possibility of the iPhone X's design achievements influencing the iPad Pro's.
     
  10. kozz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2011
    #10
    I'm in the same boat...but my return period is longer, on both the IPP and the Case that I bought and even the Apple Pencil in case a new one comes out...I will be watching Monday also.
     
  11. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #11
    If you’re happy you could simply keep what you have for a year and upgrade when the kinks have been sorted out. Apple products hold value pretty well. Don’t think you’d be more than 200 out of pocket for a full years usage.
     
  12. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #12
    Caveat with this is it depends on the configuration. If you tend to max out (e.g. 512GB LTE), you'll get hit harder by depreciation. The 64GB Wi-Fi, there are plenty enough deals that one is likely to get close to breaking even.
     
  13. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #13
    True. Even more depreciation than normal this year if a new model with a new design comes out. Tough call. Let's see what Monday brings (i'm still hopeful for an announcement and a August release :) :) )
     
  14. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2013
    #14
    There's never a bad time to buy into iPad Pro. If you want one today don't worry about what might be available sometime in the future.
     
  15. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #15
    That depends.

    Personally, I would've been filled with regret if I had given in to temptation and bought the A9X-based iPad Pro 12.9 256GB LTE for $1229+tax in late 2016/early 2017.
     
  16. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #16
    Not that simple. Especially so close to a new version and that too one that's rumored to be drastically redesigned. more than 3 to 6 months, sure. Less than that when FaceID and less bezels is all but guaranteed, no way! I'd hold off.
     
  17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
  18. macduke macrumors G3

    macduke

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Central U.S.
    #18
    I think this year they're coming out in the autumn, perhaps in October or November after the iPhone, and will be upgraded with A12X—skipping A11X entirely.
     
  19. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #19
    Now is a great time to buy an iPad Pro. I bought one from Best Buy getting them to price match Costco. Saved $150 on a 12”. I think costco is doing $150 off the 10.5” right now as well.

    Additionally, performance of the Generation 2 iPad pro’s is phenomenal. It benchmarks at MacBook Pro speeds and has all day battery life.
     
  20. hajime macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2007
    #20
    Have been waiting for about 3 months. The problem with waiting longer is that just like the MBP line, Apple may take out useful features and put in undesirable features. If Apple is going to include an ugly notch in the IPP 2018, will you still wait for a few months for it to come out?
     
  21. Adrianinkc macrumors member

    Adrianinkc

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2016
    #21
    Bought a 12.9 256gb last Saturday. Have no desire to wait around till fall or spring for one that will be a little faster, I still think if they put Face ID on it the price will go up. If the iPhone cost $1,000 I don’t even want to know what the next iPad will cost.
     
  22. xx22 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2017
    #22
    Costco has the IpadPro 10.5, 256, on sale for 120 off. You have 90 days to return it.
     
  23. eVolcre macrumors 68000

    eVolcre

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    #23
    Not a bad move. It’ll last you a good couple of years while the kinks are worked out. Check the refurbished store btw. I saw a high end model at 250 off.
     
  24. rui no onna macrumors 603

    rui no onna

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2013
    #24
    If so, refurb store will likely have the older model at deeper discounts. I'm not particularly fond of FaceID and all the new gestures but at the same time, I don't really need to get a Pro 10.5 right away. I also don't like 16:9 AR (although 3:2 is okay). If I don't like the new iPad, I'd just grab a 512GB LTE Pro 10.5 from the refurb store.

    If one is willing to buy used (I don't), then pricing will likely be even better.
     
  25. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #25
    I was waiting for the new one too....but ended up buying a 10.5" IPP2 2nd gen as a late mother's day present for $499 last week at microcenter in New Jersey. Pretty decent deal for a brand new one...so I chose not to wait. Needless to say, she loves the upgrade from her Air.
     

Share This Page