iPad I hate my iPad Air Smart Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by freelance2, Nov 1, 2013.

1. freelance2 macrumors newbie

freelance2

Two issues:

1) Doesn't close flat, air gaps at the hinge and tip of cover. These may work themselves out over time but it feels like a box a bit too large for the thin Air. I hoped it would feel more like a thin glove as does the new leather case for the iPhone 5S.

2) The cover doesn't fold out of the way as easily or inconspicuously as the Smart Cover for prior generations.

I plan to return it and spend the $79 on an alternative. Any suggestions?

BTW, the Air is great.

2. CocoPops macrumors member

I ran an Apple Smart Cover on my Mini in conjuction with a Switcheasy Case on the rear, I was hoping the Apple Smart cover would offer decent protection and work well.

Clearly, I'll have to look at other options if it's not worth the money (£65 here in UK)

Anyone else with experience of the Air with Smart Cover?

3. TheJustAbout macrumors member

TheJustAbout

Totally agree with you. It feels crap compared to the older generation.

4. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I bought the Air with a Smart Cover. It seems fine. Fits well, doesn't fall open, and no gaps. Don't hesitate to get the cover.

The case, however, seems like a waste, even if it was perfect. Why buy a light device and then saddle it with a case that probably adds 50% more weight? Unless you area using it on a construction site, I don't see the need.

5. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have the smart case and agree that it's not a good fit and not worth £65.

6. Payton3485 macrumors member

Tumi makes an awesome cover for the 1st generation mini as well as previous generation iPads which are awesome. I hope they make one for the Air.

7. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I bought the case and the cover but the Air looks so good I don't want it completely covered. I like the colors they made for the covers...more than the cases.

8. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Can you PLEASE do a video and/or take photos of the case? Kind of like a review showing why you dont like it. I plan to get this case and there are not many info about these in the form of a full review. Always the mini. Sorry you don't like yours.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I bought the case and will probably return it as it adds 50% to the weight. I weighed it :)

10. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

11. vistokid macrumors 6502

12. bnorthro macrumors member

I picked up the poly Smart Cover for mine and I already hate it (coming from an iPad 3 with a leather Smart Cover). The material feels really cheap, I don't like the fabric hinge, the edges are sharp, and it sticks when sliding the iPad in & out of my wool felt sleeve. Definitely returning it when I can find a better alternative.

13. freelance2 thread starter macrumors newbie

freelance2

Hard to get a good photo especially the awkward way the cover folds over the back. But here is the hinge with the cover "closed". You can see the air gap (no pun intended). And yes, the iPad is completely flush with the inside back of the case.

Attached Files:

14. nemesis4670 macrumors member

I'm surprised anyone still buys the smart case/covers... wasn't it determined shortly after they came out that they were horrible and not even close to worth the money?

At the very least wait a bit and you could get it off eBay for like a 70% discount. I remember my first smart cover was the black leather $70 one and I ended up getting a genuine brand new one on eBay for $20. I ended up never using it because they are horrible... and switched to a keyboard case instead which gave me way more functionality.

There are so many third party cases out there. With the iPad 4 I got the Sharksucker keyboard (knockoff of the Brydge+ keyboard... yet better) The tablet slides in the hinge and locks in with magnets. Lets you adjust like a laptop and closes like a laptop. It's made of aluminum and also has a USB port so you can charge your iPad on the go with the internal battery.

This time with the iPad Air I'm buying the ZAGGkeys Folio. For $30 more than you spent on that Smart Case you can get a beautiful thin keyboard case with backlit keys that actually adjusts like a Macbook Pro and holds it with a real hinge. Not like those other keyboard cases where you have to move the iPad forward into a slot. Since now the iPad Air is small, thin, and light enough to be held by a hinge.

http://www.zagg.com/ipad-air-folio/8513

15. xraytech macrumors 68020

16. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I agree the iPad Air Smart Case is too bulky. The iPad Air itself is very thin. I was also expecting the Smart Case to fit like the iPhone 5S leather case. I am coming from an iPad mini with Smart Cover and the Belkin Sheer Shield case. Unfortunately, the iPad Air Sheer Shield is back ordered.

17. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I'm really happy with mine - yes, I have the gap, but I hadn't even noticed it until I read this thread. To me it feels really high quality, provides just the right amount of protection and provides a really stable stand for the iPad.

18. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

The iPad Air SmartCase is very high quality and professional appearance. Definitely moves the iPad from toy to business category. However, I return back to the bulk of the case. There really is not a reason to have the iPad so recessed into the SmartCase. The lip on the iPhone 5S case makes sense because there is not a cover to protect polished edge. The thin Belkin Sheer Shield case comes up just short of the screen because its designed to be used with a SmartCover. In addition, I believe the SmartCase has a wider lip than the thickness of the shell itself (for what purpose?)

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I miss the 4 panel folding cover. Liked its operation better than the 3.

On one hand the leather is thicker than I expected, certainly ads some, on the other better protection and durability. Walks a fine balance IMO.

I think I would have preferred my old Smart Cover+Coverbuddy back she'll. Visual illusion of two tone, the colored cover and black back, made it look thinner.

Still... minor issues. I'm happy.

Feels great in hand.

20. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

I don't really like mine either. Anybody know the return policy on these things? I'd love to return it once I get an alternative. There isn't anything to protect the back yet (besides pre order).

I also have the gap when closed, and on top of that, I noticed that when propped up, if you push toward the top of the iPad, the magnets are not strong enough to maintain contact and the iPad falls down.

I also bought a smart cover to go with one of these ( http://amzn.to/1giMdOH ), but no clue when I will have it.

21. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

22. Giuly, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, it's leather: You need to break it in.

Either flap it until the bridge softens, or rub it down with some Lexol leather conditioner.

23. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

24. ArcaneDevice macrumors 6502a

Take it through airport security and on a 13 hour flight and you might change your mind.