Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
But I NEED all of this stuff!

1,800 apps is ridiculous. If you only used each app for 5 minutes, it would take 150 hours to use them all. Come on...

Attachments

• inside_a_hoarders_640_07.jpg
    inside_a_hoarders_640_07.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 115

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
You don't need to hoard apps. Once you download an app that is temporarily free, it will be registered as "purchased" for your account, regardless of any pricing changes later. You can delete it and redownload for free at your leisure. If you don't want to do that, you can just not sync all those apps with your iPad, and just leave them on your computer for future use.

I do the same... browse appshopper, download app for free when prices drop, delete if not needed, redownload when needed for free.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I only have 27 apps, and even then, not even half of those get used on a daily basis.

megsandbytes

macrumors member
May 1, 2011
1 of the 5 signs you are addicted to your tablet PC is:

Sign #4 - You Have More Apps Than Real Life Friends

...just sayin' :D

mkruck

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
San Antonio, TX
If the man wants to have 1,632 apps, then the man gets to have 1,632 apps.

Exactly. I'm really trying to understand why people are so judgmental about this. It's the OP's iPad, the OP's choice and the OP's money spent on apps.

The OP is a better person than I am, though - I'd just tell you all to piss off.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
just a thought: clear your multi-tasking tray, maybe there are so many open at once that the ram is too low and it reboots.
To clear multi tasking: double-click home button, touch icons till they wiggle like like on the home screen and keep pressing 'x' this will *not* delete them

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
You don't need to hoard apps. Once you download an app that is temporarily free, it will be registered as "purchased" for your account, regardless of any pricing changes later. You can delete it and redownload for free at your leisure. If you don't want to do that, you can just not sync all those apps with your iPad, and just leave them on your computer for future use.

OP ... this.
Not to mention, there is a "purchased" section under the App Store on your iPad that will show you all the apps that you downloaded.

j0r0b0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
I have it down to 1432 apps and it seems that the problems have stopped.
Another observation that I think I noticed is that problems occur when there are enough apps that extra invisible pages may be the cause of errors and rebooting.
I'm not hoarding since there are over 500k available. :)

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Exactly. I'm really trying to understand why people are so judgmental about this. It's the OP's iPad, the OP's choice and the OP's money spent on apps.

The OP is a better person than I am, though - I'd just tell you all to piss off.

One could easily say the same thing about a "regular" hoarder who has their house so packed that you can barely get around. It's not judgmental to say that person has a problem, because quite frankly, they do. No one here has been mean to the OP, and he said that his iPad was in fact having problems. Everyone's merely pointed out, quite truthfully, that having over 1600 apps simply isn't normal, practical, or even sensible.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I was able to get 99% of them for free:D and am saving them for later on when I need them. Then I won't need to pay for them later on. I do this for language translations, travel in other countries, etc. Actually, I have over 1800 apps but just can't get the iPad2 to cooperate with that many.

When you say FREE, do you mean hacked apps. Cuz if you do this thread needs to end.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
I have it down to 1432 apps and it seems that the problems have stopped.
Another observation that I think I noticed is that problems occur when there are enough apps that extra invisible pages may be the cause of errors and rebooting.
I'm not hoarding since there are over 500k available. :)

looks like 1432 Apps is the sweet number for you then ... are you single?

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
Apart from about 30 most used apps, how do you even remember the existence of the other 1400??? :p It's hard to believe that you think, "hey I know I have an app for that...somewhere." lol each to his own I guess. :cool:

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

3dflyboy1 said:
Apart from about 30 most used apps, how do you even remember the existence of the other 1400??? :p It's hard to believe that you think, "hey I know I have an app for that...somewhere." lol each to his own I guess. :cool:

Hey, I think it's ridiculous too. :cool:

j0r0b0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Here's how I got hooked...?

I daily take a few moments to go to a site freeappalert.com to see what is available. That's where I have found some really great apps that are free for 12-24 hours only. My iPad is not jailbroken and apps were only obtained legally. I am retired so I have lots of time to do whatever I want with my iPad2. I enjoy using it and wouldn't trade it for some other type of similar device.
I do look forward to them doing some changes to the operating system, however. One big change would be to allow me to do one command to close ALL OPEN APPS at one time instead of having to go and click on each one at a time.
I have been an iPad user since Day One. I have been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G was available. I also conduct a monthly Users Group that is devoted to the iPad and iPhone. I guess that's one reason why I have so many apps is that I share only good ones to them at the meetings. :)

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
I say bravo to the OP! Who said anything about what he is doing is out of true need? I was thinking of trying something like this to see if it can be done, but I gave up at around app 600 and now only keep about 200 apps on my ipad2. None of it was out of need and i am sure i havent even opened 1/4 of the 200 apps i have installed now, but this was all for the fun of it and to see what can be done.

No different than a guy who buys a ferrari and wants to see if it can really do 200 mph.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.