I have a feeling the 2011 refresh is gonna happen sooner than later...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobby Corwen, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I am waiting to sell my 13 and get the new top of the line 15s whatever they are.

I've been anticipating this refresh for weeks now and I have a feeling they are gonna come early February because April is still months away.

If you consider the record breaking length of time it's been since a refresh I feel it will happen earlier than expected.

So for all those waiting you can rejoice! It shouldn't be too much longer!

2. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Can you tell me when the new ipads are coming out? I've been waiting to upgrade.

3. laser71 macrumors regular

It hasn't been "record breaking" at all - the line is usually refreshed once a year. It's only been 10 months.

4. Hornzog macrumors member

Actually not true at all, in fact today is 81 days above the average release cycle time (which is roughly 7 months).

Product MacBook Pro
    Last Release April 13, 2010
    Days Since Update 289 (Avg = 208)

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Wow...Apple does site maintenance and everyone goes into panic mode. LIQUID METAL AND MBP AND WEBSITE DOWN? I THINK THERE IS A CONNECTION...

The mbp will be out when it gets out, damn.

6. pedrofan macrumors 6502

That's not true. Macbook took a little update on october. You erased it. So october + 208 days is april.

Product MacBook Pro
    Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon *
    Notes * The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro received a new build-to-order option for a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor on October 20th, 2010. We do not, however, consider this to be a significant update to the product line and thus do not include it as a data point for our calculations. Consequently, we do consider the MacBook Pro to be near the end of its product cycle based on the most recent major upgrade date of April 2010 and advise users who do not require new machines immediately to hold off on purchasing MacBook Pros.
    Last Release April 13, 2010
    Days Since Update 289 (Avg = 208)

7. Hornzog macrumors member

Dont they always receive a small update at some point during their lifecycle anyway?
    None of which are calculated as part of the average?

8. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Some people are saying April. That's like 3 months away. It's already past overdue, and to wait another quarter of a year is too long.

I doubt its gonna go the long haul and i think it will be February. I have one of those feelings that they will surprise us with a sooner than expected refresh. Im already ready to upgrade to a new model, I already have my money and everything.

9. preppy macrumors member

preppy

I don't understand your logic....:confused:

...so due to the obvious fact that April is further away than February...there will be a refresh in early February because Apple is impatient?

10. pedrofan macrumors 6502

If you count that as a refresh the counter should be like this:

Product MacBook Pro
    Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle
    Last Release October 10, 2010
    Days Since Update 111 (Avg = 208)

So you can imagine.. Saying wether it is going to be a refresh or not is like walking in a mine field. That's why they don't dare to put the information that I've written above.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. laser71 macrumors regular

I would love for them to come out now too - but the reality is that they are waiting to implement SB - and given the dual cores are not out yet, means that those likely have to happen first. I think it would be surprising if all the MBPs came out with quads.

Again, I would love if they came out right now - but the reality is there is a lot more going on with the decision making process than "Feb is sooner than April, so it must be Feb".

My guess is March, probably late March.

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I think the new chips will not be available until around Feb 20th so use that as the earliest date. Last year when the new arrandale chips were released MBP did not get updated for a few months, after other PC companies - and that that time they were overdue for the standard 7-8 month cycles pushing it out to 10 months.

Also, there are no rumors at all yet

14. Mangos86 macrumors member

You can't tell me someone doesn't know someone that works at a plant in china where they are made, or someone that works at apple. Someone knows, and they need to speak up.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

There is a rumor, that new MacBook Pros might be coming out sometime this year.

16. raymondthimmes macrumors member

17. Mangos86 macrumors member

I've heard that one too.

18. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Maybe not! Maybe Steve Jobs closes Apple tomorrow.

19. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

February is the month they will come out, I feel strongly about that. This 13 inch is too small for Cata and I need the extra graphics cards in the 15. I'm ready now. April is a no go.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Feb 20th will be the absolute earliest - and it's a Sunday, so Feb 22nd (Tue) will be more likely then. At that point, it will already be more than 10 months since last update. Never happpened before - and although there is always a first, I strongly doubt that it will take much longer after Feb 22nd.

21. Mangos86 macrumors member

February/March would be a great time due to tax refunds coming back to people. I know I already have plans to get one when I get my refund next week, and with updates imminent I will be patiently waiting with money in hand.

22. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

THANK you

23. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Hoping

All we can do at this point is read these threads and hope for the best.

24. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

apple is not bound by the final public/ 3rd party release of SB on feb 20th, you really think these huge business partners can't/didn't/ nor have never made deals for ahead of time? Perhaps before or after feb 20th, but not after the 20th because of the release date only. Also, the october bto was not a refresh at all, you CANT count it. a petty spec upgrade for a higher cpu clock speed is no big deal. Pretty sure most everyone agrees, even the buyers guide says.

25. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Adding a single BTO processor is not a refresh. :rolleyes: