iPad mini I like rMini color/gamut better than Air's!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samiznaetekto, Nov 19, 2013.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Got rMini and LOVE its color reproduction! It looks to my eyes more like a fine printed photography/art book rather than an oversaturated neon toy that Air is. (I did compare them in the store before getting my rMini.)

I don't care about those 63% vs 100% gamut numbers, the rMini screen looks just totally natural. For example, the photo of a green leaf with droplets at http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/features/ looks very life-like on rMini, vs oversaturated neon greens on Air.

Same with, for example, the green on On/Off switches - I hate this "WTF?! Are they trying to burn the retina in my eyeballs?" green on my iPhone and on Air, but on rMini it looks like a 'normal green'.

All this hysteria about rMini gamut is totally ridiculous.

Now if you excuse me, I'll return to kissing and hugging my little friend. :D

2. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

3. vince22 macrumors member

Here another cool story, my $95.00 hp touchpad screen looks more natural than overprice rMini.

4. syd430 Guest

The mini is around 60% sRGB, the Air is around 110% sRGB.

100% sRGB is considered ideal, with truest to life colours.

You're entitled to your opinion, but to call 110% "over saturated" is certainly not the consensus by any stretch of the imagination.

For record, I guess you find real life "over saturated" too?

5. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Where did you get your 110% figure? I remember it's about 9x%.

6. voronoi macrumors member

You should also consider that the image file being displayed might be over saturated instead of the screen. sRGB is considered standard for digital content and the iPad Air is much closer to it at 110% than the mini is at 63%.

Since you can't change the icons and images used throughout iOS without jailbreaking, I'd go with what looks best to you. Remember that you can always turn down the saturation of an image file on a vibrant screen, but you can't make a less vibrant screen show a more saturated image.

7. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I do not find the Air hugely over saturated, but I agree that the much lower color gamut in rMini has turned into hyperbole. In my opinion the rMini for most will be absolutely fine. Today at a staff meeting my rMini made its way through the board room. I specifically asked what they thought of the screen specifically the color. Not one person said it looked washed out, 2 of them have Airs. They scrolled through lots of pictures, looked at web sites and videos, so not just a single picture that itself may have saturation issues.

Geek sites and forums like this are loaded with folks that will make this a much bigger deal than the average person.

Love mine, it's a keeper!

8. voronoi macrumors member

Part of the problem is the semantics of the words "average person". Not too many people want to admit they're average.

9. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Maybe on forums like this but most people never think about that. They buy a device open it and enjoy! End of the story, till the next purchase! LOL

10. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

I also think the colors pop slightly too much, if anything, on the Air. Maybe not to the level of "neon," but even before the rMini and before I knew what the word "gamut" meant, I thought that. Not that the Air has a bad screen by any stretch of the imagination. It's phenomenal.

But the rMini's screen is awesome, too. I'd wager that just about everyone in real life (as opposed to the craziness around here lately) would agree. Everyone at the Apple Store who was looking at it while I was there yesterday certainly thought so.

11. cababah macrumors 68000

I like how the picture you included to reference the mini's display came from Apple's website lol. That hasn't been touched up or underwent post-processing or anything like that....:rolleyes:

Do you feel better about your lower contrast device now?

Never underestimate the power of ignorance...

12. brent1977 macrumors regular

I think there may be some confusion about what the sRGB coverage actually means. As I understand it, it's a measure of the capability of the display. So a display with a 110% coverage doesn't mean it is overshooting. It means that it is capable of displaying a wider range of colors than what is specified in the sRGB standard.

A poorly calibrated display capable of 100% sRGB coverage can still look far worse than a correctly calibrated display capable of only 60% coverage.

If both are calibrated properly, though, the overall look should be roughly the same with the better screen just being able to more accurately represent the range of colors in a given image.

13. prism macrumors 6502a

You are certainly entitled to your POV, and I certainly won't hold you against that but what you are saying is complete nonsense. Good thing you add a smiley at the end.

14. brent1977 macrumors regular

Also, I think the term "washed-out" that some people are using isn't accurate if I understand what they're seeing. An image that is referred to as "washed-out" typically means a faded image - meaning that the mid gray level is set to high resultng in the mid-tones of the image being too light/pale.

The white, black, and gray levels of an image or display are separate from the color coverage.

A black-and-white photo can have no color whatsoever but still have lots of contrast and not be in the least bit washed-out.

----------

Higher saturation and contrast doesn't necessarily equal more accurate color reproduction. It's possible to crank the saturation and contrast on your TV to insane levels, but that doesn't make the picture more lifelike.

Having said that, though, I have to believe that Apple has correctly calibrated both the Air and Mini displays to get the most out of the capabilities of each display.

15. Jensend macrumors regular

Both numbers are correct.

The iPad covers a bit less than 100% of the sRGB spectrum, but it is has a spectrum that is 108% as big as the sRGB spectrum.

The blue triangle here is bigger than the black one, but it doesn't fully enclose the black one:
    http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_16.html

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The colors we can see is much greater than any display technology can reproduce. Here are some charts that will explain it all. The CIE 1931 is the full triangle that the average human eye can see.

Chart 2 shows the HDTV (Rec.702) and the new preposed UHDTV aka: 4K (Rec.2020).

Chart 3 shows sRGB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Just defending your purchase as the Air is far superior to the minitoy screen.

18. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

Thanks for the charts (I am a visual learner) :D

I took back my Rmini for an Air :D

19. Jinzen macrumors 6502

You love a screen that can't show you the real colors a photo or picture that the artist/developer meant for you to see? Lots of delusional people here.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It is possible. Not everyone values color coverage (not to be confused with accuracy) like the average Macrumors poster. Some people are quite happy with the screen just the way it is. The Mini1 sold 55 million units. I'm guessing a lot of those folks loved their screens.

Mass delusion? Or was it that it wasn't (and isn't) THAT big of a deal? :confused:

21. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Good charts above.

Well I had the Air for a week, awesome tablet but simply too big for me so I ordered the rMini. So the colors are not as nice (but still good), I'll live with it because portability matters more for me. Case close for me.

22. syd430 Guest

That's not what OP is saying though. He is saying that the screen is in fact superior to Air because it has more natural colours.

Which is BS.

Which means, as has been stated by others, OP is in fact delusional. Perhaps desperate to justify a purchase.

23. Jinzen macrumors 6502

It's delusional to claim to prefer inferiority or superiority. It's fact that when an artist or website displays something meant to be a certain color, (like magenta or violet), one device renders it accurately (Air), one device falls 35% short (Mini)

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a fact that website developers understand that they control neither the type/quality of display the user has nor the amount of ambient light in the user's environment. So while we hope our sites will be displayed nicely, we know there is as much a chance that the user will have a mediocre monitor next to a window with a lot of sunlight during the day, or a smartphone outside where everything is washed out regardless of how awesome that phone's display is.

Its naive to think otherwise.

25. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I don't think 99.9% of people value color accuracy over almost any other aspect of the iPad screen. We at MR are the .01% that nitpick things like this. For many people, the size and portability are more important. Nobody that owns a rMini will argue that the screen is better, we will just say that we don't find that to be as important as the portability.