Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I freaking hate windows, it broke my MacBook Pro.....

I was trying to install XP in bootcamp, when it reboot itself. I figured it was done installing. Next thing I know a message comes out saying "Disk Error, Press any key to restart."

I hit restart, nothing happens.

I reboot, the same screen comes up

I hit eject Disk, the disk does not come out..

Am I screwed? GOD I HATE WINDOWS

What should I do, is there a way to get the disc out somehow?

I NEED HELP PLEASE

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Holding the mouse button down while it boots will eject the disc, and holding x down during boot will force boot OS X.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks guys :)

Im glad Apple has a way to get around it. I'm not booting back into Leopard. :D

Now to figure out why Windows didnt install....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Helpful idea from Forum Rules:
Thread titles. Use thread titles that indicate the subject of the thread, not generic titles such as "Need help". Moderators may change thread titles that have no specifics, usually by adding something more specific in parentheses.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

I was trying to install XP in bootcamp, when it reboot itself. I figured it was done installing. Next thing I know a message comes out saying "Disk Error, Press any key to restart."

I NEED HELP PLEASE

You left Windows for many reasons. This was one. Now, if you have to have Windows and want security, use a virtualization software like Fusion or Parallels.

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008

I NEED HELP PLEASE

a program will install incorrectly from time to time, OSX has done it to me as well. wipe the drive clean and reinstall. griping about a product that installs as a result of instructions to be carried out does not ALWAYS happen well 100% of the time because of, say, disk errors which might be due to a bad sector, a defect in the HD writing surface that prevents the software from carrying out its install task. this has nothing to do with the software itself and you could be installing windows, linux, OSX or whatever else and they would all do the exact same thing. dissect your problem to the deeper cause and provide a more exact explanation of your problem so people here can help you better. a vague and unfounded statement where tons of other people have no problem carrying out on their machines ain't gonna produce much material for us to work with...

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
You left Windows for many reasons. This was one. Now, if you have to have Windows and want security, use a virtualization software like Fusion or Parallels.

Virturalization isnt powerful enough for some things.

Anyways I'm installing XP again. What option should I do? I'm kinda clueless on this one

Format using NTFS
Format using NTFS (Quick)
Convert to NTFS
No change (FAT32) (This is what I did the first time)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Anyways I'm installing XP again. What option should I do? I'm kinda clueless on this one

Format using NTFS
Convert to NTFS

FAT32, it's better as you can use your Mac partition to read/write to it. NTFS can only be read by OS X.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

Format using NTFS
Convert to NTFS

I would use Format using NTFS, if you have Parallels or Fusion to move files around, if you don't use Fat32 (doesn't work as well) because then OS X can read and write that XP partition (as long as it's less than 32GB.)

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Well XP went through the whole installation process, and then a blue screen came up, and the cursor is frozen on it. Do you think its doing something or it just froze?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.