I Ordered My Retina iMac High End What did you get?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WizardHunt, Oct 16, 2014.

1. WizardHunt, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

WizardHunt macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I just pulled the trigger on a new Retina iMac. I even added the memory in the order, I was going to search for it but did not want the hassle. I had the money so I bought it.

Attached Files:

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

3. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

I'm waiting for the refresh with a decent GPU.

4. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I want to order one so bad but I really want to see it in store first.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

6. bumfluff, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014

bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

I'm right there with you...although ill be holding on to my receipt

[​IMG]

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I flip flopped, buy the retina, buy the current imac now, wait until the current imac is updated. Despite my better judgement, I decided to buy the current imac now.

8. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Just ordered the very maxed out 1tb ssd 4gb gpu amd, 32gb ram and 4ghx cpu, nice! Im so happy apple managed to do it right this time, releasing it the same day the announced it.

I do wished they would have a 8gb vram option though

9. leenak macrumors 68020

Ahh screw it, I changed my order... getting the retina.

10. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

[​IMG]

looks like all three of us went for the fully spec'ed model.

what are you guys (imclovin, wizard hunt) doing with the machines mostly? I'm mostly doing photo/video editing, not much gaming but sometimes.

11. Vapor matt macrumors regular

My 27" iMac i7 3.5g m780 ssd drive only arrived yesterday, and i have to say i had no idea about the refresh to the line up today, apart from in my post about buying it so close to a refresh.

But you know what as nice as the retina display is i am pleased i got the 3.5 with 780m. I think the GPU choice is poor for the new display and no one has any idea how it will work with the new 5k chip apple have come up with.

2 generations time with new intel CPU's and the next gen on from M980 we will see the real deal that suits everyone, gamers as well. but for now this retina display release says to me if your into photography and video editing and you want 5k its the iMac for you.

for the average joe who dabbles with pics and some home movies, but also likes to game a bit the 780 is the way to go. in 2 years i will upgrade if apple goes green again with nvidia.

it will be interesting to see what the benchmarks say in weeks to come.

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yeah, I would really regret it if I didnt max it out. I mean such a beautiful machine with such an amazing display, I want it to hold standards at least a couple of years.

90% of what Im doing is photoshop, after effects and Unity 3D. and some video editing in premiere, indesign, etc...but 90% is Photoshop and after effects. And after effects just got retina so this is freekin awesome timing.
    Im not playing much games either, just Leagu of Legends, but thats not why Im buying a machine, so I dont care if LoL will look bad on the retina screen downscaled.

13. leenak macrumors 68020

4.0 GHZ (woah), 16GB RAM, 1TB flash, Radeon M295X and this all started due to me being interesting in a $1500 iMac ;)

14. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

I do mostly video and Photo work and this will give me so much more working space with good graphics that I am excited and can't wait to get it. :cool:

15. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

yeah mostly FCPX and PS/LR for me about 50/50..and then some starcraft when I'm all alone and no one is around =)

but I'm coming from a macbook air 2012 hooked up to a Apple display, so the performance difference is going to be outrageous...hopefully lol

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

What I don't get is why they don't offer a desktop class GPU? I mean, we're talking more pixels than have ever been on any screen EVER here.

17. leenak macrumors 68020

they wouldn't offer a desktop gpu due to the heat dissipation I think?

I've made and canceled about 5 orders... but I'm done... only thing I didn't max out is the memory because you can upgrade that later

18. Thoir macrumors member

Where can you get those retina iMacs.. I only see the iMac with retina 5k displays on the store... ;)

19. Silver Pegasus macrumors member

Can the 5K iMac ram be upgraded at a later date? i.e. has anyone seen anything to suggest it has the little upgrade door on the rear like the other 27's have had in the past?

20. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/16/imac-with-retina-display-hands-on/

engadget photos seem to suggest it is, i think someone else mentioned it does state it on the order site somewhere

21. Silver Pegasus macrumors member

22. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

On the Apple site now, you can view the specs of the new iMac with 5K Retina display and it states that it is configurable to 16GB and to 32GB so no problem in that department.

23. animatedude macrumors 65816

24. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors demi-god

WizardHunt

However, I wish they would have put 4 thunderbolt 2 ports in instead of only 2.
    Its so hard to find peripherals with TB2 ports where they have more than one on the back of each peripheral. Oh well. Until they come out with a cheap TB switch box if that is even possible.

----------

Not sure when they will have them. You could always email amazon and they will give you a estimate I am sure.

25. bumfluff macrumors regular

bumfluff