I Refuse to Use (Any New MB/MBA)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cedwhatev, Apr 18, 2019.

1. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I'm merely writing this thread.. wondering if there is anyone out there like me.

I've been using the MacBook Air 11" EXCLUSIVELY since 2011.

I've had a 2010, a 2012, a 2013, a 2014, just sold my 2015 8/128, and "upgraded" to the 2015 11" i7/8/512 today, actually. I've had zero problems with any of them, I just either have replaced one when the battery cycles were getting high, or when I felt that the upgrade was necessary (i.e going from 4/128 to 8/256 or from 2012 to 2013 battery life).

Now.. have I considered making the switch to a 12" MacBook Retina or new MacBook Air? Absolutely. I've gone to numerous Apple/Staples/BestBuy/etc stores and played with them.. messed around with them. I've tried out my friend's as well.. and was impressed.. but it just didn't have that "it" factor that the Original Air has. The MacBook 12", MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are the SAME f'n laptop. Sure, the guts are all different, but a laptop has to have a certain "feel", and to me, they all feel the same.

I've been on this forum since 2011, and I admit, since Apple discontinued the MacBook Air 11", I've barely posted here.

I've also used the 13" MacBook Air quite often, as my wife and son both have had theirs since 2013, both of which are still going strong, but the 13" and the 11" have different feels, which is great. None of the current MacBook lineup stand out on their own, they all look the same, and to me, that's just so boring. Screw the damn retina screen.. give me something unique. Then when I read about the issues people are having with them.. (that damn keyboard).. it's all I hear about.. it's very discouraging, not to mention the price Apple has tacked on to them.. it makes me extremely hesitant, and I REFUSE to upgrade... because I don't think I'm upgrading.

Anyhow, I just wanted to know if anyone out there is like me.. thanks.

2. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Well...ok then lol ya know what I’ve been incredibly glad for? That I DIDNT listen to the hysteria over the keyboard or the price or whatever the hell else people have wanted to complain about. I’ve had a 2016 MacBook Pro with zero issues and a newer air with no issues as well. If I would have let myself get paranoid over what the internet people’s are complaining about, I would have been robbed of years of enjoyment from these products.

Thank god I didn’t listen. But hey. If you wanna hold out and you enjoy what you got, you do you

3. aakshey macrumors 65816

aakshey

@OP, Apple isn’t the problem. You are.

4. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I'm sorry but even as an Apple fan i have to admit that Apple messed up with these keyboard issues. Apple even created a service programe for it, so they know the issue with the keyboard. That isn't anyone else fault but Apple's.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2019 ---
    The only thing that's putting me off from buying a new Mac is the keyboard issues. It seems that it's not just a couple of people reporting the issue. When Apple finally fix the keyboard, i will be buying the new Macbook Air.

The price of the new Air is likely to come down over time (Tim Cook himself said this during an interview) but the price doesn't put me off. Even the feel of the keys don't put me off buying one, in fact i like the fact that they are more accurate to type on, what i don't like is the lack of reliability. As a writer it would be a BAD idea to buy a Macbook with keyboard issues.

5. cedwhatev thread starter macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I guess I wasn't expressing myself properly enough.. and not taking anything away from the actual machine itself.. I don't think it's a bad piece of equipment at all, but I personally just think that the 11" MBA is a standout laptop. It's unique. The new MacBooks are not. They are not unique, they are all basically the same. On top of everything, there IS a keyboard issue.. it's not paranoia, it's the truth. That's basically my point. People are paying more money than ever for these MacBooks, but for three generations of them, there has been issues. I'm glad you've had good luck, I really am.. but I think Apple can do better,.

I bet you enjoy all the new Stars Wars movies too, don't you? lol

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Good luck with your next computer purchase.

7. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

I liked many things about the 12" Macbook but I gave mine to my mom because it just didn't work for me. A single USB-C port is absurd.

She does like it though.

8. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

As nice as the new Air is, I'm not a fan of any laptop where the keyboard will eventually fail. I will revisit buying a new MBA if and when Apple finally get's this issue fully resolved... until then I will stay with my 2012-2015 Apple laptops shown in my sig...

9. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Exactly, my plan is to wait until they repair or replace the keyboard. I'm hoping for updated Mac's this year.

10. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

I took my 13 inch 2018 MB in for a keyboard fix again today---second time in two months.

This time I cannot be without a laptop for another week (the Genius told me they're backed up---might be 10 days).

I normally would never do this, but....I bought an Air to use until my Pro is fixed (hopefully for the last time). I will return it after I pick up 13 inch.

Long story short---many people report no problems, but for those of us that have them? The machines are nightmares.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2019 ---
    My first Mac was the 2008 unibody MacBook. The Mac I lusted after buying two years later was the little 2011 Air. I did end up buying it, but at the time, all I could afford was the base model 2011 with 2GB RAM and 64 GB SSD. 64 GB!!!!

That was a great little laptop. It was gifted to my mother-in-law in Europe years ago. If you like it and they support it, more power to you.

11. cedwhatev thread starter macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

This is what I mean.. I could not WAIT to get that 2010 11" 4/128 back when they revamped those MacBook Airs. I was on this forum and back then, people just seemed way more excited about Apple Products, especially the new laptops. The excitement isn't there anymore.. plus there isn't any variety. I'm also tired of people defending these new Macs like they're the second coming of Steve Jobs. Apple's innovation is just not what it once was.

Sorry you've had so many issues with your $2000 laptop, I hope they fix these issues once and for all.

12. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

This is my point, some people think that i'm over reacting when i say that i'm waiting. I live miles away from the nearest Apple store, not only that but i rely on my computers keyboard everyday (often for hours at a time). For the keyboard to have issues for me at least is a BIG thing.

My plan is to wait and see what Apple do, WWDC is not far away. I have no idea when Apple will update the machines but what i do know is that i can't buy in its current state. It's a shame because the keyboard issue is the only reason that i haven't brought a new Mac. I like the new Air, i like the 13" Macbook Pro with Touch Bar also (altho i probably don't need that much power), i even like the feel of the keys.
    It's simply the fact that the keyboard is having so many issues as to why i haven't brought a new Mac yet.

At first i thought it was just a select few that were having the issue, it turns out that there are people on Twitter and other social media platforms complaining about the same thing. I think it's more widespread than it first appeared. Apple doesn't normally apologise, that's what also stopped me in my tracks from pressing the buy button on a new Air.

IF Apple know that it's a bigger issues than first thought, they will probably issue a fix at some point this year. A keyboard fix could be a redesign OR even a get 4 of the butterfly keyboard, after all they have had more time now to investigate the issue.

13. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Makes me miss my 2011 11 inch!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2019 ---
    The keyboard themselves are fine. Good, actually. The Air feels a little different than my 2018 13 inch. It’s a nice machine.

By the way, I woke it up from sleep this morning and had a static filled screen requiring a hard reset...

Let me tell you, if you’re used to 4 TB ports, you will notice the two missing ones when charging. It’s really convenient to be able to charge from either side. Not so with the Air.

14. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

If it wasn’t for the issues with the keyboard failing I would agree with you. I don’t mind the feel of the keys, in fact I do think they are more accurate which would be good for me when typing. The problem I have is that they are the same keyboard as the 13” MacBook Pro which has the keyboard failures. Also I have seen a few people post on Twitter about the issues with the MacBook Air keyboard.

Someone from the Wall Street Journal had the same issue and wrote an article about it. Apple has even apologised.

I don’t think that will bother me, i will probably only use the one port and that will be for charging. Other than that I use iCloud Drive others for transferring and sending files that I need.

15. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I still use a 2011 11" i5/2GB/128GB daily as my main laptop between home and my classroom! Eight years on and it's still doing most everything I need of it.

16. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Here's kind an update for those looking to pick up an Air.

I generally dock my 13 inch Pro into a 4K LG UltraFine and a 4K Dell Something Or Other Really Confusing Name. The LG uses USB C and for the Dell I use a mini display to USB C adapter (mini display looks better than HDMI to me).

So on paper this machine supports 2 4K displays. In practice? The fans were running constantly. All day. And I'm talking Microsoft Office, Safari and general productivity apps. Mission Control, which I use frequently, seems to run at about 20 FPS. It's not good. I even unplugged the Dell display and went UltraFine only. It made no difference---even one, sort of "Apple approved" 4K display made the fans just wail all day.

If you plan on hooking this guy up to a 4K, watch out.

BTW, can anyone tell me what the bottleneck is here? CPU or lack of a discrete GPU? Or both?

17. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I'm not sure how many of these 4K displays that the Air supports. It's not something that i plan on doing, i already have an iMac 2012 at the home office. When that dies or Apple redesigns the iMac (which ever comes first) i will replace it with another iMac, i think the iMac is a brilliant desktop.

My plan at the moment is to wait until Apple fix the keyboard issue, whether that's with a gen 4 version of the butterfly or a new keyboard. I don't want or expect Apple to go back to the old style keyboard, the current butterfly isn't a bad typing experience in terms of accuracy and how it feels to type on (in my opinion. They need to fix the reliability issues tho.

People i've spoken with have suggested i get the 13" Touch Bar Macbook Pro, however i think that the power would be wasted on me. My use case is semi pro at best, most of my time is writing, researching and more writing. Photo editing and a bit of video editing as well, but it's more of a hobby. I'm very interested in Apple Arcade that will be coming later this year, however i don't think they will be graphic intense games.

18. cedwhatev, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2019

cedwhatev thread starter macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Not really.. because a company that as of last year worth ONE TRILLION DOLLARS (Dr. Evil pose) should not have overpriced products failing on a consistent basis. No one paying $1500-$5000 for a freaking MacBook should have to be bringing it to the Apple store on numerous occassions to be fixed, whether it's the keyboard or screen *cough* New MacBook Airs *cough*

To quote Mugatu, "I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!"

Not really.. but you get the picture. :cool:

19. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Not sure what you mean by the "it" factor. FWIW, I upgraded my aging, but still quite usable, 2013 15" MBP to the 2018 15" base MBP. Quite happy. Thinking about exchanging both my 2013 MBP and first gen iPad Pro for a 2013 MBA.

20. Boyd01 macrumors 601

Boyd01

Still use my 2013 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA as a primary machine and a 2012 quad Mini server for audio/video editing. They do what I want just fine. But I will not hesitate to upgrade to a current model when I need to. Gave my daughter's family a 2018 MBA for Christmas and they all love it. They were just here visiting and my 9 year old granddaughter was playing games and chatting with friends for extended periods.

Now I'm not sure my next laptop will be a MacBook Air and my next desktop may not be a Mac Mini. But I'm definitely sticking with Apple. And as much as I've enjoyed it, I'm not fixated on the 11" MBA. So, I guess I'm not like you. ;)

21. glhiii macrumors regular

Have a 2017 Macbook, hate the keyboard. Am getting a 2015 11” air, selling Macbook.Also don’t like the lack of standard ports on the Macbook.

22. glhiii, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019

glhiii macrumors regular

Got the 11" MBA yesterday -- what a relief, I can actually type on it without the "p" doubling and without hitting the wrong keys. The 11" machine is a marvel. It's too bad they didn't just update it with a thinner bezel and retina screen. The Macbook is wonderful as long as you don't have to type on it. I find that when I try to type something on my 2017 MB, my concentration goes away from what I'm writing to the act of typing itself, which is something of a struggle. The 11" MBA is a relief, even if the screen is inferior.

23. uniquexoxo macrumors member

uniquexoxo

I actually never had an issue with any latest Macbook except the ones that no longer has a glowing Apple logo. Hated it lol

24. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

That means you never had an issue with MacBooks from 2015 and older (except the 2017 MBA)...That are not the „latest MacBooks“. Apple had these problems since then for the last 3 generations. That is definitely too long!

25. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I was ready to buy the latest MacBook Air with the Best Buy sale this week until I saw the Wall Street Journal video this week explaining that even the newest iterations of the butterfly keyboard have problems.

It’s shame Apple haven’t fixed this yet.