iPhone 11 I returned my 11 pro for a 11

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
London
I was so excited to get the 11 pro. I was upgrading from an XR and really wanted the extra camera lens, the amazingly reviewed OLED and the 25g less weight.

however, once receiving the phone I just didn’t get on with the display. It seems muddy and yellowish to me. The fade in and fade out time for bright and low light seemed slow. I was underwhelmed.

now I have the 11 I can’t be happier. The screen seems sharper and more white. Perhaps its a taste thing but I like it so much better. I do miss the telephoto lens but will just learn to stand back and digital zoom like I did with the XR. The less weight I don’t feel much, the size seems largely the same (the screen is bigger on the 11), the alu vs steel sides are not an issue as I use a case and the battery seems largely the same. The fast 20w charger provided with the 11 pro is worth having, but I have many 10w iPad chargers around the house and they are almost as fast.

I say if you don’t mind the extra money and love the oled, the 11 pro is worth it, but for me I like the 11 better and its cheaper ....

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012
I was so excited to get the 11 pro. I was upgrading from an XR and really wanted the extra camera lens, the amazingly reviewed OLED and the 25g less weight.

however, once receiving the phone I just didn’t get on with the display. It seems muddy and yellowish to me. The fade in and fade out time for bright and low light seemed slow. I was underwhelmed.

now I have the 11 I can’t be happier. The screen seems sharper and more white. Perhaps its a taste thing but I like it so much better. I do miss the telephoto lens but will just learn to stand back and digital zoom like I did with the XR. The less weight I don’t feel much, the size seems largely the same (the screen is bigger on the 11), the alu vs steel sides are not an issue as I use a case and the battery seems largely the same. The fast 20w charger provided with the 11 pro is worth having, but I have many 10w iPad chargers around the house and they are almost as fast.

I say if you don’t mind the extra money and love the oled, the 11 pro is worth it, but for me I like the 11 better and its cheaper ....
I feel the same way. I have the pro and I actually prefer the LCD screen better on my eyes.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I just chock up these threads as, "I was going to get the LCD iPhone all along, just wanted to use my return window to test the expensive device", then run to post how they didn't like it or it wasn't worth it.
Now they can tell anyone who listens, "Yea, I had the Pro, it just wasn't worth it."

Last edited by a moderator:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I've always preferred cooler screens but the screens on the Pro and the XS before it have been a comfortable medium for me with True Tone turned off. However, being aware of the benefits of TT, I've opted to keep it on since getting my Pro and my eyes have adjusted to the warmer hues (if it is in fact warmer than my XS, which I will never know because I didn't compare them before turning in the XS).

I think the issue is overblown for most as no matter what temperature your screen may be, your eyes will adjust to it. This would explain the "glue drying" phenomenon.

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
London
I've always preferred cooler screens but the screens on the Pro and the XS before it have been a comfortable medium for me with True Tone turned off. However, being aware of the benefits of TT, I've opted to keep it on since getting my Pro and my eyes have adjusted to the warmer hues (if it is in fact warmer than my XS, which I will never know because I didn't compare them before turning in the XS).

I think the issue is overblown for most as no matter what temperature your screen may be, your eyes will adjust to it. This would explain the "glue drying" phenomenon.
interesting. So turning TT off over time makes the display cooler

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I upgraded from an 8 to a Pro, and the Pro itself feels too big already, but then I'm having a hard time adjusting to the screen. I love the camera(s) though. But I'm wondering if the 11 would be better than the Pro for the screen, but if I feel the Pro is too big already, the 11 will be even worse. Decisions, decisions... (I'm hoping I'll just get used to the Pro and stick with it.)

Reactions: colonelbutt

roguester

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2019
I upgraded from an 8 to a Pro, and the Pro itself feels too big already, but then I'm having a hard time adjusting to the screen. I love the camera(s) though. But I'm wondering if the 11 would be better than the Pro for the screen, but if I feel the Pro is too big already, the 11 will be even worse. Decisions, decisions... (I'm hoping I'll just get used to the Pro and stick with it.)
11 is even bigger. I do notice it from time to time now and am even contemplating on going back to the Pro.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Stick with it, you will adjust. 11 is a downgrade from Pro.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I feel the same way. I wouldn’t say the lcd is better than the oled though but I think the 11 is the better buy.

Reactions: colonelbutt

barondebxl

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
If the 11 pro is too big for you then stay away from the 11

JamieLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2016
If the 11 pro is too big for you then stay away from the 11
No it’s not. The iPhone 11 is barely bigger than the 11 pro I would know because I have all 3 iPhone 11’s.
The real problem of the iPhone 11 vs iPhone 11 pro size comparison is when you put a case on. When you do that on the 11 it becomes a bit uncomfortable vs a 11 pro. If you use naked without case definitely the 11 pro feels much more premium and compact than the 11. The 11 has bezels that you will notice. Not that the pro line do not but they are slim enough not to be annoying compared to the 11.

macher

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2012
I was in the same boat when the X came out having an X. I hated the form factor of the X and stuck with the 8. It will be same upgrading to the Pro from the 8 for me. Hopefully there will be an SE version soon.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
No it’s not. The iPhone 11 is barely bigger than the 11 pro I would know because I have all 3 iPhone 11’s.
The real problem of the iPhone 11 vs iPhone 11 pro size comparison is when you put a case on. When you do that on the 11 it becomes a bit uncomfortable vs a 11 pro. If you use naked without case definitely the 11 pro feels much more premium and compact than the 11. The 11 has bezels that you will notice. Not that the pro line do not but they are slim enough not to be annoying compared to the 11.
Did you read what he said? He said the 11 pro is too big for him. It’s a fact that the 11 is bigger than the 11 pro so why should he go for it if the pro is too big already?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
This is an interesting post because my wife actually told me a while ago that she prefers the screen on her SE to the screen on my phone (then a XS Max, now 11 Pro Max). She said something similar; that basically my screen seemed a little “jarring”. I took that to mean that she didn’t care for the deeper contrast on the OLED screens.

IMO, as a 11 Pro Max owner, it really boils down to a handful of differences; HD OLED screen, steel vs aluminum, telephoto camera. For me, the screen justifies the purchase by itself. I had been waiting for iPhones to get OLED screens since I dabbled with a Galaxy S3 like 6 years ago. Everything else is gravy.

I also understand I’m in a minority of people that care about these things. Any flagship phone built in the last 3 years takes great photos for most people’s purposes. The average user can’t tell the difference between OLED and LCD, and most people put cases on their phones.

Apple also gets this. So they’ve positioned the 11 to be the mainstream phone, and for those of us who want a little more, there’s an option to pay for that. Either choice is valid.

Wishing everyone a happy iPhone season😁

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Why do people feel the need to go this route?
Its a valid comment though, not an insult. I guess some people go for the most expensive option at first, get buyers remorse because they stretched their finances too far, and instead go for the cheaper option. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, maybe they are just being more money conscious and less wasteful.

izzle22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Why do people feel the need to go this route?
Because there are people out there with limited funds that can't afford the more expensive phone. SOMETIMES these people want to justify their less expensive phone as being just as good or better than the more expensive upgraded phone. It's a thing dude, accept it.

Oh wait I see now... You're another one that thinks the lesser 11 is better than the more expensive 11 Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: eagleglen