I shattered my iphone 3g screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btnnaz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. btnnaz macrumors regular

Please do not laugh i am not in the mood right now.

I just want to know what you guys think apple will do for me or how much i will have to pay for a repplacement.

Any help is greately appreciated

2. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

When I cracked my original iPhone screen I was told $250 to replace it with a refurb. Luckily I found one genius who did it for free, but where yours is "shattered" I doubt you'd be as lucky.

3. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

4. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok heres the story. I was on the phone trying to get tickets to a movie and i turn to my friend to tell him they had tickets and im holding the phone with my shoulder and then it slips falls hits the tile. i go to pick it up and the screen is completely shattered all the way through.

Ill post a pic in a sec

5. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

Here

Heres Your Pic Satisfied!

Attached Files:

6. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Oh, the terror. I just had to shield my iPhone's sensors.

7. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

so anyone know what apple will do. that other thread never said what apple really did for that guy

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

:eek:
    ouch, that freakin' hurts...

what about ifixit?
    http://www.ifixit.com/

you might be able to get a replacement screen from them...

9. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Holy crap :eek:... any word on how much that is going to cost you?

10. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Like I said, where it's damaged, they typically charge some sort of fee for replacement. For the original 8gb iPhone which retailed at $599 they charged 250. The new 8gb retails at $599 and the new 16gb retails at $699. I'd say it's roughly half the price to replace it, give or take $50.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As I luckily didn't find out the hard way two days ago, BUY A CASE FOR YOUR IPHONE. I say this not to mock you but to warn everybody. Mine took a 4-foot tumble onto asphalt and the only damage is to my $35 case. I'm not sure, but I think the case protected my screen from scratches by being slightly elevated on the front (it rises up above it, which is physically necessary on any case).

12. taytho macrumors 6502

daaaaaaaaaang, i am sorry to see those photos.

13. btnnaz thread starter macrumors regular

My question is if they wont replace it for free. Will i be able to rebuy it at the 299 price (I had 16gb) or not cause i just upgraded. Will the genuis bar fix it and if so are they gonna charge over 200 dollars:confused::confused::confused:

14. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

You won't be able to rebuy it at the 2 year contract sale price. You got that discount because you signed a 2 year contract. Apple/at&t have already fulfilled their end of the bargain, now you have to fulfill yours by finishing your contract. As opposed to just saying TS, they're probably going to give you a replacement option other than the full retail value ($699) and probably give you a replacement unit (not a refurb yet as the phone is too new) for $250-$350 as an outside-of-warranty courtesy.

15. krussell macrumors newbie

I shattered my new 3Gs face by dropping it on the cement patio less than 24 hours after I bought it. I was told it could not be repaired and only could be replaced by buying a new one. However, my Apple store was awesome and gave me a brand new one! Invest in a rubber type jacket for it.

16. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

OMG. My heart probably would have stopped or something. Im sorry to hear that happened.

This could be a warning to everyone.

Thank you.

17. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Ummmm, what case did you have?

18. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

break

sorry if this was already said.

i was on the phone with :apple: and had asked just in case the screen breaks what do i do. per the representative, she said that i could get a new one for the 199/299 price. i hope that's true. just incase.

she also told me there are insurance plans available from third party vendors that can be found online and at ebay for around $50. i have not looked into it yet but it seems like a good idea.

i have an appt tomorrow at the apple store for battery issues. i will post the outcome soon. hopefully a new battery or phone?

have a good weekend all.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, talk about some serious damage. I don't see Apple replacing it for free, but hopefully you won't have to spend more than what you originally paid for the phone. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

20. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

21. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

You could try selling it on eBay and then put the money you make towards a new iPhone. Some numty on eBay will pay loads for it.

22. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Not to state the obvious here, or anything, but why would anyone risk holding their $1000+ phone between their chin, and shoulder.

Whether it be for 3 seconds, or 25 minutes, that's just, insane.

Apple will probably just say 'You dropped it on purpose, so here is the bill to get it replaced ...'

R-Fly

23. devobail macrumors member

Hey I'm new here, been lurking for a bit just waiting my time to pick up the iphone. Question? Why doesnt AT&T offer insurance on this phone. Or is that for all their phones. I'm about to switch my whole families plan (5 phones) over from sprint. My kids are way to tough on phones for me to be with a company that doesnt offer insurance.

24. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

If Im not mistaken, apple doesnt offer insurance on any of their products. I know you can get applecare, for extended coverage if its defective. However, you can put the phone on your home insurance coverage or renters insurance. They cover it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=523855&highlight=insurance

This post talks about it

25. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

they do, just not for the iphone.