I think its pretty clear what happened with the bleeding screen issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gil22, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Gil22 macrumors member

Wasn't there rumors of a postponed launch because of the production issues? I bet they decided to release the bad batch early and just let the people that dont care keep theirs while swapping out the others. Nothing to lose really...

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you have a source for this conspiracy theory?

3. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have one of the 60% of ipads that bleed. I found this forum because I noticed it first so its not like I am "looking for something wrong" If your one of the lucky ones that don't have it you probably don't realize how bad it is

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

60%! That's quite a number. Derived through math or pulling-out-of-butt?

5. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

Do you guys work for apple or something? Why minimizing what seems to be a fairly large issue with the rushed release of the new ipads?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you work for FUDsters or something? Why maximizing what seems to be a fairly small issue with release of the new iPads?

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

60%? What a laugh. It's the same like this when iPod Touch 4 released last year. Hugggggeeeee back light bleeding thread. I went to the store, bought it, didn't even checked, and found it to be perfect. ha!
    Online forum is just like this. People are flocking here when they have problems. When they have perfect product they just wouldn't post.

8. rdrr, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Fairly large number? You are probably judging this from the amount of posts in the thread. But have you stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, there are people who haven't heard of this, or they are just happy as they can be with their brand new iPad and didn't post on how great theirs is?

If apple really sold 600k - 1 million iPad2s during day one, 60% (360k - 600k) would have caused a media frenzy that would be reported on your local news and not forums at macrumors.com. (no offense arn and macrumors montiors)

9. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

ok good, should be easy to get them to replace mine since its a random defective one then

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

OK and how does that account for last year's bleeding screen issue?

No conspiracy theory needed here. It's just part of the "normal" calculation that goes into manufacturing on a large scale. A certain % will be OK, a certain % will be borderline but unnoticed by the consumer, a certain % will be borderline and returned by consumer, and a % percentage of bad units will escape pre-box inspection.

Once these hundreds of thousands of units are opened who complains? The ones who have borderline units and notice and the ones who got defective units. It's a low number but they are the only ones complaining so it appears high. It's how manufacturing works.

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The tech website razorianfly.com did a poll. So that's (just under) 60 percent of people who took part in a poll on the website razorianfly.com.

Given that there is no proof required that you even own an iPad 2 before pressing YES, NO, or DON'T KNOW, it's perhaps not the most accurate way of gauging the problem.

If however, you have a problem with your iPad 2. Take it to an Apple retail store, or if you don't live near one, send it back to Apple. They'll fix it, or more likely, replace it.

12. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

what id I bought it at best buy, will an apple store still replace it?

13. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

I am not saying yours isn't defective, I believe that there are defective units out there. If it is bothering you, go ahead and replace it. I know that if you make a reservation at the apple store and they determine that yours is defective, they will hold one aside for you and call you once it comes in.

I am debunking your 60% theory, a better estimate would be about 2-3%, maybe 5% at the top end.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Do you have a source for how the rumors of pre-production delays were ignored so they could rush-sell them despite not having enough stock...or whatever your claim was?

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So you signed up to this forum to post this conspiracy nonsense ?

I think it's pretty clear what happened.........

You gave more thought to your user name than you did the content of your post.

16. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

I guess this is MacRumors, so posting your rumor shouldn't get you bashed in, but I am curious if you can validate you numbers? I am not denying that there are obviously iPad 2 bleeding issues but randomly posting stats on the order of magnitude you are speaking about is just asking for backlash.

17. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

18. OptyCT macrumors 6502

With all of the "theories" being thrown around in this thread, here is one thing we do know: Apple stands behind its products 100%. I don't know of another company that backs their products better than Apple. So, if you do have backlight bleeding, you can either return it now and maybe not get a replacement for several weeks, or let Apple know about the issue sometime before you warranty period is up and see how they'll handle it.

19. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Very valid point. Just think of all the Xoom / Droid fanboys probably logging in more than once to click away. I wouldn't put it past those Apple haters. I'm just saying.... :p

20. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

^^ What he said. Or alternatively, take it back to best buy, get a refund and wait 'til you're satisfied that the issues have been dealt with to your satisfaction. Which might be never.

Incidentally, I'm not being facetious with that comment, but rather speaking from personal experience. For a similar reason, I will never buy another 27 inch iMac as long as they use the current backlighting tech. Which might mean that I never get one again :(

Woe is me. Anyone got a violin?

21. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

I hear you. Somebody kicked my teeth in yesterday on another post where I called them out on a crazy post. They pointed out this was "MacRumors" and that it was acceptable to post ridiculous crap. To me, there is a difference between a rumor that the iPad will have a SD slot vs. somebody just thowing out numbers or speculation pulled from their butt. However, that's just me.

22. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

I'll just stick to facts then. It was a fact that there was a rumor that apple was going to postpone the launch of the ipad 2 because of production issues. Its also a fact that it then launched much sooner than anticipated. Its also a fact that people are complaining of issues with their ipads that occurred somewhere in the production process. I will say no more :p

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

1. Fact about a rumor = nonsense
    2. How is it a fact that it launched "much" sooner than anticipated? Who anticipated? When did they think it would launch?
    3. Every launch has people that complain.

24. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Honestly I have never even heard of that URL before...

These 'polls' are flawed from the start since only people with a problem are seeking them out. I have handled 6 iPad 2s since last Friday and ZERO had a problem with bleeding.
    Are there some defective units? Absolutely, every manufactured product will have some issues.
    60% of shipped units? No way.

25. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

Nothing to see here