I *want* 8" iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Jun 23, 2011.

?

Do you want a smaller iPad version?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2011.
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No

169 vote(s)
    81.3%
  3. no opinion

13 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

After extensive use of my parents iPad 2 (superb device), I have simply concluded it is too big and heavy for my needs.
    Besides size, it is also a too heavy to hold single handed for too long.

I have/use an iPod Touch 4G and is wonderful, but it is too small for some the apps I wan to use it for.

My ideal iPad-P (pocket)
    8" screen (more or less)
    7.7" +/- on the long side
    5" +/- width (so I can easily grasp it with one hand)

1280x960 or 1280x800 resolution, depending on the device dimension.

All the abilities of iPad 2 (which will be old version by then)
    768MB of RAM
    plus compass,
    high-megapixel back camera with flash.
    miniSD slot

0.9 Lb max weight.

I expect shorter battery life (obviously), but if it can manage 2/3 the time compared to full size (10 inch) I will be happy.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What makes you think that?

4. joehahn macrumors regular

the roaring sales of Samsung's 7" galaxy Tab.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, there probably is a market. Its just not a very big one.

More to the point, adding a third-sized screen to the iOS universe of products (I'm not really counting the cute little Nano) makes things complicated for developers, web site designers, Apple logisticians, and - most importantly - customers.

Apple tried the "tweener" size device before. The Newton, which didn't turn out so well. Many people blamed the oddball handwriting recognition alphabet you had to learn. But I think its the size of the device: Too big to fit in your pocket like an iPhone or iPod Touch. Too small to be worth putting in a case.

One of the most important business books of the last decade or so has been Barry Schwartz' The Paradox of choice (or on iTunes...). Schwartz makes a compelling argument that having too many choices actually makes people unhappy. As the Publishers Weekly put it:

Apple seems to understand this. Their products, within each category, seem easy to understand, with clear demarcations as to the capabilities and features of each.

Adding a third sized screen into the iOS universe would definitely increase consumer choice. But it would end up confusing and depressing a lot of people too. No 7" or 8" devices will be gracing Apple shelves.

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

What can you do with 8 inches you can't do better with 10?

7. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

iPad-P with 8” screen and you want to carry it in your pocket? I don’t see that happening.

I personally don’t want one, I think the current dimensions are fine.

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I really don't see the need for one but it fills a current display size gap in the whole iPod, iOS and Mac range. Let me explain:

iPod
    Shuffle (No screen)
    Nano (1,5")
    Classic (2.5")
    Touch (3.5")

iPhone
    iPhone 3Gs (3.5")
    iPhone 4 (3.5")
    iPhone 5 (3.7"?)

Gap

iPad
    iPad 2 (9,7")

Mac
    Macbook Air (11")
    Macbook Air (13")
    Macbook Pro (13")
    Macbook Pro (15")
    Macbook Pro (17")
    iMac (21.5")
    (In my opinion, another gap. Not relevant now though)
    iMac (27")
    LED Cinema Display (27")

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is a market it's just very small. I think for most people the current size is fine, and if they want something smaller the iPod touch is available. In my opinion once you get smaller than the current iPad it becomes harder to do stuff on the screen, I don't see any advantage to a smaller screen until it becomes small enough to put in your pocket.

10. radiohed macrumors regular

I have an ipad and go back and forth about whether a 7" screen version would work. I like the 9.7 screen size but it would be nice to have something you could carry around in a coat pocket. I have played around with the 7" Galaxy Tab and HTC Flyer. I like the size a lot but I don't know if it would be ideal for everyday web surfing and some of the art apps I like to use. A 7" ipad would fill that gap between the touch and current ipad. I would imagine this holiday season will see a huge increase in the tablets that are available so we can see how the 7" models do in reviews.

11. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

if APPL made it, they would come $$$$$$$$$$$$

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Until Apple tells the market what they want then you won't be seeing many people admitting that more OPTIONS is a good thing.

Personally, I find 10" to be passable but not necessarily ideal. If there was a kindle sized OPTION Id probably take it of the house more. And if there was a larger 12" size OPTION it would be more practical as a laptop replacement because the bigger scrcram would feel less cramped when doing actual work. But for me then at 10" its mainly used on the couch while lounging.

13. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I just can't see how 8" is a different enough size to make it worthwhile. I don't have any pockets that could fit an 8" iPad and I don't have any bags that can fit an 8" that can't also fit an 9.7" iPad. Plus there is all the disruption to developers of having to support an extra screen size and to Apple's supply chain of having to predict demand for 2 very similar devices.

What I think is more possible is that Apple introduces a paperback book sized device at around 5" to 6". That really would be more portable than a 9.7" iPad while still being easier to read and use than a 3.5" screen. At this size my guess is that they would build up from the iPhone rather than down from the iPad.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This. Apple isn't going to go all Performa with their iDevices.

15. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I'm all in favor of choice and options, but the resolution of apps is a real issue that has to be dealt with in a logical manner. The list of iPod and MacBook screen sizes is not relevant:

iPod: Not an app market (except for early, limited apps).
    MacBook: Same resolution, just different screen sizes, more Web-based.

The iPod touch and iPhone have kept the same screen size all along. Why? Apps. The iPad has kept its screen size. Why? Apps.

If you can come up with an easy way to get apps to appear correctly in different oddball screen sizes, let Apple know, for there are surely a lot of people who would love an iPad Nano if only this issue could be resolved.

16. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

There is no worthwhile market for a smaller iPad.... unless Apple makes one.

You see, there wasn't a worthwhile market for larger tablets until Apple put their phone OS on one and made it look expensive.

As for making it a 16:9 ratio, don't count on it. Apple started developing these things back when TV was SD 4:3. They would be "copying" all the android tablets if they went wide-screen now, and Apple is too proud to go there. Actually I can see them leaping to a 2.35:1 ratio iPad before ever succumbing to the common 16:9 or 16:10.

17. kalex macrumors 65816

Why does it have to always be "carry in pocket". Thats not the reason to get smaller ipad. I for one would prefer ~8" screen simply because its going to be lighter and easier to carry. Its kind of hard to use an ipad on the subway during rush hour in NYC. With high enough resolution and good thought into the design of it it can be very usable. And i'm sure if apple releases it, it will sell millions

And no ipad touch is not a replacement for smaller ipad.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

You say that like it's some sort of obligation for Apple to come out with every possible variation. There are costs associated with new models of anything, including the cost associated with poor sales or sales that fail to live up to projections. Apple isn't any one person and its decisions are driven by business judgments that, so far, have paid off well. If Apple believed a mid-range device would be profitable then they'd do it. It' possible that they will in the future. But they don't owe anyone a broader choice of models.

There are 7" tablet options out there for those who believe that the smaller form is more desirable.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Very small market for this. 7-8 inch display is too big to be a phone and it's too small to be a tablet. This is what it was said during apple share holder press conference.

Also, the resolution that you are asking is completely bogus. 1280? No. The developers will have to go back to their apps and re-write them.

Most of them won't even bother to do so.

If apple ever launches 7-8 inch tablet, then it would not have all the functions like 9.7 inch tablet. 7-8 inch tablet is more of reading device like Kindle and nooks.

20. madat42 macrumors regular

I agree with the above sentiment that if Apple builds a smaller size tablet, it will sell better than others in that category. Why? The same reasons why their 9.7" tablet commands the entire tablet market -- apps, easy entry, and support. Of course, because they already command the market, they don't have to build a smaller one. If the 6-8" tablet market starts to take off, I think only then will Apple respond.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think the 6" - 8" device market has already taken off: Its composed of the Amazon Kindle and the Barnes & Noble Nook. And I think Apple is more than happy to let those companies compete in that particular market space. And while its true that the "dedicated e-reader" is likely to have some e-mail and web-browsing capability, it is unlikely to ever approach the sort of capabilities and pwoer of a device like the iPad.

Its also important to remember that Apple simply isn't a "market follower." Thats not the way Apple is able to achieve the kind of margins it does. Apple didn't jump into the MP3 player market because other companies were doing so well. It started making iPod's because it believed it could do something previous makers couldn't. Ditto with smartphones.

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

If Apple makes it, there will be a market for it.

23. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Some people are describing kindle and nook as a tablet.

Did not know kindle and nook are considered as tablet that is comparable to ipad...

Do they have as powerful CPU and GPU as iPad 2? Nope

Do they support browsing? Nope. Not on kindle and nook just sucks. It's dead slow.

Do they support youtube? Nope. It was too slow on nook. In fact, I almost threw away the display for being so slow.

Do they crash a lot? Yes, nook does.

Those are reading devices. They are not tablets to compete with iPad 2 or even Galaxy Tab.

And if apple makes 7 inch tablet, there will be markets for it? How can you be so sure?

Apple TV was a good start? Nope
    Mobile Me was a good start? Nope

Just because apple start making them that doesn't mean there will be huge interest.

24. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I don't think there is a market for a 7-8 inch ipad, but I do think there is a market for a 5-6 inch ipod touch.

And I think they will eventually bring that to market.