I want flash on my iPhone. The n900 has it!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boonlar, May 13, 2010.

1. boonlar macrumors 6502

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not that the 3GS cant do it, its Apple wont allow it.
    It would be nice to have and be able to turn it off and on when needed but not a dealbreaker for me.

3. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought it would be a good discussion topic since I see lots of apple zombies bashing adobe lately because Mr Jobs keeps crying.

4. capn7 macrumors member

SJ likes men. He's had a crush on Adobe CEO for years and this is how he gets his attention. Plain and simple. :cool:

5. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting theory chap but I doubt it.

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You can get flash some what on the iPhone just get imobilecinema thru cydia.

7. capn7 macrumors member

Yeah well SJ is kinda being a **** about it to promote iAds and stuff to take over advertising. But I'm anxiously waiting for flash to come to Android, as I only have flash lite on my Droid (via Skyfire).

8. ccubed34 macrumors member

ccubed34

well here is what Steve Jobs has to say about flash

"Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short.

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 200,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind."

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

9. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Why not just get the Cloud Browse browser? That has flash, I've been using flash on my iPhone for a day or two now.

10. Aadhil macrumors regular

Looks rather laggy. I'd rather have a Flash-less but smooth running iPhone than a phone with a more difficult user interface and laggy flash apps.

11. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

laggy? it looks to be running at about 80-90% the speed of the desktop version. Again what would stop you from disabling it if you didn't like it? I don't understand why we don't have a choice in the matter. Just give us flash and let us choose whether to use it or not.

It shouldn't be up to Apple to decide what is outdated or obsolete. It should be left up to the consumers. The 90% of computer users out there who use PC's certainly don't want to stop using flash so I don't know where Steve Jobs is pulling this from. HTML5 is great and all but there is so much backing flash. People have centered their careers around flash. It isn't just going to go away.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you like the n900 so much, go buy it. Otherwise, see horse, beating dead for more.

13. boonlar thread starter macrumors 6502

I would but it doesn't have the 3G band for AT&T. Also don't you think it's kind of sad that a customer would have to leave the iPhone just to get access to the full internet?

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'm an MS Zombie and even I want flash to die.

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

If Flash is such an integral part of your web browsing experience, get a device that supports it.

It's that simple.

16. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I don't really care weather flash dies or not, or if HTML whatever becomes the new standard or what not. What I do care about is the fact when I get a link to a video in my email and it tells me that I can't watch it because you need flash player enabled. I want to use the Internet, not the Internet according to Steve. I'm not gonna cry about it though, it is what it is. Android is comming into it's own, and will soon rape the iPhone at everything including apps, and I know when an android phone comes out that I like, I can buy it and have everything I want, including flash. I wouldn't be suprised if android starts taking more and more of the iPhone developers away, considering it's such a pita to develop, then go through the app aproval process, then them say "sorry, no" and your possibly out of luck. Whos gonna want to develop for it with all the rules and restrictions?

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Unfortunately, it would be nice to have the choice, but it isn't a dealbreaker for me either.

Agreed. It's not like it is a big secret that Apple doesn't allow flash. If the iPhone doesn't meet your needs, then get something that does. There are other great phones out there.

18. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

19. fluffer macrumors member

Surely it cant get simpler than this: Flash will categorically impact on the goldmine that is Apps. Why would SJ allow any erosion on his incredibly profitable income stream through development of Apps if Flash was allowed, a great deal of Apps would be superflous as equally good alternatives would be free online....with Flash. Scenario: should I pay for an App through the App Store or play it online for free?

20. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

Yeah, And I want a F**king Pony but I don't start threads about it.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I still don't understand what prevents Apple or Adobe from providing a Flash media player.... I find the non-multimedia aspects of Flash about as useful as .NET.

EDIT:

Not available outside of US. :(

22. svndmvn Guest

it's free so just make an american account and download it..
    you can create one and choose none payment only after trying to download a free app. So log out from your current account, go the US app store, find cloud browse, download it, when prompted for an account create one and you'll see that option appear, go on and you'll have an US account and cloud browse..
    What's actually more interesting is you can use cloud browse for Pandora out of the US as well.

23. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I don't think this argument holds up at all.
    Apple are publicly committed to HTML5 - already capable of delivering Flash-like videogames. 3D and so on.

On top of that they are creating browser functions - which allow Cocoa-like full-screen interfaces to be be built into web apps. Even allowing those Apps to have local storage.

Apple have expressed no interest in controlling Apps coming in through the web. They have left the door open.

The "Apple has banned Flash to drive people to the App store" just does not hold up.

The reason for not implementing Flash content in Safari, is that most legacy Flash content is simply hostile to mobile devices.

C.

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You are absolutely right. And it _isn't_ up to Apple to decide what is outdated or obsolete. However, it _is_ up to Apple to decide what runs on the iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad. You as a consumer can decide whether you think Flash is outdated (buy an iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad) or not (buy something else or buy nothing).

If people have centred their careers around Flash: Here's news. Apple doesn't owe them anything. As a software developer you have a great opportunity to learn Objective-C and Cocoa.