I went with an iPad2. Did I make the right decision?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ozziegn, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I finally decided to take the iPad plunge and I bought an iPad2. reason being is because I keep reading about people complaining about how their iPad3s run hotter and their battery life isn't quite up to par vs. the iPad2.

not having the high def screen or the higher front camera ratting wasn't a big deal to me. we don't live in an LTE area so that wasn't a big deal either.

so what do u guys think? did I make the right decision or should I get an iPad3 for future OS compatibility reasons on newer hardware?

2. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

I guess that isn't a very smart move. First off, the iPad 2 is only $100 cheaper, but you lose the vastly improved screen that still amazes me every time I look at it. Second, the device isn't unbearably hotter; it's simply warmer. The battery life, from my experience, is superb.

3. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Which is more important to you?
    The upgrades, or the 100 dollars? That's the only way to know if you made the right decision.

Personally I think the screen alone is worth it, and the A5X will future proof you for a while at least (unless you like to upgrade every year or so)

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Are you happy with your iPad?
    Mine is fine, I have an iPad 2. I probably would have waited but won mine at work in October. That said, mine is still great and works fine for me.

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but IMO, I think you made a good decision, but I don't agree with the reasoning. If you don't care about the retina display or LTE, then I'd say the iPad 2 is a better fit, especially if cost is an issue.

However, my battery life on my 3rd Gen iPad is pretty much identical to my iPad 2. It only runs mildly warmer when I'm using it for extended periods of time (several hours) or if I'm running something graphically intensive. I love the retina display, LTE is a big bonus to me, and more and more, developers are going to be tailoring their apps for retina display.

If cost isn't a big issue for you, go the extra distance, and get the 3rd gen iPad, WiFi only.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

In my opinion you made a poor choice. While I don't think its worth it for a current iPad 2 owner to upgrade to the new iPad I certainly wouldn't have bought a new iPad 2 at this point.

The battery runs fine on my new iPad and the heat issues have been grossly exaggerated. Mine has never gotten hot despite playing some of the most graphically complex games for hours. It gets slightly warm.

Once you've used an iPad with the retina display and you suddenly go back to the iPad 2 there is a huge, noticeable difference. However, you kinda have to use the new iPad for awhile to really get it.

I think you should return the iPad 2 for a new iPad -- its not worth the $100 difference even taking LTE out of the consideration.

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I think you should take it back and get the 3.

We got 2 iPad 3 and they both work great. My battery lasts for days, and haven't had any heat issues.

8. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I think you should have gone for the iPad 3. It's one thing for those who already own an iPad 2. In that case, the upgrade may or may not be worth it. But I think for new owners the $100 savings is far outweighed by how much better the iPad 3 is than its predecessor. They only run slightly warmer and only when running apps that tax the hardware. In most cases, you won't even notice the warmth. I don't have an earlier version to compare it to, but I think battery life is great. I use mine daily for a variety of tasks and only have to charge it every couple of days. As others have said, the screen alone is well worth the $100 price differential.

9. xdbuix macrumors 6502

No heating problems or battery problems on my 3. If that was what held you back from the 3, I think u should still get the 3. Awesome screen.

10. ozziegn thread starter macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

all very good points. now I'm thinking..........................

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

If its not a financial issue I would suggest exchanging the two for a three. If you change your mind you can return it within its return period and go back to the two.

I agree with what numerous people have said, for those who already have a two, it may not be worth it to upgrade. I had an original iPad and the upgrade was huge for me. For what it's worth, I've decided (for now) to go with every other model of iPhones and iPads. The 2 year phone upgrade period got me on that track though. :)

12. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I own all three generations. My iPad 2 was a wonderful device with a beautiful bright screen, noticeably snappy processor, and great battery life. I personally think you made a good decision, especially if you don't care about LTE or a better camera. I just bought my parents a clearance iPad 2 because I didn't think the upgrades on 3 would make any difference for them and I counseled a friend to buy his wife one as well as her first iPad. My iPad 3 does have a noticeably shorter battery life but then I am running it on 75-80% brightness so that the screen looks like nice and bright like the iPad 2 that my husband inherited. And it does run warmer although I wouldn't deem this a major issue. Also, it takes markedly longer to charge - about 6 hours for a full charge, according to both Apple and personal experience. Now the retina screen is very, very nice but I wouldn't say it is totally mind-blowing, especially at this point when most apps are not maximized for it. I do really love the LTE and the nicer camera is a plus although I seldom use it. So I wouldn't second-guess myself too much or worry that you've sold yourself terribly short. The iPad 2 is a great machine, not outdated at all, and $100 cheaper. As many have said, it seems the even year models for iPhone have been the most perfected models. Not bleeding edge but well thought out. Think about it - 2, 3GS, 4S. I think it is perhaps the same with iPad. The 4th generation iPad will work out any kinks with the bleeding edge 3rd generation. I'm sure I'll get down voted for saying all of this.:rolleyes:

13. Twenty Two macrumors newbie

Twenty Two

I think you made the right move. Yes the screen is better on the Ipad 3.... blah blah. Apple knows what they are doing they are just banging out products to make some more cash....

You have already seen this with the Iphones, after every two models is when you can REALLY tell a difference.

14. MacAuditor macrumors member

You did smart by getting an ipad 2.

ipad 3 has whites issue, super famous for tint push. Most of them have rainbow tints. If you like rainbows, get the ipad 3.

Unfortunately the backlight bleeds is present on all ipads (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, etc etc etc till the generation 38 becomes available).

15. Chairman.Jobbie, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

Should get an iPad 3 all day long. Id change it if i was you and had extra cash.

1 - Amazing screen. This alone.
    2 - Havent noticed a battery difference. Could be very slightly less...?
    3 - What heating issue? I havent experienced it. Maybe warmer but no biggie.
    4 - And longevity.

16. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Get the 3 dude... I can't stand the screen on an iPad 2 anymore.

17. elmz macrumors regular

Agreed, the screen alone is worth the extra $100.

18. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Yes and this is why.

The $100 difference would easily buy you some incredible apps so its not about the newest machine being the only one worth getting.

19. jojoba macrumors 68000

The iPad2 is still an excellent device, so if you're happy with it I say just enjoy it :)

20. lilsoccakid74, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

I think if your already spending $400, what you get for the extra $100 makes it a no brainer. In the end, you may even get more longevity with the new model (ios/app support), which could possible make it cheaper in the long-run.

But that is just an opinion. More importantly, enjoy whichever you choose, they are both great devices.

Ps. Please disregard any talk of heat issues. Its all silly. If you can hold a luke-warm cup of coffee without pain, your good to go. :)

21. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

In your shoes I would have just paid the extra $100 and got the three because I honestly think the extra cost is proportional to the upgraded features you'll receive. However, the determination also depends on how and what you'll use your iPad for. I do A LOT of reading on my iPad so the cripser text that comes with the retina display is a God-send. But, if you believe you will not benefit greatly from the ultra hi-def display, speedier processor, better camera, etc. then go ahead and stick with the 2.

Also, the problems you listed have been practically non-existant on my 3. No heat issues and battery life is comparable to the iPad 2.

So, with all that said, I vote that you return your 2 and get the 3 if you're able to afford the extra costs.

22. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I always buy every second generation after the initial purchase.
    I started with the first iPad and then bought the 3rd gen iPad which is a huge jump and improvement.
    The iPad 2 is a good device and runs everything fine right now but besides the screen difference there is the ram difference too.
    The iPad 3 has 1gb of ram and the iPad 2 has half of that.
    The ram issue became very apparent on the original iPad once iOS 5 was released and I have a feeling the same will happen to the iPad 2 once iOS 6 comes out.
    If that is the case you going to want to upgrade to the iPad 4 when it comes out and the little bit you saved now will be gone.
    if you purchase the iPad 3 now you should be set till the iPad 5 comes out.
    So right now unless money is a real issue I would get the iPad 3.

Anyway this is just my way of thinking and I'm sure others will have different view points.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You shouldn't have believed the hype. The screen and heat issues are blown way out of proportion. Of course that's all you read about because those are the people that will complain. My screen's fine, no heat issues whatsoever and the retina screen and LTE (even though you wouldn't be able to use it) are well worth the $100 price differential. If you are still within the 14 days, take it back and get a 3, you'll be glad you did. My wife has a 2 and every time I use it, it feels like I forgot to put on my glasses.

24. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

My wife gets my tech hand me downs and she loved the ipad 1. I was with android for a while then I came back home. I got the ipad 3, I read alot so the screen makes a big difference for me. I dont find it that fast but Im not looking to split atoms with it. I find the battery life excellent and I have a cover on it so the getting warm issue isnt a issue. Mine never got omg hot just annoying sometimes but the case fixed that. Apple makes a iphone with a bigger screen,I will then pitch my epic.

25. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Ditto....agreed. Don't understand. He just said the screen is not a big deal. So half respond saying get the iPad 3 because of the screen? :confused:

I'd say if you use the iPad at high brightness, outside, at the coffee shop, on the patio, you are better off with the iPad 2. You will get significantly longer battery life according to Anandtech. (10.1 hrs vs 5.57 hrs)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/10 Not everyone uses it at high brightness. If not, then battery life is about the same.

Battery charging is longer. Makes sense. The battery is 70% larger than the iPad 2 and it uses the same charger as the iPad 2. Put another way, you're filling a 70% larger "bucket" (battery) with the same 10W USB "hose".

If you're not using it in bright areas, and don't mind having it on the charger longer, and have the extra cash, then iPad 3 is a good choice. Otherwise, the iPad 2 is a perfectly fine device for your needs. And as MacAttacka said, use the $100 you save and buy yourself some nice apps or accessories.