Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RGlideKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Hello all,

Glad to be a part of this forum. I currently have a 2014 MBP13 and am very likely to upgrade to an iMac (not the pro) within the next month or so.
I am not a gamer, so the big demand I will throw at the iMac will be Lightroom and Photoshop editing 24mb+ RAW image files. I am currently not shooting many videos, but will want to keep my future options open with that as my newest DSLR has 4k video ability. Editing videos seems like the next logical step for me, but I can't see it being the primary use for the iMac. My first love is photography, not videography.

I have my eye on the AMD 580 w/8gb, with the 512SSD and 8gb RAM. I won't have any problems upgrading the RAM, and will likely end up with 40gb total on board immediately after getting the iMac in.

My questions:
1) Will Lightroom and Photoshop take advantage of the i7 enough to justify the upcharge for it? IE., will I be disappointed in the i5 3.8 in the long run?

2) Heat. I've heard the i7 can get really hot, but then I've heard the i5 isn't that far behind in the heat generation arena. Will LR and PS tax the i5 (or the i7 for that matter) to the point where it will get too hot?
I realize I can stop the processor from using turbo mode, and assume that could help, but I am concerned; as heat = fan noise. I like my MBP as it is very silent.
3) Will I regret one processor over the other due to fan noise?

Hopefully I've worded this in a way that makes sense, and that I've asked the appropriate questions.

Thanks in advance for your comments and thoughts!

EvanEiga

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2015
I have the same dilemma. I always get i7 over i5 but I am open to get an i5 this year (if I do upgrade)

RGlideKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I found what may be a partial answer to my question about speed of the processor while using Lightroom.
For you photographers out there, you may find this article to be of particular interest!
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...Intel-Core-i7-7700K-i5-7600K-Performance-880/
Particularly, the difference back in January (with the previous version of LR) between the i7 and the i5 seem very negligible - at least in this series of tests. I found these stats to be rather interesting, even tho the timings were taken using PC motherboards.
I'd still be interested in my heat and fan noise questions from Post #1, plus your comments on this web site.

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
If you use Photoshop, Photoshop takes great advantage of HyperThreading. Only the I7 has hyper threading. That can make a bigger difference when compared only with Lightroom.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
if you can wait for the next one, it seems the next gen i5 will be on par with current i7 performance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.