Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
nuckinfutz said:
Of course the intel iBooks aren't available.

The Intel Core Solo chips aren't ready for delivery yet.

Maybe I'm crazy but I though Steve Jobs said that all the systems will use the dual core chips. I could be wrong though.

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I'm still really psyched about the MBP. I haven't owned an apple myself since the G3-3400 I had (ah yeah...), though my wife still has an orange & white iBook in the closet. Anyway, as has always been the case with Apple (and most computer companies) if I sit and wait for the next revision or speed bump, I'll be stuck in that perpetual cycle of waiting and regretting it when the next great thing comes out.

I think the MBP is great, especially as a reintroduction to Apple. Even though I was running an OSx86 machine, it still doesn't really give the same feel, and after all these years I still miss using an Apple.

Btw, hello everyone. :cool:

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Hmmm, April 1st the 30th anniversary of Apple Computer, Inc. is on the first day of the new quarter. It may turn out not to be an April Fools day after all.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
danielwsmithee said:
When is Merom suppose to come out?

I would think eventually the MacBook Pro would contain Merom chips. While the MacBooks would have Core Duo (Yonah). With the prices of the Core Duo's I can't see any product recieving the single core chips.

I assume they are going to wait on the 12" PowerBook replacement untill the Low Voltage Chips are available to make a truelly compact sub notebook.

MacBook Pro
12" Replacement 1.66 GHz ULV Core Duo (10" Widscreen)
15" Replacement 1.66 or 1.83 GHz Core Duo
17" Replacement 2 or 2.16 GHz Core Duo

MacBook - one model
13.3" Widescreen 1.66 GHz Core Duo

Merom will be out roughly in a July 2006 timeframe.

I think the replacement for the iBook will be Core Solo

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
sfwalter said:
Maybe I'm crazy but I though Steve Jobs said that all the systems will use the dual core chips. I could be wrong though.

I'd have to review that quote. I know Apple cannot afford to put Intel Duo Cores in sub $999 laptops and they do need a model at this price or less.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Heart Break Kid said:
w00t First Post!

Ok not really.

I am looking hoping to see the Rev B Macbook Pros out around June. I figure by that time, they'll get the kinks worked out from this run and will probably get a slight speed bump. Dual core 2.0 anyone?

Agreed. I'd like to see what issues arise with gen 1 before I drop down some serious cash. Don't get me wrong, the MBP destroys my current PB in terms of performance, but I just have to wait and see.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Missleading comment by Steve Jobs...

I think it's quite missleading for Steve Jobs to say, "two processors" in the new MacBook Pro and iMac. For a while after the keynote I took that to mean two separate chips - each with dual cores. But now it sounds to me like just one dual-core chip. Can anyone confirm this for me?

And if the MacBook Pros had two dual core chips, I got excited to think the Intel iBook would have a single, dual-core chip in it.

Oh well ;-\

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
danielwsmithee said:
When is Merom suppose to come out?

I would think eventually the MacBook Pro would contain Merom chips. While the MacBooks would have Core Duo (Yonah). With the prices of the Core Duo's I can't see any product recieving the single core chips.

yeah i agree. i think when steve & co announced the intel switch merom was always the chip they were going to use, but then yonah specs started coming out and steveco figured he might as well hit the two products that would benefit most from yonah... the very out of date powerbook and the ultra high profile imac.

imo, merom will be the true unveiling of macintels. ibooks become the ultra portable lineup with yonah's, mac mini gets a yonah. imac and redesigned macbook pro get merom. desktops get conroe. servers get woodcrest.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
AI ALSO says that additional MacBook Pros (12-13", 17-20", whatever) are NOT expected until AFTER the April-May iBook-MacBook update:

"will continue to build on the MacBook Pro product line later this year with the addition of new models, but will first introduce a fresh wave of iBook consumer laptops" (Bold mine)

I'd have expected the whole laptop line (and Mac Mini for that matter) to transition much sooner, myself--but MR is right, AI has a good record on these things lately.

I do expect Core Solo to go into the iBook-MacBook and into the Mac Mini.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
MacVault said:
I think it's quite missleading for Steve Jobs to say, "two processors" in the new MacBook Pro and iMac. For a while after the keynote I took that to mean two separate chips - each with dual cores. But now it sounds to me like just one dual-core chip. Can anyone confirm this for me?

And if the MacBook Pros had two dual core chips, I got excited to think the Intel iBook would have a single, dual-core chip in it.

Oh well ;-\

The dual-core Yonah has 2 processors on the same cast..

Jobs never said the new intels had two dual cores.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
nuckinfutz said:
I'd have to review that quote. I know Apple cannot afford to put Intel Duo Cores in sub $999 laptops and they do need a model at this price or less.

I don't know.

The Intel price sheet has a $32 dollar difference in trays of 1000 or more. If they had the entire product line dual core they could get greater discounts and have them at aproximately the same price. Apple would be making one large order instead of two smaller orders. The sub $900 price point can still be made up elsewhere in the hardrive, and display (especially if they stick to 1024 pixels wide).

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
danielwsmithee said:
I don't know.

The Intel price sheet has a $32 dollar difference in trays of 1000 or more. If they had the entire product line dual core they could get greater discounts and have them at aproximately the same price. Apple would be making one large order instead of two smaller orders. The sub $900 price point can still be made up elsewhere in the hardrive, and display (especially if they stick to 1024 pixels wide).

Having one less core drops power requirements which reduces battery size, etc. that would save Apple additional costs.

It really comes down to Apple wanting to have more differentiation in their laptop line or not.

StkhlmSyndrm23

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2005
Chicago, IL
The MBP will be switching to Merom later this year anyway. I don't see why in a couple of months it wouldn't make sense for Apple to come out with the new iBook at 1.66ghz Core Duo, because the MBP might be at 2 or 2.16 by that point anyway. I personally would feel a little bit snubbed if they didn't drop in a Core Duo for 42 extra bucks. And that iBook (or whatever it will be called) won't ever have a competetive chance if they plan on crippling it like that. Sure the Core Single will still be faster than the 1.42 G4 by any measure...but when you're taking into account programs running through Rosetta translation will it really be any faster? I doubt it.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
I'll wait to see some real-world bechmarks. The extra core may not be as big of a boost as everyone makes it out to be. A single-core MacBook may more than hold its own--which admittedly is what I'm hoping because I can afford $2000 for a computer.

Here's to hoping for a $1000 MacBook with 13" widescreen LCD and 2.0 ghz single-core Yonah.

jjd

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
sfwalter said:

He definitely said something like: "all of our Intel macs use duos" or "are duos". I guess this would not preculde them from releasing single core chips later - but I got the impression that he was intimating all Intel macs will always be dual and making a virtue of it.

I notice no one is saying much about the PowerMacs - or "Mac Pros" I guess. Is the general consensus that these will be last to go to Intel? I was all set to buy a G5 Powermac immediately after MacWorld - but given the speed bumps on the iMacs I just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on a G5 tower. I have got to believe that the Mac Pros are going to be super fast. I hope I don't have to wait until Q4 2006 for them...

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
jjd said:
I notice no one is saying much about the PowerMacs - or "Mac Pros" I guess. Is the general consensus that these will be last to go to Intel? I was all set to buy a G5 Powermac immediately after MacWorld - but given the speed bumps on the iMacs I just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on a G5 tower. I have got to believe that the Mac Pros are going to be super fast. I hope I don't have to wait until Q4 2006 for them...

The Intel based replacements for the PowerMac will not use Core Duos, those are laptop processors. Apple is waiting on the next generation multi-core desktop class processors.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
stoid said:
Which coincides nicely with Apple's 30th anniversary yes?

Yes, it seems quite fitting that the 30th Anniversary is on 1st April 2006 and Steve did mention that they were not sure what they would do on that day. So I believe they will release some sort of "special event" on that day to release some more products. As special events seem to be the next keynote thing and Steve always hints at something for a future event or product at present keynotes.

Mark done April 1st, you can count on it. :)

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
Marvy said:
Woohoo, so the rumors are starting again... they never stopped actually did they? *Bangs head on table* "WHEN WILL THEY STOP!!!"

Aaaaanyway, maybe will see some black iBooks in Q2, that would fit very nicely to the nanos.
I'm also betting on single core yonahs in the iBooks to keep them out of the territory of the Pro-Line. Then again, with the iMac being equipped so nicely, who knows.

What's also conceivable is that future iBooks and the Mac Mini will get the current Yonah dual core chips, and the MacBook Pro and iMac will get the 64 bit dual-core mobile chips ("Merom"), scheduled to be released the second half of the year.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
csimmons said:
What's also conceivable is that future iBooks and the Mac Mini will get the current Yonah dual core chips, and the MacBook Pro and iMac will get the 64 bit dual-core mobile chips ("Merom"), scheduled to be released the second half of the year.

Let us hope so. Merom is going going to have a TDP of roughly 35 whilst the Yonah DC has 30 or so. If Merom isn't significantly more expensive I could see Merom taking over by Q1 2007 in everything but the lowest of end.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
maya said:
Yes, it seems quite fitting that the 30th Anniversary is on 1st April 2006 and Steve did mention that they were not sure what they would do on that day. So I believe they will release some sort of "special event" on that day to release some more products. As special events seem to be the next keynote thing and Steve always hints at something for a future event or product at present keynotes.

Mark done April 1st, you can count on it. :)
I wouldn't expect too much out of the 30th anniversary other than a mention on their website. The 25-year anniversary went without much fuss. Same with the 20-year anniversary of the Mac.

C

CompUser

I don't know if anyone has said this but why would they change the name of the iBook, and not the iMac?

they both have i's.

I doubt they will drop the "i", think about the iiiiiPod term.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
MacPod

Why not leverage both the Mac name and the iPod name?

If it's a tablet (hey! I can wish, can't I?), then they'd be best off calling it the MacPod. It's a pod (about the size of half a piece of paper) and it's a Mac.

Just think of the caché. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.