Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
steve_hill4 said:
I still believe strongly that the iMac and MacBook Express will go White/Black options. I saw the cover of MacWorld with the mock up of the black iMac and black Mighty Mouse and almost started drooling at the thought.

And as for complaining about rumours, stop coming to a rumours site then.
i remember when you bought a G4 Powermac in 1999 you would get a black keyboard and a black mouse.
(that powermac below)
So if they come out with a black imac and a black mighty mouse don't be suprise that it comes with a black keyboard

Attachments

• g4_2.jpg
    g4_2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 77

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Well, since this thread now seems to be about product line names, let me make a stab at the full list, coming this April, guaranteed:

Music Devices:
iPod Video
iPod Nano
iPod Shuffle

Laptops:
MacBook Pro
iBook

Desktops
iMac
Mac mini
MacTower Pro

Other Devices:
MacPod - Mac OS-based tablet
MacPanel - Mac OS-based plasma display
MacTunes - Hardware-based iTunes panel (with iPod dock)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
~Shard~ said:
Then, take the single core Yonahs when they are out in a few months
Are Core Solos expected to take that long? Somehow I got it into my head that they were expected just 1-2 months after Core Duo.

eVolcre said:
So, they do the logical thing and upgrade the look of the iBook to coincide with the new chip but leave the powerbook the same??? ... I really really think that the currrent MacBook is a placeholder and we're going to see new designs/cases by April 1st. *fingers crossed*
That could be fun but I think it won't happen--certainly not THAT soon (maybe with Merom). The aluminum look is a very durable and minimalist design that is going to last Apple a while. They put work into the MacBook design--it's not the exact same case as the PowerBook, merely styled the same--and I don't think they plan to waste that. The other sizes when they come will match I'm sure.

macosxuser01 said:
You won't wait till Q4 2006. I'm guessing Apple will come out with super fast Mac Pros(powermac) on April 1st, 2006. April 1st will be the biggest day for Apple in history sense Steve Jobs released the first iMac back in 1997
Intel's Conroe chips aren't expected to exist until the second half of the year. The new PowerMacs will have to wait, I fear.

starnox said:
Can someone link me to the intel road map with all the chip codenames and info about them. Cheers
Here are some links, but not necessarily to the latest most precise info--I still have questions myself:

http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/Roadmap2006.htm

http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051012-5424.html

Just what IS the latest word on schedule for a) Core Solo, b) Merom and c) Conroe?

steve_hill4 said:
I still believe strongly that the iMac and MacBook Express will go White/Black options.
Sounds logical to me! Especially for the iMac. It's a top seller, able to sustain having a few more models in inventory perhaps.

Black computers can be pretty boring these days--but Apple's thick ultra-gloss look in black would be very cool on an iMac.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
That could be fun but I think it won't happen--certainly not THAT soon (maybe with Merom). The aluminum look is a very durable and minimalist design that is going to last Apple a while. They put work into the MacBook design--it's not the exact same case as the PowerBook, merely styled the same--and I don't think they plan to waste that. The other sizes when they come will match I'm sure.

I don't know the exact names but I saw a post that said the G3(??) were fitted into the old case and then withing 3 months there was a new design (i think it was the wallstreet)

G3/G4 not sure. Point is that they rushed out a new laptopn in the old case and changed it in THREE months.

I'm sure the old design is classic and long lastung but it just isn't APPLE not to change a design. When was the last time this happened? Added to the fact that we are moving to INTEL!! There is NO way that we wouldnt see a change in the case. April 1st - I still think we're going to see a new iBook and a newly dwsigned Powerbook. I'm not going to use the macbook pro name. Its too damn long to say ... :)

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
nagromme said:
Intel's Conroe chips aren't expected to exist until the second half of the year. The new PowerMacs will have to wait, I fear.

Trust me by April they will have Intel Powermacs (or MacPower whatever the name is) Remember Steve Jobs said they were switching to Intel Macs at WWDC last June, and said you would see Macs would Intel chips in June of 2006. thats six months ago. so they had to wait for Intel to start making a new chip. April is four months away if you can count and Apple always comes out with things early then there expected to come.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Lacero said:
Time for a re-design. The white finish has got to go for something cooler looking. Perhaps charcoal gun-metal with gold accents? Bling bling.
I think the next iBooks will have the goal of having the look and feel of iPods. People love the iPods and Apple will want to capitalise on that. When you open a future iBook, I think the bottom of the base section will have the silver finish of the iPod, and your hands will rest on the black or white finish. The screen will resemble the iPod screen. Maybe they'll throw in a pair of iPod headphones too :)

dontmatter said:
macbookpro=powerbook,
macbook=ibook.
Makes sense, but I think it's wrong :) For instance, we have "Final Cut Pro", "Final Cut Express", and "iMovie" - where is plain old "Final Cut"? Same goes for "Filemaker Pro".

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
eVolcre said:
I'm not going to use the macbook pro name. Its too damn long to say ... :)
word.
it is very to long to say and i would be mad if the ibooks name changes to macbook because people will start being confuse.
yahhh da mean???

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
eVolcre said:
I don't know the exact names but I saw a post that said the G3(??) were fitted into the old case and then withing 3 months there was a new design (i think it was the wallstreet)
That's true, but that first G3 really WAS the old design as I recall--not just a design of a similar style like the MacBook is.

The MacBook is more like Lombard (the second PBG3): similar styling, but new dimensions and internal layout.

And yes it IS like Apple to change designs sometimes, but not every time: the PowerMac G4 kept the PowerMac G3 design with only a color change, followed by smaller design tweaks over the years.

The evidence is before us that Apple did not change the whole look when they went to Intel--not for the MacBook nor the iMac. That does NOT mean a new iMac style is just about to come out, nor a new MacBook style.

Possibly with Merom/Conroe later this year, or maybe not.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
macosxuser01 said:
Trust me by April they will have Intel Powermacs (or MacPower whatever the name is) Remember Steve Jobs said they were switching to Intel Macs at WWDC last June, and said you would see Macs would Intel chips in June of 2006. thats six months ago. so they had to wait for Intel to start making a new chip. April is four months away if you can count and Apple always comes out with things early then there expected to come.
Apple doesn't always come out with things early :p And they are dependent upon Intel. If the next desktop chips (Conroe) aren't out by April (which they won't be by all signs I've seen) then that's that. All Apple could do would be a hot, noisy, mediocre Pentium stopgap machine, and with a nice G5 lineup already there's no need for that.

Also, for the record, Steve did NOT say Macs would be switching in June--and they are NOT earlier than he said they would be. He never got that specific, he just said the first Intel Macs would be out in 2006, BY (meaning at the LATEST) June.

Here's a full transcript of Steve's June 2005 keynote (Intel stuff starts on page 3):
http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-5748045.html

The relevant quotes about the schedule:

"We are going to begin the transition from the PowerPC to Intel processors and we're going to begin it for you now and for our customers next year."

"Now this is not going to be a transition that happens overnight, it's going to happen over a period of a few years. Again, we've got great products right now and we've got some great PowerPC products in the pipeline yet to be introduced. But starting next year we will begin introducing Macs with Intel processors in them and over time these transitions will again occur. So when we meet here again this next time next year, our plan is to be shipping Macs with Intel processors by then, and when we meet here again two years from now, our plan is that transition will be mostly complete. And we think it will be complete by the end of 2007."

"Again, we're making awesome machines right now, we've got a lot of great PowerPC products in the pipeline, but we're also working to design some Intel-based Macs and when we're here next year, we plan to have them in the marketplace and there will be a transition over the next two years."

Those quotes give us a range of January to June ("by then") to begin the transition. Apple's on the early end of that, happily, but NOT earlier than anything they said.

Apple IS early on ending the transition though: it's expected now to be completed this year :)

nagromme said:
And yes it IS like Apple to change designs sometimes, but not every time: the PowerMac G4 kept the PowerMac G3 design with only a color change, followed by smaller design tweaks over the years.

Or for that matter, the ipod. sure, they made a few changes, but they've kept a lot the same, too. 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen, if I'm correct, are really similar.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
p0intblank said:
I've already quit getting hyped up from rumor sites, but I have to say that AppleInsider did get everything correct, and they were saying all this for a couple months now. If I had to listen to any rumor sites, it'd have to be AI.

As for new Mac minis, I really hope they are dual-core. I don't feel I should wait for them, though, since I am really wanting an iMac right now. I don't expect the Mac mini to be dual-core, being the baseline of the Mac lineup, so why wait? But if I'm wrong, I guess I could get the mini... I'm arguing with myself now. :p

To get an iMac or not to get an iMac? That IS the question, folks! :(
Be iMaccing! Go for the iMac. :D

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
So Confusing

This is really horrible. I moved to Apple last year because they are really simple and NOT confusing. What's with MacBook Pro, is that not a S*** name? Almost everyone i asked said so... I think, based on the MacBook Pro, the names will be:

iBook - MacBook

PowerBook - MacBook Pro

However with the Clamshell iBook's advert as iMac to go, why not still call it an iBook other wise you'l have:

Mac Mini, iMac, MacBook, MacPro (?), MacBook Pro. Which is imo pants!

It should be (imo):

iMac, iBook, Powermac, Powerbook, Mac Mini. To tie in with
^^^^^^^
iPod

Well i think all the Mac this, Mac that makes the whole new Apple line up sould like a McDonalds menu!!! McMini, McBook, Super McBook!!! LOL!

Just Speculation! :confused:

- Joe.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Steve Jobs came back to an Apple littered with different Macs, all of which were named differently and had little relation to the name Macintosh or Mac. If you had a Mac Performa, you said you had a performa. While it didn't all changed over immediately, Steve set about changing it back to the truely named Mac family with the iMac and now he is slowly changing the other models too, even the ones he named shortly after rejoining the company.

We could have:
Mac Express
Mac Pro
Mac Mini
MacBook Express
MacBook Pro
before the year's end. While you could say you had the express, this firstly would not describe whether it was the desktop or notebook and secondly doesn't sound as right without the Mac/MacBook prefix. This way, almost every person buying or looking at Macs instantly recognise the Mac name. As odd as this sounds, many do look at the iBook and PowerBook and don't instantly realise they are Macs. Call them both MacBook and suddenly people realise what they are. With all the good Mac publicity of late too, it may attract people to them rather than them thinking, "It's a Mac, I don't want a Mac because they're incompatible" and wandering over to the other machines before asking the sales assistant questions.

As soon as I explain/introduce a Mac into a customers choices, 7/10 will either buy one or at least consider one. It's just getting them over those first few hurdles that can be troublesome.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I take some of your names and insert my own. :p

Toe said:
Well, since this thread now seems to be about product line names, let me make a stab at the full list, coming this April, guaranteed:

Music Devices:
iPod Video
iPod Nano
iPod Shuffle
^I agree with all of these

Laptops:
MacBook Pro
iBook <--- i do not think that the iBook will keep the same name. I think it
will be called the MacBook

Desktops
iMac <--- i think it kepts it name because it had "Mac" in it
Mac mini <--- this will proabbyl keep the name, again, because it
has "mac" in it

MacTower Pro <--- i dont think they will inbclude "Pro" in the name. What
other tower line do they have to diffirentiate from? I
think it will be MacTower.

Other Devices:
MacPod - Mac OS-based tablet <--- i think this will be MacTablet. That
is if it comes out.

MacPanel - Mac OS-based plasma display <--- i dont even think this will
happen.

MacTunes - Hardware-based iTunes panel (with iPod dock) <--- not sure
about this one either. Probably wont happen and if it does
it wont have that name.

aLbAn

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2005
Netherlands
dontmatter said:
Or for that matter, the ipod. sure, they made a few changes, but they've kept a lot the same, too. 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen, if I'm correct, are really similar.

...actually, the first powerbook G3 was identical to the powerbook 3400 (with a 603 ppc processor);
the only stuff that was changed was: new processor, more motherboard RAM, bigger HD.
the new "wallstreet"-like form factor was introduced seven months later...

iamfiremansam

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
New Zealand
April ibook

Oh... I can't wait until april when they release the new ibook/macbook (whatever). I'll be the first person in New Zealand to buy one. YAY FINALLY!!!:)

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
sfwalter said:
Maybe I'm crazy but I though Steve Jobs said that all the systems will use the dual core chips.

"Every [new] iMac has now got dual processors in it" 1'09" into keynote.
"There are going to be dual processors in every MacBook Pro" 1'24" into keynote.

I don't think he indicated what the other lines will get. I wonder if the iBooks will get essentially the same logicboard but with slower processors and a different case? The iBook could get 1.67GHz while the MacBook Pro line gets bumped to 1.83 and 2.0GHz - would make logistics a bit easier.

nagromme said:
Also, for the record, Steve did NOT say Macs would be switching in June--and they are NOT earlier than he said they would be. He never got that specific, he just said the first Intel Macs would be out in 2006, BY (meaning at the LATEST) June.

Agree in part. He re-itterated the "by June 2006" target in the MWSF '06 keynote, but also said, "So, a little ahead of schedule, today we are going to roll out the first Mac with an Intel processor" (1'04" into keynote). He also moved the completion target from end of 2007 to end of 2006 as you pointed out.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
praetorian909 said:
I kinda like the name iBook (not too thrilled with MacBook). And anyways, doesn't iBook fit with the iPod/iSight/etc name scheme?
True True.....though the products down the road may start to be called MacPod and MacSite. :D

frome

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I don't think apple will change the iBooks name due to the fact that they didn't change iMacs. I think that iBook sounds way better then macbook express. :rolleyes:

Though I hope the new iBook are much thinner.... half an inch would be nice :D .

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
d.f said:
if they're anything like these, then i'll be happy.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060112PR206.html
core duo, 12.1", up to 2 gig ram, DL burner and 4.3lb. sweet. (i do know this is windows - doesn't mean it's not good specs)

Hey good find... That's a really nice notebook, looks like Apple has some good competition. I might have to look into that one. Throw osx86 on there... plus I get two mouse buttons!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
According to Intel's Site

At intel's site, there is a 1.5 Core Duo, which I believe will end up in the new MacBook and MacMini (MacBook makes sense since they started the Mac only naming (i.e. Mac Mini).

Apple will use only Core Duo's (what's the point of single cores now?) IMHO.

Same specs so far as far as Mac Mini's but with a 1.5 or 1.67 Core Duo, hopefully DISCRETE video (maybe at least an ATI x300 with 64 Megs?). Same drives/memory. If they go with an Intel Media 900 (integrated) instead, they better START with 512Megs RAM AND have an extra memory slot...

I'd like to see a MacBook with a 13" and 15" widescreens... (obviously, same specs as the Mac Mini as they seem to share components).

OOOH, and any speculations on a MacBook Mini???

Kelvin

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2004
SFBA, CA
MacinDoc said:
...and would scratch like nobody's business. Can you say "lawsuit"?
Because desktop computers get that much wear, you know, just sitting there.

I think the only scratches my iMac G5 has are on the insides of the headphone ports.

chemtw

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2005
Can you do that?>??? if you can I might not wait for the ibook and just get one and throw OSX on it anyone know if it works?

stefan15 said:
Hey good find... That's a really nice notebook, looks like Apple has some good competition. I might have to look into that one. Throw osx86 on there... plus I get two mouse buttons!

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
why are solo's so expensive

From what I read, I thought that core solos were never intentionally produced, but were simply the result of a core duo that has one of it's core's messed up somehow in the manufacturing process and has it disabled. Sort of like how all Pentium 4's are made to be pentium 4's in a general sense, with their particular clocking determined by how stable they are after testing. So the high price of core solo's would only persist if intel is really good at not breaking the duo's in the manufacturing process (which I think I remember reading they were). If there is a glut of solo's, then the price of them will go down for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.