Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I would like for them to be updated w/ Intel processors, so I have an excuse to sell mine to get the latest hardware. :D

d.f

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
until then....

if they're anything like these, then i'll be happy.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060112PR206.html

core duo, 12.1", up to 2 gig ram, DL burner and 4.3lb. sweet. (i do know this is windows - doesn't mean it's not good specs)

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,505

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
While it would be nice to have all dual core macs, you have to got to know it's not going to happen.

The Macbook (or iBook) and Mini will most likely feature the solo cores...

Why buy an iMac when I can get the same processor in the mini for 400 bucks?

The switch to intel has also got me thinking....

How easy will it be now for us to simply upgrade our processors now? As long as the MB apple uses supports it, Upgrading your Mac may not be as difficult now....dare I say it, as easy as it is with a PC.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Actually, now that I think of it, that could make sense. Continue to release Intel PowerBooks to fill out the product line, and in doing so, take advanatge of the performance edition of the dual core Yonahs which will be in the upcoming months and stick them in a 17" monster. Then, take the single core Yonahs when they are out in a few months and either stick them in a 12" or 13" PowerBook, or put them in the iBooks in the summer.

Apple could also simply put the existing dual core Yonahs in the iBooks, update the PowerBooks to the performance edition of the chip, and then as of late 2006, introduce another major upgrade to the PowerBook line with Merom. :cool: That being said, I see the iBooks going single core Yonah as the most likely scenario.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Only slightly OT:

It is also interesting to note that Apple's update frequency may increase now that they have a company who can actually supply chips.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
This is the part I don't get ...

Come April or May, sources maintain that Apple will revamp its iBook line with a new eye-catching industrial design built around a 13-inch widescreen display and low-end Intel Yonah processor. The new iBooks are also expected to be slimmer than their predecessors, but retain robust enclosures that are ideal for education markets.

So, they do the logical thing and upgrade the look of the iBook to coincide with the new chip but leave the powerbook the same??? The powerbook is arguably the flagship of the Apple line. I just don't see them going with the same old enclosure. If the iBooks are slimmer and have a new 'eye catching' design, what the hell happened to the powerbooks?

I really really think that the currrent MacBook is a placeholder and we're going to see new designs/cases by April 1st. *fingers crossed*

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
I absolutely refuse to believe that they would release a new 17" or a 12" powerbook with the same old design. Just doesn't make sense

~Shard~ said:
Actually, now that I think of it, that could make sense. Continue to release Intel PowerBooks to fill out the product line, and in doing so, take advanatge of the performance edition of the dual core Yonahs which will be in the upcoming months and stick them in a 17" monster. Then, take the single core Yonahs when they are out in a few months and either stick them in a 12" or 13" PowerBook, or put them in the iBooks in the summer.

Apple could also simply put the existing dual core Yonahs in the iBooks, update the PowerBooks to the performance edition of the chip, and then as of late 2006, introduce another major upgrade to the PowerBook line with Merom. :cool: That being said, I see the iBooks going single core Yonah as the most likely scenario.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
bpd115 said:
Why buy an iMac when I can get the same processor in the mini for 400 bucks?

The same reason plenty of people were buying the PowerBooks instead of the iBook. More hard-drive space, better screens (a screen in this case), backlit keyboard etc.

By the time the Mac mini gets the core duo the iMac will be on to either the performance edition of the core duo or Merom. An iMac at 2.16 Merom or a Mac mini at 1.66 GHz Core Duo is plenty of seperation. The mini would be offered at the same price points.

$499 40GB Core uno Combo Drive
$599 80GB Core duo Combo Drive
$699 80GB Core duo Super Drive

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
Heeeeeere we go!

eVolcre said:
I really really think that the currrent MacBook is a placeholder and we're going to see new designs/cases by April 1st. *fingers crossed*

Let the "Powerbooks next Tuesday", uhm, I mean "MacBooks next Tuesday" madness begin!!! :D

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
CompUser said:
I don't know if anyone has said this but why would they change the name of the iBook, and not the iMac?

they both have i's.

I doubt they will drop the "i", think about the iiiiiPod term.

Seems to be a couple of reasons to me.

First, differentiation from the PowerPPC line. If the new line were completely available (ie the 12" and 17" were here), they could replace it. But I think it'd have caused too much confusion with a 12" and 17" PPC line and a 15" Intel.

Second, they're effectively raising the price on the PowerBook. I think it would have cause people to get upset if they replaced all the PB's with a new higher priced Intel line. Now they can quietly roll out the Mac Book Pro line, and discontinue the PB line.

I guess it remains to be seen if the prices will stay this high or drop sometime soon. Maybe this 15" line is just meant to skim some extra profits off people who gotta have it now.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Can someone link me to the intel road map with all the chip codenames and info about them. Cheers

iDM

macrumors 6502a
My worthless opinion in case anyone cares to discuss......I like the name iBook, I like the name PowerBook, I like the name iMac and I like the name PowerMac. I understand the desire to drop the "Power" prefix but adding the name Mac to things seems kind of arbitrary and in the cases of the "MacBook Pro" a child's toy with nice features.

Of course these are only names and its the hardware that matters but I really like the name of the current products(Except for the Mini which I was never comfortable with).

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Marvy said:
Let the "Powerbooks next Tuesday", uhm, I mean "MacBooks next Tuesday" madness begin!!! :D
which would be the ONE thing holding me back from buying one right now. My employer offers a 2 year no interest loan program for us, so I could get it easily but it's still a lot of money to turn around and have it be replaced by something better right away.

The same thing happened to me with my G3 Kanga, the wallstreet came out shortly after I got it and I was quite disappointed.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
praetorian909 said:
I kinda like the name iBook (not too thrilled with MacBook). And anyways, doesn't iBook fit with the iPod/iSight/etc name scheme?
No problem. They'll just change that to MacPod/MacSight/etc...

:eek:

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Well... they could do something really stupid and call it the iMacBook.

As an iMac is to a PowerMac, um... MacTower Pro(?), so an iMacBook is to a MacBook Pro.

Ugh.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The one big question I'm going to be interested in is how is Apple building these systems? Are they soldering the chips into place or are they ZIF socketing them? If it’s the latter there is a possibility, however slight, that our systems can be upgraded at a later date since the chipset used in the Core Duo is “theoretically” compatible with Merom. Oooo. I think I just got high off that thought. :D

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
danielwsmithee said:
The same reason plenty of people were buying the PowerBooks instead of the iBook. More hard-drive space, better screens (a screen in this case), backlit keyboard etc.

By the time the Mac mini gets the core duo the iMac will be on to either the performance edition of the core duo or Merom. An iMac at 2.16 Merom or a Mac mini at 1.66 GHz Core Duo is plenty of seperation. The mini would be offered at the same price points.

$499 40GB Core uno Combo Drive
$599 80GB Core duo Combo Drive
$699 80GB Core duo Super Drive

Possibly but the Powerbook situation was different. They couldn't possibly keep the G3 in the iBook for this long. Their hands were tied with processor choices. Now they have tons of options.

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
jjd said:
He definitely said something like: "all of our Intel macs use duos" or "are duos". I guess this would not preculde them from releasing single core chips later - but I got the impression that he was intimating all Intel macs will always be dual and making a virtue of it.

I notice no one is saying much about the PowerMacs - or "Mac Pros" I guess. Is the general consensus that these will be last to go to Intel? I was all set to buy a G5 Powermac immediately after MacWorld - but given the speed bumps on the iMacs I just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on a G5 tower. I have got to believe that the Mac Pros are going to be super fast. I hope I don't have to wait until Q4 2006 for them

You won't wait till Q4 2006. I'm guessing Apple will come out with super fast Mac Pros(powermac) on April 1st, 2006. April 1st will be the biggest day for Apple in history sense Steve Jobs released the first iMac back in 1997

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Marvy said:
Woohoo, so the rumors are starting again... they never stopped actually did they? *Bangs head on table* "WHEN WILL THEY STOP!!!"

Aaaaanyway, maybe will see some black iBooks in Q2, that would fit very nicely to the nanos.
I'm also betting on single core yonahs in the iBooks to keep them out of the territory of the Pro-Line. Then again, with the iMac being equipped so nicely, who knows.
I still believe strongly that the iMac and MacBook Express will go White/Black options. I saw the cover of MacWorld with the mock up of the black iMac and black Mighty Mouse and almost started drooling at the thought.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/magazine/

And as for complaining about rumours, stop coming to a rumours site then.

I think the lack of size range in the macbook pro, and the naming, makes this all very interesting. The obvious thing is what everybody's thinking, macbookpro=powerbook, macbook=ibook.

But with the growth in the portable market, and the huge differences in what you can fit in a 17 inch and a 12 inch laptop, I think we're going to see something different. Also, two speeds at one size and three sizes would add up to a messier product line than apple likes.

My hope: macbook pro is the full fledged, high end laptop for pros. They add in a 17 inch with 2 ghz processor and maybe 2.13, though it sure is costly, and you have a desktop replacment system in power, but apple style, it's still sexy and thin and portable.

Macbook mini, or something like that, is an ultraportable line, really thin and light, 12 inches. a little cheaper than the pros, less powerful, but a whole lot lighter with expensive low power chips.

Macbook, or ibook, or something like that is the budget line, with single core chips.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Although I find that many people on MR are hopelessly optimistic, especially around the time of MWSF and WWDC, I will be the optimist this time and suggest that the iBooks and Mac Minis will at least be announced before April. Steve did seem to be making a big deal of the fact that April Fool's Day was Apple's 30th birthday, and I think he has something else up his sleeve for April 1, perhaps a Mac media center? iBook and Mini updates just don't seem big enough an announcement for such an occasion, especially if they only have single core CPUs, and especially after Steve's hints about us seeing him again before then.

Also, i think the iBooks will keep their present name, like the iMacs, since it does not have the term Power in it, and it keeps with the naming scheme of most of Apple's consumer products. And the name iMacBook would be horrible for marketing (not that MacBook Pro is much better). On that note, I think the Power Macs will be called "Mac Pro".

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
My guess is that they used Mac in the name, because it now contains "the enemy" intel, and can run the other "enemy" windows. It's a way of maintaining identity. So if iBooks will have intel-processors, they will most likely have Mac in their name as well. And the most logical is to just drop the pro.

It would be very sad if they raised the prices on the new iBooks though. I for one, would have never bought a mac if it wasn't for the sub-1000 12" version, and with the trend of laptops becoming cheaper, I think they would lose customers in the end.

As for the iPod being renamed to MacPod. Considering that the majority of buyers still use windows, a bad move.

macosxuser01 said:
You won't wait till Q4 2006. I'm guessing Apple will come out with super fast Mac Pros(powermac) on April 1st, 2006. April 1st will be the biggest day for Apple in history sense Steve Jobs released the first iMac back in 1997

Sorry, no way. More pro apps need to convert, first. I agree, though, april first will be huge. And remember, and ipod update is in here somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.