Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
is there a good windows chat client?

Kagetenshi said:
Trillian? Barely a step up. Bloody thing doesn't even have Unicode support, not to mention proper handling of // commands in chatrooms...

~J

I use windows aim at work. Can you suggest something better?

baddog

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
Did the 10 second pause in 2.1beta get fixed?

iChat 2.1beta had the annoying tendency to halt your connection on purpose for 10 seconds if you typed too many messages in too short a time (which really wasn't very many message or very much time :mad: ). Because of that, I had to revert to iChat 2.0, which works fine. Before I even try to upgrade, can anyone tell me if this has been fixed in the final version of 2.1?

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
jesuscandle said:
I use windows aim at work. Can you suggest something better?

I hear DeadAIM is decent. I don't really know much about the choices other than Windows AIM and Trillian, as most of the people I know use one of the two and so I haven't really had reason to learn about anything else.

~J

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
LEgregius said:
It seems to now link your OS X user icon with the buddy icon. hmm.

Do you mean that your iChat icon can now be the same as your Mac OS X user icon? And that other people's iChat icons appear as their Mac OS X user icons on your instance of iChat? iChat AV already did that in version 1.0. Or are you talking about something different?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I'd like to see some sort of Whiteboarding or desktop streaming mode, so I can show people the code problem I'm having. It's all well and good when you're gettin' your hey-how-ya-doin's on with the ladies, but when I have to get real work done, i'm not very interested in looking at the person I'm talking to.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
wow! but...

capacity said:

Hm...I had tried Gaim before and it kept crashing whenever I moused-over a hyperlink...

Still does...

Presumably they'll fix this eventually. Aside from that rather significant bug, I think it's a great piece of software...usability-wise anyway.

It's a shame the bug report mechanism involved DL'ing a "debug" version of the software and then reading the stack dump it generates. I'd love to help out...

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Kagetenshi said:
I hear DeadAIM is decent. I don't really know much about the choices other than Windows AIM and Trillian, as most of the people I know use one of the two and so I haven't really had reason to learn about anything else.

~J

Deadaim is an aim enhancer... costs $$$ too.

I want to hear from someone who had problems connecting to windows users before... and to see if it got any better... I won't get to try it until I get home from work in 2 hrs :(

RTouris

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2004
I presume this makes the 30th the definite day for the release of the new hardware then. How about those G6 Powerbooks? For crying out loud, I sold my dual G4 in anticipation of some new hardware of any form and type (that runs OSX), please please I can't stand using windows any more, it's like crippled and all :(

jyellis

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
ZildjianKX said:
Deadaim is an aim enhancer... costs $$$ too.

DeadAIM does cost money, but only $5 I believe. Well worth the money if you use AIM very much. It allows to remove either or both rows of buttons, allows for transparency of windows, tabbed messaging, and best-of-all gets rid of those stupid ads that make noise, I mean really AOL.

neesley

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2003
iChat Group Chat

ImAlwaysRight said:
Let's make this more than 1 v 1 communication and then we will be talkin'.

I was under the impression that you could group chat with iChat. I haven't tried this, however, with a audio or video chat.

AngryLawnGnome

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Stella said:
[iChat Sucks]

Unfortunately you still can't start a chat (audio) only session with AIM 5.5 or vice versa.

Shame apple can't implement this.... if they can do video + audio, why not audio only?
Yes it does. iChat is good with some things, like the menu item, but the lack of cross platform audio chat and the crappy profile viewing/missing personal profile really brings it down. Also, its need to be primarily based on your mac account sucks - not very many people have one.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
AngryLawnGnome said:
Yes it does. iChat is good with some things, like the menu item, but the lack of cross platform audio chat and the crappy profile viewing/missing personal profile really brings it down. Also, its need to be primarily based on your mac account sucks - not very many people have one.

I agree that it would be nice to have cross platform audio chat. However, iChat does not need to based on any .mac account (which is what I assume you meant) -- any regular AIM account will do and iChat will use it happily.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
jyellis said:
DeadAIM does cost money, but only $5 I believe. Well worth the money if you use AIM very much. It allows to remove either or both rows of buttons, allows for transparency of windows, tabbed messaging, and best-of-all gets rid of those stupid ads that make noise, I mean really AOL.

Just block the address the ads come from w/ a firewall :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Kagetenshi said:
Trillian? Barely a step up. Bloody thing doesn't even have Unicode support, not to mention proper handling of // commands in chatrooms...

~J
News to me. My Trillian handles Unicode perfectly. Oh, but it's Trillian Pro 2.012, so I guess the fact that you have to pay for it puts it out of the picture for you?

--Cless

rwclark

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
Stella said:
Unfortunately you still can't start a chat (audio) only session with AIM 5.5 or vice versa.

Shame apple can't implement this.... if they can do video + audio, why not audio only?

I wholeheartedly agree. I would love to be able to do an audio chat with my girlfriend, a Windows user. It would save a lot of money in long-distance phone bills. ;)

ALoLA

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2003
Greater Los Angeles Area
Audio chat already works.....sort of. I was sending audio and video to my PC friend, and he was just sending audio. We could chat in real time, but I wasn't getting any video from him (he only had a mic setup).

singletrack

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
mainstreetmark said:
I'd like to see some sort of Whiteboarding or desktop streaming mode, so I can show people the code problem I'm having. It's all well and good when you're gettin' your hey-how-ya-doin's on with the ladies, but when I have to get real work done, i'm not very interested in looking at the person I'm talking to.

Kind of.

Apple-Shift-4 to create a snapshot of whatever you're interested in which creates a PDF on the desktop called 'Picture 1'

Drop 'Picture 1' on your iChat chat window and the user gets sent a PDF. Relatively painless.

If you're on the same local net, SubEthaEdit has a nice rendezvous based editing mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.