Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Development on new features for iCloud is being held up by "deep organizational issues," according to a new report from The Information, which suggests organizational problems are complicating iCloud products and holding up releases. Much of The Information's report requires a subscription to access, but the article's introduction gives a hint at what's going wrong at Apple.

With iOS 8, Apple introduced some major overhauls to iCloud, including iCloud Drive, which allows users to see all of their files in a dedicated folder on the Mac, similar to Dropbox, and iCloud Photo Library, an ambitious project that lets users upload all of their photos to iCloud.

icloudphotolibraryhero.jpg
It seems these features may not be as fully fleshed out as Apple would like, especially when it comes to iCloud Photo Library. iCloud Photo Library wasn't released to the public until iOS 8.1, and it remains in a beta testing phase, with speculation suggesting that iCloud's negative public image due to hacked celebrity accounts and photo leaks may have led to its delay.
Apple is great at building hardware and software that runs on it. But it has long struggled to build services reliant on software that runs remotely rather than on devices. While company executives say they are making progress, interviews with nearly a dozen current and former Apple employees paint a different picture.

Deep organizational issues are holding up releases and complicating products.
According to The Information, Apple's "photo vision" has yet to be "fully realized," with internal problems like the lack of a centralized iCloud team leading to iCloud Photo Library's delayed beta release and the lack of the Photos for Mac app, which isn't expected to be completed until 2015.

Photos for Mac, which will integrate with iCloud Photo Library for a complete photo editing and management system, is said to be taking on elements of both iPhoto and Aperture, two apps that Apple has opted to discontinue in favor of the Photos for Mac app. Launching iCloud Photo Library without a companion Mac app leaves a major piece of the iCloud puzzle missing, as users are not able to edit iCloud Photo Library photos natively on their laptops and desktop computers.

While iCloud Photo Library will remain incomplete for some months yet, Apple has been adding features to the iCloud Photos web app as a stopgap measure. Just last week, the company added a much-needed upload feature to its iCloud.com website, allowing users to add photos to iCloud Photo Library outside of their iOS devices for the first time.

iCloud Photo Library is not the first Apple service that's been delayed by organizational issues within the company. iOS in the Car, which later became CarPlay, saw development issues ahead of its official launch as it did not fit neatly into an existing hardware or software category. Internal issues have also been said to be affecting the development of the Maps app and the introduction of new features, like transit directions, due to poor planning, project management issues, and an ongoing loss of developers.

Article Link: iCloud Development Held Up By 'Deep Organizational Issues' at Apple

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This isn't that surprising to hear. iCloud Photo Library has been the source of a lot of confusion and headaches, based on forum posts here.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My biggest problem with the whole iCloud Photo Library is the "all or nothing" approach Apple seems to have towards it.

For example, enabling it will disable the ability to sync photos from Aperture or iPhoto to your phone. Completely.

It's as if Apple expects me to upload my entire photo collection (several hundred GB) to the cloud to be able to continue to do what I do now, which is view selected parts of my photo library on my phone.

Not. Bloody. Likely.

Photos are among the most important data I have. They are irreplaceable. A few are private and I don't want them on the Internet. Apple has also failed to tell us exactly how we are supposed to BACK UP the iCloud Photo Library. All indications point to the cloud library being authoritative. Does Apple really expect us to trust them with the ONLY authoritative copy of our photos? Are they insane?

They did not think this through. Hopefully the delays mean they ARE thinking it through now and will implement it properly. However, I'm not holding my breath and I'm keeping my options open for now.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
iCloud photo library is a confusing mess. Why are they beta testing software on paying customers? The option for it shouldn't even be there yet until it's fully ready to replace photo stream.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Maybe they should reconsider their decision to scrap Aperture. :rolleyes:
And maybe they should consider getting away from this insane yearly OS release nonsense. They are clearly releasing things not yet ready for prime time (iOS 8, OSX 10.10).

The "core rot" at Apple is getting worse.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Nailed it.

My biggest problem with the whole iCloud Photo Library is the "all or nothing" approach Apple seems to have towards it.

For example, enabling it will disable the ability to sync photos from Aperture or iPhoto to your phone. Completely.

It's as if Apple expects me to upload my entire photo collection (several hundred GB) to the cloud to be able to continue to do what I do now, which is view selected parts of my photo library on my phone.

Not. Bloody. Likely.

Photos are among the most important data I have. They are irreplaceable. A few are private and I don't want them on the Internet. Apple has also failed to tell us exactly how we are supposed to BACK UP the iCloud Photo Library. All indications point to the cloud library being authoritative. Does Apple really expect us to trust them with the ONLY authoritative copy of our photos? Are they insane?

They did not think this through. Hopefully the delays mean they ARE thinking it through now and will implement it properly. However, I'm not holding my breath and I'm keeping my options open for now.

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
iCloud is the biggest piece of garbage Apple has ever come up with,
followed closely by iTunes...

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The great "restructuring" after Forstall's leave was suppose to create more harmony, or so I thought.

Still, I can't even imagine the complexity involved in implementing new products or services within a company as vast as Apple or Microsoft; I'm sure they're moving with as much momentum as feasible. I do hope they get iCloud as functional as possible, as soon as possible. I have been dissapointed with iCloud Drive and am still unsure as to how Photos will work or what editing/organizing features it will have.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Not. Bloody. Likely.

I completely agree. I think we should copy and paste your post into Apple's feedback page.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I have always found iCloud to be a shocking mess, so I'm not sure how these "Deep Organisational Issues" are news.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Not. Bloody. Likely.

This post sums up why I will not move to iCloud Photo Library perfectly.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I'm not sure if I'm going to put up with a second MobileMe Mess :mad::mad:
I'm not going to trust my files to iCloudDrive, that much is sure.
Yeah Apple, your amaaaazing pwooouuuwducts simply work.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Apparently, to Tim Cook, all that matters is selling hadware. As long as there is no drop in that, all else is fine or can be pushed back to the next software update. This mode of operation will catch up to Cook and his hardware sales eventually.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I think iCloud is actually a great service and despite it's growing pains, it has now accomplished many feats of implementing cloud features for the average Joe:

- An email account
- Contact, calendar and reminder backup/syncing
- iOS device backups
- Find My iPhone

There are other features too, and newer ones that aren't quite perfectly intuitive, but they work. Photos definitely needs some cross-functional help, as it runs across iCloud, iOS and OS X.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Why did Apple release a half-baked iCloud Photo service in the first place? I'd rather wait for a polished, ready to use feature than be provided one which isn't ready for full use and which causes more confusion and frustration for its users.

I hate to say this but Apple's QC has definitely gone down in the recent years both in their hardware and software.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Not. Bloody. Likely.

spot on.

rdinterman

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Florida
As much as an Apple fanboy that I am, iCloud continues to be a mess and sometimes very slow. Lately I have been impressed with Microsoft Apps for iOS and OneDrive, so I may transition to that. Syncing seems to be more seamless and the web interface is definitely speedier.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

Not. Bloody. Likely.

Please write this to Apple. Report this somehow, I mean it wouldn't hurt.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Just out of curiosity : what issues are you people having with iCloud Drive ?
The few times I used it ( I'm a long time Dropbox user, and rely mostly on it ) everything was smooth, I haven't noticed anything bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.