iCloud Drive lacks a standalone app on iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Cscottrun, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

How is this even possible? So I can't collectively view all of my files stored in iCloud Drive at once from my phone without going to iCloud.com? If I want to simply browse my files, I'd have to open each app that supports a certain file type, and browse iCloud Drive that way?

Edit: Just some background info...I'm a student, just purchased a retina macbook pro, but decided on the 128gb model. As a result, I plan on using cloud storage for almost everything, especially documents. I've used dropbox for years, as well as one drive (which lags behind dropbox), but since Apple finally implemented true (or so I thought) cloud storage, and because I have an iPad, iPhone 6, Apple Tv, and a Mac, my thought process was to transfer everything over to iCloud drive.

2. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, I'm using it in addition to Dropbox until they get it figured out. Apple takes this cloud stuff slowly, so probably don't expect an app until at least iOS 9. They used to have an iDisk app back in the day! But iDisk was slow as balls so it didn't really matter. Even being able to search documents in iCloud Drive from Spotlight would be a huge improvement.

3. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

How is that even acceptable though? They don't have an app on their own phone for a new service they are touting to compete with other major cloud service providers.

As far as I'm concerned, thats pretty unacceptable.

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

It's not acceptable. I think Apple thinks that having to manage files adds too much complexity. However, they're becoming more open to adding advanced features, so they may add this as an optional download from the App Store in the future. For now you open an app, and then select to open your file from iCloud Drive. Then it's supposed to show you all the files that you can open with that app. At least that's the way I understand it. I'm still waiting to upgrade to iCloud Drive so that it's compatible with my Mac. I'm mainly planning on using it to sync photos between all my devices without using up their storage space. That's worth the $3.99/mo to me.

I think there are some apps that will allow you to browse your iCloud Drive. I think Transmit from Panic is now able to do this, and I have the app, I just need to upgrade my iCloud Drive and test it.

Edit: This article explains it well: http://www.imore.com/icloud-drive-clearing-up-confusion

5. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

We need both an official iCloud drive app, and a keychain app for the iPhone. Right now I have to remote into my computer to run the OSX keychain app to look up passwords that i may need in other places than iOS safari. Once iCloud drive arrives with Yosemite, I will have to do the same for iOS until a first or third party app is developed.

6. newagemac macrumors 68020

I don't understand what the problem is with opening the app first? Doesn't that reduce an extra step and make files easier to find? When I want to open a presentation file i made, I just instinctively open Keynote. Not sure why people are so hung up on using file explorers when all they do is serve as middle men to opening the app anyway.

7. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

You can already do this from iOS under settings->safari->saved passwords. It shows all your keychain website passwords here.

8. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I read the link earlier after I started searching google when I couldn't figure out how to access my iCloud Drive files.

9. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

The problem with that method is sorting through the hundreds hundreds of entries. They are simply sorted alphabetically. A keychain app (like OSX's app) allows you to quickly search for the entry that you want.

Anyway, that's why I hope that apple develops both a keychain app, and an could drive app soon.

10. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

So you think there should be a search field at the top of the list ? seems like a good idea and a relatively simple thing to implement. Fire it off to apple feedback! :) but a whole separate app seems a bit unnecessary for a function that already exists within the settings app.

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I was excited about iCloud Drive but it seems like it's poorly implemented, much like other software "features" this year.

As for why a standalone app may be necessary: you may have forgotten whether you saved something as a note or Word file for example. Going into the cloud app, you'd be able to see all of your docs and open from there vs. opening a word processing app and not being able to open the note (not even knowing that it's a note since the app will show only what it can open).

12. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I agree with this problem being a problem but I think this would be better served with iOS spotlight integration with iCloud. I rather like how an app only shows what it is able to open.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

What if you don't know which format the file is in? Did you save your document as PDF, Excel file or Word file?

What if you want to group projects with mixed media (a Word File, and a Garageband file together)? How could you get a bird-s eye view of your project without a "middle-man"?

Apple should offer BOTH ways. It won't change for existing users but it will add features for those wanting it.

14. Razeus macrumors 601

It's garbage if there isn't a dedicated iOS app for it.

15. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

16. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, I could see average users potentially getting confused on what app they need to use.

The second part of managing a project is what makes me think Apple will eventually implement this. iOS will eventually evolve to the point where people are putting together entire complex projects on the device and not using it as another tool in addition to their desktop machine. If Apple releases an iPad Pro, I would expect it to be able to handle this without issue. Hopefully we will have an answer to this by Spring—and hopefully it won't require an iPad Pro.

17. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

They were touting to complete with others? Where can I find a video? And no, pricing in the keynote doesn't count.

18. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously? I was making a point. If there are similar products on the market then of course they are competing.

And touting means solicit which is what every product strives to do for a company.

Threads always have people like you. Defending Apple when every other company implementing the same product, at least in this instance, does it better.

All we are saying is that it could and should be implemented better.

----------

So if you want to open a PDF on your computer, you first open Acrobat, then open the file inside of Acrobat?

It's actually creating an extra step. Why not simply just double click on the file wherever it is? Or even within an explorer that is front and center, where you can easily see other relevant files, no matter the type?

19. nippyjun macrumors 65816

20. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Well someone got defensive. Point being, if you can't provide evidence don't spew crap. Hmmk? FYI I do agree, it needs work. Doesn't need an AppStore app as it should be in the underlying system function. But hey that's me. But don't blame Apple if you cant back up claims. It makes NO sense.

21. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

[​IMG]

But yeah it does suck theres no app.

22. Cscottrun thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol, not worth it.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because iCloud uses a vertical silo system and Dropbox does the opposite.

I have both and I suggest you do the same. Neither one will do what the other does.

I'm honestly not even clear why Apple has put an iCloud Drive on iCloud.com. All it really does is look like Dropbox without being Dropbox. So I don't see the need for them to spread that around even more.

24. chunology macrumors 6502

25. newagemac macrumors 68020

Not knowing exactly what format the file is in is exactly the type of situation this solves. I don't need to know if I saved my document in .doc, .docx, .pages, or .rtf because the Pages app can open and edit them all. Plus a search using Spotlight will show you the format. I've also made things easier by reducing the number of formats and apps that I save things in.

As for saving across projects, that's what tags are for. Folders for projects is a much less flexible way of handling things.