Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharrydev

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
As AppleTVBob said:
I suppose I'm an idiot, as I added a PDF file to iCloud drive, and now I cannot figure out which app in iOS8 will open it. I wrongly assumed iBooks could peruse the iCloud drive and allow me to open it on my iPhone.

I do understand Apple's strategy to have one app to open one type of files on both OS/X and iOS.

My question is the same: I have a load of PDF files I'd like to be able to open with a kind of Previev app on my iPhone and iPad. But there is none....

Has anybody a hint for me?

Thanks a lot

I use PDF Expert for both iPhone and iPad and it works perfect, you can also manage / edit PDF files with it.

And the application are also on Mac App Store but I have not purchase it there.

On OS X I just use Preview.app

Ramon1990

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Apple?

Hell yeah!

iCloud in 2014 standards?

Trash...

Period.

No point speculating. Just trash. Obsolete feature.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
But you can only save it within the app's folder. You have to do all the moving and renaming etc on Yosemite.

It's clunky and unpractical.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Not sure you understand me.

If you created the file in app A the file will reside in a folder called app A.

If you wanted to find the file to email somebody for example you'd have to potentially look in folders A,B and C to find your file.

No this simply isn't possible since we can't add files to mails from IOS devices! Crazy. This is a basic functionality for any mail system and yet the company which markets it's phones and tablets as the best and most advanced, are incapable of incorporating it in their IOS mail app.

This is like a hang over from the early 1980's when we first started asking for the ability to send files by mail..

Apple also tell us we can create a folder structure in iCloud Drive and access any kind of file on all devices.. That's a big statement and I for one have many thousands of files going back many years.. If I want to refer to one, I can't remember whether it was .doc, .jpg, .xls etc. I NEED a form of finder in order to see what the file was, and the file should then 'choose' the appropriate app to open. Exactly as it would in OS X. Why are Apple making it so complicated and in the process, making the whole concept unusable?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Can you turn on/off which iOS apps use iCloud Drive?

Settings/iCloud/iCloud Drive shows the list of apps using iCloud Drive. They can be switched on and off individually.

Settings/iCloud/Storage/Manage Storage shows how much data is being used on iCloud by each app. You can delete stuff from iCloud here.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
So.. how do you add files to iCloud Drive from within iOS?

But you can only save it within the app's folder. You have to do all the moving and renaming etc on Yosemite.

It's clunky and unpractical.

Well, you can save a copy from an app to iCloud drive folders.

Tap: Export (elevator icon) > save copy > choose file type > save to... > choose target (iCloud or dropbox etc...) > choose your folder

This will at least place a copy of the document. I don't think that you can actually manage documents on iOS.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
In no way, shape or form, is iCloud Drive even close to replacing DropBox in my opinion, massively under implemented.

appletvbob

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Settings/iCloud/iCloud Drive shows the list of apps using iCloud Drive. They can be switched on and off individually.

Settings/iCloud/Storage/Manage Storage shows how much data is being used on iCloud by each app. You can delete stuff from iCloud here.

This is helpful as I am thinking of upgrading my storage to 20GB. But I need to justify its usefulness compared to say... Dropbox.

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Anybody finding the document picker broken?

When I open any app that supports iCloud Drive most of the documents in the folders are blank and many refuse to open if they are compatible but created in another app.

Happens on my iPhone, iPad and my mates can replicate the error too.

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Is there anyway to add photos to the iCloud drive directly from the photos app?

----------

Is it possible to share photos to the iCloud Drive in iOS8?

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I downloaded the Cloud Drive Explorer App yesterday and have since been in touch with the developer.. Apple have taken the App down from the store saying that: "We no longer allow 3rd party apps to manage users' iCloud Drives."

I guess they don't want us to access our files on IOS... Or else they plan on releasing their own solution ;)

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
I downloaded the Cloud Drive Explorer App yesterday and have since been in touch with the developer.. Apple have taken the App down from the store saying that: "We no longer allow 3rd party apps to manage users' iCloud Drives."

I guess they don't want us to access our files on IOS... Or else they plan on releasing their own solution ;)

Guess that should apply to the Readdles apps too, Documents 5 and PDF Expert both allow access.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

ugh god forbid we have choices. sometimes apple is worse than north korea

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I'm beginning to feel a little fed up with the feeling that I'm not trusted to access MY files on MY devices which I paid good money for. It might be a little better if Apple were to explain their thinking and their vision for how we 'should' be using these devices.

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
Wish I had read this thread before being frustrated. I wanted to use a PDF file so I uploaded to iCloud drive. After wasting 30 minutes, finally I uploaded it to Google Drive and then used its app to access the file.
What's the ****** use of iCloud drive if the documents are not accessible? Not even to iBooks. That makes a Dropbox vs iCloud question much easier to answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.