iCloud Messages Returns to iOS in First Beta of iOS 11.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2018.

1. iGeneo macrumors regular

iGeneo

I'm not entirely sure I'll use this. Storage be damned, I'd just prefer a"close" message like on the Mac.. Keeps them there, but I don't need to see them. Then upon a new message the thread is reopened

2. AntonisCy macrumors regular

so this is message and not imessage in the cloud? Normal SMS texts included too?

3. csurfr macrumors 68020

Dear God yes! Give me this on the Apple Watch PLEASE!

4. AKDub macrumors member

For me its message deletion syncing. With all the spam texts, 2 Factor and other verification codes being sent ,I always end up with iMessage on the Mac filled with junk when I use it, as most messages are deleted off the phone.

Add to the the 15+ "Is this still for sale" messages I get within 1 hour of posting something up for sale online.

5. Brainjax44 macrumors newbie

Being able to delete your texts on one device and have it applied on your others is cool I guess. . . but there seems to be a lot of fanfare around it. I'm wondering if I've just been oblivious to something important.

6. spazzcat macrumors 68030

spazzcat

Sounds like work, and there has been many times I've needed to refer back to a message.

7. emulajavi macrumors regular

Finally! This makes it possible to always set device as new when restoring!!

I hope it stays.

8. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Haha actually no. As far as I understand it’s just a way to keep your messages synced across devices in a more manageable way. Also, as someone else noted, it’ll allow you to sync your messages from a backup (so you can setup a device as new but retain your messages rather than having to restore from backup).

Other than that messages should behave as current functionality allows.

I don’t think you can export as plain text (still downloading beta but haven’t heard any mention of this). “Features” like Animoji would still only be only available to record on the X. And I don’t see Apple allowing Apple Pay Cash between Android users anytime soon honestly so yeah, I think just syncing haha

9. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

"But where the hell is Messages in iCloud, Apple????"
    -The forum

10. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

And there was much rejoicing! Yaaay!

It's sort of strange that iMessages in iCloud weren't there all along, honestly. With all the other stuff they put in the cloud, like calendars, Notes, contacts, iMessages were left out. Always struck me as a strange oversight. I'm hopeful that this feature will be on my iPhone ASAP.

[​IMG]

11. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

If you receive a lot of attachments/photos/voice clips through iMessage and have them set to never delete, you will find it will eat up space on your iDevice. Having them on the cloud frees up that space. You could argue, that with storage capacity these days, it isn't needed as much as when we have 8 and 16gb iPhones. However, to have them permanently saved on the cloud is nice, without fear no device (Mac/iPhone/iPad) will be out of sync if you happen to turn the function off or set up a device as new.

Then you have nothing to worry about, it doesn't affect you.

I however still run from my original iPhone 3G backup and while I have deleted messages, I have multiple threads which have a long history of messages. Surprisingly which, I pull up every now and then for reference (photo or video etc)

12. bgro macrumors 65816

This is waht i care about as well

13. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Will this sync deleted conversations across all my devices? I don't hang on to text conversations when I am done with them. For example, 2-factor text messages for security sites, I delete them when I am done. But because I have messages sync'd across all my devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, Apple Watch), I have to go in and delete the message conversation from each device. I would like when I delete it from one device, the conversation in removed on all the devices.

It's worst on the Apple Watch. At least on my iPhone and iPad it's just a swipe to delete. With the Watch I have to swipe then confirm the delete with a pop up. I'm surprised Apple has this inconsistent process.

14. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Should be all text threads.

15. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

They aren't synced. They are sent to all devices but deleting a text on one device does not delete it on others. My Macbook Air has a bunch of message chains that have been deleted on my iPhone because that's not in sync. (until now).

16. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

Maybe iMessages iin ithe iCloud?

17. fokmik macrumors 68040

Seems that apple at WWDC 2018 will double the default storage of the free icloud to 10gb

18. DotCom2 macrumors 601

For me, deleting off all my "other" devices is crucial. Yes, it sends and syncs with all other devices but when you delete off one, it stays on all other. I just want to delete a msg and also have it delete off my iPad, my Mac, my iPhone, my Apple Watch etc.

19. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Someone must of told Tim Cook we were mad. lol

20. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

I build houses. I often text clients to get an ok on something or other and like having a record. Just one of many reasons I like to keep texts.

21. viettanium macrumors 6502

return in Beta 1, Beta 2.
    and disappear in Beta 3+
    same as iOS 11 Beta :D

22. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

23. kumar714 macrumors newbie

NO. they stay in your phone (cached)

24. visusomanchi macrumors newbie

visusomanchi

Finally Apple is adding something useful to their ecosystem. Appreciate it.