iCloud Messages Returns to iOS in First Beta of iOS 11.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2018.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

That and if you restore your phone for any reason. There should be no need to plug it in to a computer. It should basically have all the messages saved to the cloud. People may say that they won’t need to restore their phone. But if they are an annual iPhone trade in phone. This will allow them to basically restore the new phone. And still not lose the messages from the old one.

2. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

I didn't even know this was a planned feature. Sounds cool. All I want now is some way for text messages to my phone to turn into iMessages as the whole iMessage apps across all my computers and devices are so inconsistent.

3. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

What happens if iCloud services are disrupted (down)? Does this mean we won't get texts? I know iMessages will sync out later but what about texts. Will they not be delivered period?

4. ryanasimov macrumors 6502

For people are asking "What's the benefit?", consider that this allows you for the first time to do a clean reset of your phone without losing your messages. As I understand it if you didn't restore from an encrypted iCloud or iTunes backup you'd lose your messages before iCloud Messages was available.

5. WannaGoMac macrumors 68020

WannaGoMac

Get a google voice number or something for postings on sale etc. Never post an actual cell number in public forums...

6. zarmanto macrumors regular

zarmanto

This seems like a good time for a best-practices opsec reminder: always be mindful of what you retain in "the cloud", and with whom you share your passwords to access that cloud-based data.

I say this because it goes without saying that some people tend to have some highly sensitive stuff in their text message repositories...

7. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

No incoming messages still work the same so as long as you have service/no carrier issues, you should receive them as usual. Only thing I could see is not syncing them across devices if there were an issue. Otherwise everything should work as intended.

8. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

does it work on Apple Watch so if you delete a message it removes from Apple Watch

9. zarmanto macrumors regular

zarmanto

Not entirely true: unencrypted iTunes backups retain text messages as well.

10. ceparker27 macrumors member

ceparker27

Dark mode.

11. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Same reason they store the last 10 years worth of voicemails... on a tape recorder.

12. AppleMythos macrumors member

AppleMythos

I have waited for this in order to sync my old Macbook (to be sold) messages with my other devices. Finally!

13. I Need a Drink macrumors regular

How does this work with multiple devices, initially? What I mean is that I have iPhone, iPad and a couple of Macs. Most have the same messages on them, but some older devices have more. Is the system smart enough to compare all of the threads and merge all of them without duplicates, or does it upload each device and have multiples of each text showing in the threads?

14. jarman92 macrumors 6502

In 2016 there were just under 800 million iCloud accounts, so lets assume there are that many now. 800,000,000 accounts x 15 GB storage = 12 billion GB = 12 exabytes, which is larger than the current estimated data capacity of the Big Four (Apple, Amazon, Google, Facebook). Does that answer your question?

15. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Does anyone know how multiple devices will sync with iCloud? I have two iPhones and and I also use a few macs to text, and they all have different number of messages because I only delete the messages from one device at a time. Will all the messages from all devices be combined into one iCloud messages account and then I can delete them all from all devices? or will I get an option to select which device will be the main/parent device and all other messages will sync from that?

16. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Google had more than 1 billion Gmail users in 2016 and they give you 15GB of storage for free. There's no reason why Apple can't do the same, or at least double it to 10GB.
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/02/01/gmail-now-has-more-than-1b-monthly-active-users/

17. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

What are the numbers for tonight’s Powerball?

18. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

19. Pog2005 macrumors newbie

So will this mean that we in future can send messages via icloud.com? Useful at work where I have a PC rather than a Mac...

20. gomichaelgo macrumors newbie

gomichaelgo

With messages on iCloud, I wonder if they will have capabilities to view on iCloud.com and continue conversations within the browser.

21. drewyboy macrumors 65816

False. Lets just say Google has plenty. Source, work in the HDD industry.

22. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

They will be saved in the cloud and then get downloaded back onto your iPhone when you get a new one, even if you start fresh.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I have this question too. My iPad only keeps 30 days of messages, my iPhone never deletes, and my Mac never deletes automatically, but I do manually delete from there, so all three devices are different.

24. sully54 macrumors regular

sully54

Exactly.

From what I understand, the idea with Messages on iCloud is that let’s say you buy a new Mac or iPhone, you don’t have to restore from a backup if you want to have your message history available on your new device. They will sync just as contacts, notes, etc. currently does.

Also, I’d imagine that only messages from a certain time frame will be stored locally on device, requiring access to iCloud to search for messages outside this time frame.

25. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon