iCloud Messages Returns to iOS in First Beta of iOS 11.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2018.

1. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I won't tell ya.:p

It's all mine...MINE.

2. k.alexander macrumors regular

k.alexander

Well, if 5GB of free iCloud storage wasn't nearly enough for anyone before, because apparently Apple can't figure out how to do incremental backups so backups basically grow by snowballing without end eventually requiring one to delete the iCloud backup and create a new, what do you all think will happen now? Most people have easily over 5GB of text messages, and if they count towards your iCloud storage--time to upgrade!

3. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

I feel the same way.

Also makes me wish that MacRumors Forum had a button to downvote posts as well as heart them, so we could express displeasure for negative posts without having to engage with all that gunk.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Why the hell would you want to delete your messages everyday? Don’t understand this. You and the other poster have issues.

5. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

You may not. I like it because I can set up a new device and all the messages will be there. I also like that I can delete a message of my iPhone and it's deleted on my iPad. For some, it may not be a feature you use. So you don't use it.

6. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and the powerball... 6

7. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Once you enable Messages in iCloud, they would not be in iCloud backup.

8. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

Nope.

9. AntonisCy macrumors regular

Is it possible that Apple will add Messages on icloud.com?

10. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I've been able to keep my texts from one iphone to the next using the Backup feature.

How is this different?

11. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Interesting... Ask for Dark Mode in iOS and HomePod 2 with Holographic projection.

12. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Wow you can't think of a single reason? How about.... whats the gate code to my grandparents place again? I think they texted me. Let me search. AH THERE IT IS. The code is, McToolThinksHowHeDoesThingsIsTheOnlyRightWay

What a weird gate code
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2018 ---
    iPad, Mac, and moving them to the cloud so they don't take up space on all those devices.

13. k.alexander macrumors regular

k.alexander

That's fair. But here's the problem. Currently I delete large attachments from within messages on my iPhone. My iPad does whatever. But my Mac keeps a repository of ALL messages with ALL attachments. By deleting the message attachments (photos/videos/etc) from my iPhone, my messages, which incidentally go back about 7 years, only take up about 350MB.

With Messages in iCloud, if I delete attachments from my phone they will also delete from everywhere, including my mac. The only way to have a copy of everything is by not deleting, which is how people end up with 20-30-40GB of Messages (I've seen this firsthand).

14. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

I was wondering about that as well. Currently, if you delete a conversation on the Mac/iPhone it won't reflect on the other device so the syncing should be instant now.

15. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I know everyone is cheering for this but has anyone tried it yet on iOS 11.3 beta? I just updated, synced my iMessage to iCloud and all it saved me was 300mb in storage space. The 15+GB of texts, photos, videos and attachments still hold up storage.

16. DotCom2 macrumors 601

Yes, just like how it got there in the first place.
    Now THAT would be cool if they did!
    What about setting up as new? Ever done that?!

17. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I like being able to delete a message once, and it’s gone on all my devices.. like a deleted email. So that sounds promising.

18. neliason macrumors 6502

I want to be able to delete messages or conversations across an iPhone, iPad, and iMac. I also want to be able to silence conversations across these devices. Will this feature let me do this?

I am very concerned about this feature if it means I must allow all messages to be stored in iCould. In fact, if implemented without good security I won't be able to use this feature. I understand the current Messages security system. It is solid, other than a man in the middle attack. Currently messages are encrypted from sender to receiver. But, if the messages are stored on iCloud, just like Notes or other things are, then this won't be true anymore. I don't want that.

I need to know how exactly they handle storing of messages, if it is a feature you get when you turn this on. I just hope I am able to use this because I do want the two features I mentioned in the first paragraph.

19. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

Originally when I beta tested this feature before they pulled it. I was able to sync all my messages from my iPhone to the cloud. And they would all show up on my iPad. But when I enabled it on my iPhone and iPad today. The messages on my phone are not showing on my iPad. What am I missing here?

20. Mike MA macrumors 68020

Mike MA

Would be interesting what the complexity actually is all about.

21. kylew1212 macrumors regular

Has anyone tried this with multiple devices yet?

I have an iPad, iPhone, and a Macbook pro.. All with different messages. Do these get merged, duplicated, ??

22. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

no they are not. I delete it on my phone it stays on my mac. if you have to start your phone from a fresh isntall you loose all your messages.

23. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

Obvious there will be a local cache.
    Question for people testing. What becomes the source of truth? I turn on iPhone iMessages in the cloud then MacBook. Does the MacBook copy everything from the cloud or try to do a compare first?

24. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Say you have an iPhone and iPad using iMessage and iCloud Backup. Until iOS 11.3, those devices’ message databases were stored as part of each device’s backup, so basically each message was stored on iCloud twice.

iOS 11.3 stores the message database only once, separately from iOS device backups, and all devices work from the same database. So, in addition, if you delete a message or thread on one device, it’s automatically deleted from the rest, too. (This isn’t the case in iOS 11.2.5 and earlier.)

Think of it as the difference in migrating from photos in iCloud backups to iCloud Photo Library.
    Highly unlikely.

25. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

Hard to detect sarcasm in text but I really hope that's what this statement was.