iCloud Messages Returns to iOS in First Beta of iOS 11.3

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 24, 2018.

1. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

If you’re remotely familiar with databases, think of it that way (since the Messages app is just an interface atop a SQLite database). The databases from multiple devices are combined to the extent that they can be. Any devices that are missing messages will receive those messages, and any devices with additional messages will upload those to iCloud to be synced back down to the others. Nothing is deleted.

2. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

I see multiple pages of posts in this thread already but "synced" across all devices isn't entirely accurate. Yes, text messages will appear on all of your devices but that's not always a good thing. I have (3) i-devices: iPhone, iMac (for work), and a MacBook Air. My iMac and MBA can be OFF when I receive a text, let's say from Amazon telling me a package is being delivered today. Fine.... I get the text and actually delete it - I have NO need to save these. Get to work, turn on my iMac, and I get a message notification about that package being delivered in the Messages app. Wait, I deleted that... Doesn't matter. During the day, that package gets delivered (and I get a text telling me this too !). Delete it from the iMac, it's still on the iPhone. Go home that evening, open up my MBA and guess what ? I get a text through Messages telling me my package is to be delivered today, when it's already been delivered by then. And just for redundancy, I'll get that text telling me it's been delivered !

If you get various text messages from 'companies', i.e. Amazon, Fedex, Redbox, Verizon, and so on, this gets real old, real quick !! True "sync" would apply to DELETING texts as well as just receiving them. I can't wait to enable this !

3. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

They’re merged where possible. Nothing is deleted.

4. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

It's amazing how difficult of a concept that is for so many !! :mad:

5. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Dark mode, ok, use your power switch.:p

Second one, erm.......

6. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Curious about this as well but I guess I'll find out this evening when I install the beta. I am especially wondering if the non-iOS devices need to be updated to some version of macOS before it fully works. I seem to recall a checkbox for Messages in the iCloud menus on macOS that has since disappeared. I presume it will return soon though at this point, Apple may just be focusing on sync'ing across iOS devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads).

7. christian.terra macrumors 6502

Is there a way to check upload progress for icloud messages? I enabled it but I have no idea if it's working or uploading.

8. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

I’m wondering this also. Before when it was enabled. It had a section that it showed when it was syncing. I can’t find anything like that now. And as far as I know. Nothing is syncing.

9. elmerjrg macrumors newbie

Hopefully this will pave the way for accessing iMessage through the iCloud web portal since I don't think Apple is planning on releasing a non-MacOS client anytime soon. :)

10. chrisblackstone macrumors newbie

Based on that screenshot, it looks like this feature is tied to the primary iCloud on a device, which kinda sucks.

My wife and I share the same iCloud account for contacts, calendar, and photos. I use that same iCloud account for iMessages, while she has her own. I was hoping this feature would allow me to backup my iMessages to the primary iCloud account and allow her to backup to her account.

Can anyone confirm if there is a setting in the Messages app itself that references the backup of non-primary-iCloud account messages?

11. Defthand macrumors 65816

Think of it like email. There are some emails you want to save for posterity, even as you replace devices. Other emails you want to delete from all of your devices using a single device. Now replace email messages with text messages. You’re gaining the same archival and maintenance benefits of email, which is helpful since text messages now outnumber email messages.

12. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

This is exactly why you don’t share Apple IDs. No, it’s tied to the iCloud account.

13. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

How about iMessageCloud? Or, even better :apple: Messages.

14. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Think of how much easier it will be for spammers to tell us about their 73% discount on real Ray Bans

15. Arty6 macrumors member

messages X

16. DotCom2 macrumors 601

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. The already obviously have iCloud experience so what has been the whole hold up about it?!

17. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

If I had to put my money on any one thing, encryption. It’s hard to get it right for a service like this. They were likely able to poke a hole in it in the iOS 11.0 betas and had to pull the feature.

Or maybe they just wanted to entice upgrades, but I doubt it.

18. macplay macrumors member

macplay

19. kruegdude macrumors 6502

Sync’d control
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2018 ---
    The smaller notch on this years iPhone X?

20. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

You're just as bad as he is but the opposite extreme.. Keeping your messages for 10 years is a little wonky, but deleting them every day is a little out there and OCD'ish as well.

21. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

That’s never stopped them before.

22. tdar macrumors 6502a

On the Mac, it's in the preferences section of the messages app. Not in Sys pref iCloud section. Like on the iPhone and the iPad. Yeah I know real consistent.

23. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

On my phone there is a group of friends we have had going since beta of iMessages groups. It's not like I keep it all on purpose but just that I don't really care to go out of way to delete older messages for no reason.

Actually pretty much any text I have is this way. I only delete text whenever it is someone that I used to work with and don't anymore type messages.

24. szw-mapple fan macrumors 68000

szw-mapple fan

Hopefully this can also open up the option of having an online version of iMessage on iCloud.com in the future.

25. Endymion.dark macrumors newbie

Wondering if Messanges on iCloud will be available on the Apple Watch. I hate the way Messages works on the watch.