Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
Is it worth purchasing iTunes match if I've purchased all my music from iTunes?

What would the advantages be of using the match service?

From what I understand, it's going to give me the ability to sync playlists, play counts across devices without having to manually sync them. Is there any other benefit to using it?

Thanks!

doolittle27

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
San Francisco, CA, USA
If your music library only filled with purchased music from iTunes Store, I would not recommend to subscribe for iTunes Match. As you've mentioned, the service gives you ability to sync playlist, play counts, and albums across the devices. If your devices logged into the same Apple ID, you should be able to see your purchases or your whole library (in this case if you purchased all music from iTunes Store) without the subscription.

If you do plan to upload songs that not available on iTunes Store in the future, I would say that having iTunes Match will not be a bad idea after all.

Lastly, iTunes Match allows you to download DRM free files. While Apple Music has the similar feature to this, but the download files come with DRM protected - and they will not be playable after the subscription expired.

Reactions: Green_Plums

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Lastly, iTunes Match allows you to download DRM free files. While Apple Music has the similar feature to this, but the download files come with DRM protected - and they will not be playable after the subscription expired.
I agree with your post but this is no longer the case: Apple Music behaves in exactly the same way as iTunes Match in this regard. Matched content is available DRM-free even under Apple Music. And if you cancel your Apple Music subscription, your downloaded matched songs are still available to you, just like under iTunes Match.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
If your music library only filled with purchased music from iTunes Store, I would not recommend to subscribe for iTunes Match. As you've mentioned, the service gives you ability to sync playlist, play counts, and albums across the devices. If your devices logged into the same Apple ID, you should be able to see your purchases or your whole library (in this case if you purchased all music from iTunes Store) without the subscription.

If you do plan to upload songs that not available on iTunes Store in the future, I would say that having iTunes Match will not be a bad idea after all.

Thanks for your reply.

I'd just have to manually sync my playlists and play counts I guess?

doolittle27

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
San Francisco, CA, USA
Thanks for your reply.

I'd just have to manually sync my playlists and play counts I guess?

Yes, that would be the only inconvenience thing if you do care. I have an iTunes Match service subscribed but never get to look if the play count updated at all when I listen on my devices. Hope you can make a decision soon :)

ps. I'm so jealous of content in UK iTunes :-/

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
Yeah, I've tried manually syncing play counts, playlists... It's not going to very well at all. I think I'll re-subscribe, wish playlist, play counts were a free feature -_-

I'm jealous of your US content :p Let's swap ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.