iCloud = No 64GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applesith, Aug 1, 2011.

1. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Seeing the pricing for iCloud upgrades today, it doesn't make sense for Apple to ever increase storage capacities for any iOS devices. Increasing storage would be a step in the opposite direction of cloud services. Why would Apple want you to store more on the device instead of using iCloud?

Sorry if already posted.

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

Well they are also making it easier to store a lot more data on the phone. In a way that gives more of a need for a 64 GB model.

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

Actually, iCloud has nothing to do with physical storage. iCloud is there to sync files "seamlessly" between iOS devices. This means that is has to be able to put the data of several iOS devices (iPhone, iPod, iPad, MacBook?) into the cloud. It has to be stored somewhere.

4. itsalexaye macrumors regular

I think they may still go to a 64gb iPhone, sure call me dumb stupid whatever. But so many consumers want it.

Also for the real heavy users, a 64GB iPhone will probably be necessary.

5. ESPN macrumors regular

16 GB seems to be the magic number for most people.

32 GB can fit 90% of people and of course Apple would power up their iCloud business if the iPhone doesn't have more storage.

With iCloud, it is highly improbably that a 64GB iPhone will come out.

6. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

I bloody hope so! For the sake of those of us who spend significant time away from a data connection (hiking, commuting - London Underground - and in server rooms that always seem to be in basements or otherwise shielded from phone signals).

7. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I sure hope they release a 64GB version. I've had to remove music / videos from my phone just to have free space (right now at about 2GB).

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

what does cloud storage have to do with local storage, not to mention that it's only 5GB. you also realize that the iPad and iPod touch have 64GB models, right?

9. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Ya know what, just give me 200 gigs and I'm good. And I'm not being sarcastic.

10. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Since the demand isn't high enough, i don't see them making a 64GB so soon.

11. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/first-look-video-of-icloud-com-beta/

You can store up to 50gb of data on iCloud, excluding aps, music match, books and photos.

iCloud has physical storage, you just don't hear about it as much.

12. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

I think we will see 64 GB on iPhone; same as iPad; but no 128 GB

13. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Post PC world people! More storage is coming to iOS devices as it becomes available. I for one would like to have more than 3 or 4 movies on my iPad before a long trip without running back and forth to the computer to re-sync. Even if movies show up on the Cloud some day...this would be a painfully slow process. More storage doesn't hurt Apple in any way, shape, or form.

In fact, less storage does, as more and more people will need to use iCloud to go back and forth between content (using the cloud as a management tool). With more storage on iOS devices, the Cloud becomes a backup locker and not an actual manager of content. In this regard, Apple's servers aren't being worked as hard.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I hope they still do 64GB iPhones. The cloud is not the answer to everything. Many will be dissapointed as to how much battery power is consumed by the device syncing with the cloud.

Dropbox works good for me.

15. Tones2 macrumors 65816

You cannot stream anything from iCloud to your device. You have to DOWNLOAD media on your physical device to play anything. Thus the continued need for local storage - even more so.

It's amazing how many people misunderstand even the simplest concepts. :rolleyes:

Tony

16. Merkie macrumors 68020

17. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Never saw the need for a 64GB iPhone so I don't really care. If they make it I welcome it (although I won't buy it). If they don't, well...I don't need it.

18. itsalexaye macrumors regular

I am fine with my 8gb iPhone 3GS, but I would love to have a bigger iPhone.

19. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I actually think they are going to bump capacity. The iPod Touch has already had bigger capacities and the iPhone for some time now, and if the iPhone gets 1080p video (which it most likely will), I think they are going to have to increase the capacity anyway, and what better way than to do it when they incorporate this storage-heavy option. Really though that's just a small lead, they could just make us silent by sticking with the actual capacities.

20. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

And you know this how, exactly? Current sales figures of 64GB iPhones?? :rolleyes:

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You are correct but I also think it's only a matter of time until they do enable the streaming.
    Yesterday's Apple TV update did exactly that.

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Networks tend to be way too slow to be syncing over the Internet all the time, *especially* when traveling.

To give you an example, this past weekend I had trouble getting much over a megabit (100K/sec) from either my AT&T 3G connection or the Wifi at the hotel i was staying at. Had I been depending on "the cloud" just to listen to my stuff, I would have been highly irritated.

Bring on the 64GB iPhone. Local storage is the way to do things. Even when fast networks are near-ubiquitous there will always be places they don't reach, and I still want to be able to access my media there.

23. LoganT macrumors 68020

Isn't iCloud more for backup than an actual "store everything on here" thing?

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure that I see any benefit to retaining current capacities with iCloud. You still have to manually manage your music on the phone, and I really don't see a situation where it will be easy or convenient to be continually downloading media content onto your phone. People freaked out when unlimited data was dropped, do you really want to be using your tiered data plan to be downloading music that you already own and have access to? Wouldn't it be more practical (battery life, data usage, simply access to your media) to have 64GB/128GB models of the phone rather than relying on a service that isn't really different than buying music off the iTunes Store on your phone? In theory, it's not a bad deal, but seems more suited to laptops and desktops, not mobile devices.