Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I’ll miss the bigger bezels and Touch ID but at least there’s no notch.

I agree. I'm definitely not gonna be an early adopter on this. I recently picked up a 6th gen iPad after my 3rd gen, and I don't think the palm rejection technology is all that hot. Many times it picks up stray fingers and affects what I'm doing. I'd want to make sure that's bullet-ptoof before I start using it.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I’m glad this leaked because it finally puts an end to those ridiculous notch comments and renders.

And also reiterates the change in aspect ratio that myself and others have been talking about but that’s been ignored by tech sites. To be honest, they probably still won’t pick up on it.
There’s a change in aspect ratio?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Cannot wait for another row of icons.

Filling up my Home screen ? The 'Extras' folder is getting to become a rubbish dump for icons i don't use. Its still that way, even you Apple gives you the ability to 'hide' icons, it's still certain icons' only.

Apple's got a sneaky way to give users want they want, while at the same time making apps, shine through.

Lozza013

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Hmmmmm this sounds good but I think I'll stick to my 2017 iPad (5th Generation). I use my Macbook Air and iPhone 7 (Soon to be uprgraded) more than my iPad

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Yes. This icon pretty much confirms it. These will be the first iPads with a screen size not 4:3 since the very first iPad. The new screen ratio seems to be close to 7:5
Mensurated from the icon? Because by eye it looks to be taller and wider, but maybe not in proportion.

There’s not much difference between 4:3 and 7:5 so I guess there wouldn’t be any reason not to change it, if it fits the physical size better. Are there leaks of the physical dimensions? I don’t really follow all the rumors.

Last edited:

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I was going to get an iPad a few months ago for work. So I can carry it everywhere with me in case a client needs something on the go. So glad I checked the rumors back then and waited because this is definitely worth the upgrade price.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Not to be a downer of the news, but the iPad Pros will look exactly like the leaked photos suggest. It kind of sucks that we get all of these leaks now. Nothing is a surprise anymore.
Every year since the original iPhone there has been leaks. Nothing has changed. iPhone 4 is still the biggest leak of all time. If you don’t want to know things don’t come to rumor sites or look things up online. The majority of the population doesn’t know things because they aren’t on sites like these

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Beautiful. Curious to see what materials they use for the casing. Stainless steel frame with an OLED screen like the iPhone X would look incredible on a device athe size of the iPad.
You know that it will be much heavier right?

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
If we had physical dimensions we’d know for sure. When you say the aspect ratio is “close” to 21:15, when measured by a glyph, it may actually turn out to be 20:15, i.e. no change.
From a 9to5Mac article:

“First off, the report offers additional details on the 2018 iPad Pro dimensions. The 10.5-inch model is said to come in at 247.5mm (H) x 178.7mm (W) x 6mm (T), compared to the current dimensions of 250.6mm x 174.1mm x 6.1 mm.

Meanwhile, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is said to stack up at 280mm (H) x 215mm (W) x 6.4mm (T), which compares to the current-generation model at 305.7 x 220.6 x 6.9 mm. With these dimensions, it seems that Apple is focused more on reducing the overall footprint of the 12.9-inch model, fitting the same size display into a considerably smaller body.”

https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/27/2018-ipad-pro-headphone-jack-more/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
why doesn't apple stop using plain language in their code? why wouldn't they use "code words"? Especially for unreleased products?

yanksfan114

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
You don't think that's because they've stopped the outside leaks, and now only the low hanging fruit is left? I mean this is an iPad we're likely to see in less than two months, and just now we're getting an inkling that there's no notch. That's not a leaky Apple, that's an Apple that don't really mind that we get a peek.

(Of course they haven't really stopped the outside leaks, just look at the iPhone picture collection that's building up.)
You’re crazy if you think Apple is giving us a “peek” at an unreleased device.

Suttree

Suspended
Jul 21, 2018
I used to be a big, big iPad advocate but ever since getting the 12-inch MacBook, I barely even touch the iPad. Months and months of non-use. It's ironic because I've reverted to a setup that a lot of people back in 2010 said was ideal: A notebook and a smartphone. That's it. Well, an Apple Watch too, but as far as the iPad goes for me, my mind reels to think how it could fit in my lineup.

Reactions: HacKage

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Looks good. If it's released I might get one for a wall-mounted home automation and security camera monitor/interface.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Love how some of the biggest leaks over the past 2 years have been directly from Apple :rolleyes:
A small number of leaks are “managing expectations”. That’s a good thing. They tip their hand and then adjust their keynote based on fankids
an OLED that big would be +$200 easy...

Sure, let’s do that and make a Really Pro iPad .. probably Apple.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
So, the home button is really disappearing. Guess so will the audio-port.

I find it kind of funny that a LOT of people complained when Apple dropped the head phone jack on their new smartphones yet now other makers are doing the same and yet we barely hear a whisper.
The same is true with the home button, lots of complaints but when others follow it somehow okay or "not so bad"....

We saw the same thing when people lost their minds when Apple stopped putting floppy drives in Macs.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Ughhh watching movies on a bezel-less iPad would sick. The bezels are the handles! I don't want my fingers covering the movie!

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Yes. This icon pretty much confirms it. These will be the first iPads with a screen size not 4:3 since the very first iPad. The new screen ratio seems to be close to 7:5
So does this mean YET ANOTHER resolution change? iPads don’t have great support with phone-centric apps already. The 12.9 iPad Pro lagged years to get some apps in the right resolution (you iPhone X kids can cry). If they break apps AGAIN Devs are gonna rebel and not do it.. then iPad pros will just be crappy expensive iPads with goofy shaped apps.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Ughhh watching movies on a bezel-less iPad would sick. The bezels are the handles! I don't want my fingers covering the movie!

Do you want me to buy this for you?

ipad-plunger-stand-2.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.