If Apple doesn't announce a 5G Touch, would you be content?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Window Frame, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Window Frame macrumors newbie

Let's face it: an update for the Touch would be convenient, but is one really needed? The 4G isn't as obsolete as many people make it out to be. The camera on the 4G isn't the best, sure, but it gets the job done. Video capabilities are actually quite good, though. And yea, sometimes it can be a tad bit slow in general, but I can deal with that.

But is anyone else happy with what they have? I've been content ever since I bought mine in 2010. it's a fantastic device. I hope I am not the only one.

2. kolax macrumors G3

More capacity (128GB version) would be good. Speed bump for internals too, Siri, and some of the features the new iPhone will have.

Sounds like you are happy enough with your iPod touch - great, but I'm glad you aren't in charge of iPod innovation at Apple otherwise it seems like you'd give it a rather lengthy lifecycle.

3. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

All I want is an iPod touch that has a micro sd card slot for extra storage.

4. Window Frame thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you know that Apple isn't going to give the 4G a long lifespan?

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Big want from Apple :eek:

----------

You're right... Could go the way of the Classic :eek:

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Not ever gonna happen :(

I really want a 5G to come out, I don't have a 4 and hear it is like the iPad 1, simply too low specs to cover the retina display, resulting in lots of crashing. And it would be dumb to buy a 3rd gen when it just got kicked off the iOS list.

----------

Because the 4G is already struggling heavily on iOS 5, the RAM and processor can't handle the retina display. If apple is going to release an iPod 5G, it's going to be sooner rather than later.

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I believe the new (5th G) iPod touch will be introduced alongside the new (6th G) iPhone later this year with the taller screen and a similar SoC to the new iPhone -- either a dual-core A15 or quad-core A9 as well as faster graphics to compensate for the slightly higher resolution.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think the next iPod touch will have the A5 that's in the current iPad 2, the one based on the smaller process. It's more than powerful enough for the iPod touch.

It'll be:

A5
    Dictation
    Better camera
    Low-end capacity bump to 16GB, 32GB and 64GB to remain the same.

9. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I honestly dont think the hardware could go on another year without an upgrade for the simple fact the ipod touch lags pretty bad at times, though this is likely the memory than the processor.

I really see a update this year otherwise they risk losing customers in the app store due to hardware limitations.

10. MacIke macrumors regular

MacIke

My 3G struggles. with IOS5.

I did not buy a 4G last year because of lack of decent camera. Give me a 3mp or better yet 5mp.

I want to use ios6 but not sure I will buy an ipod 4g

11. kkillam macrumors member

I'd imagine that if Apple does in fact change the screen size of the iPhone, they will most likely release a matching iPod Touch, especially if there is a change in aspect ratio. I can imagine that once that new ratio has become the norm, there won't be many app developers continuing to write apps using the original ratio, and that would mean that the 4G would be left in the dust. So if there is a change to the ratio, I think Apple would almost certainly change the touch to match, but I don't think they'll necessarily release a new one until then.

12. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

As a user iPhone 4S and iPad 3 that also owns an iPod touch 4 and uses them all heavily, the iTouch4 needs an update urgently. It's not a tad slow. Its really slow compared to the others. Heck, it feels like a low end Android device at times.

I would only be okay if Apple doesn't announce the 5th gen iTouch if they instead announce an "iPad mini" for the same or similar price range.

13. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

Speed boost

All I use my itouch for is a slow mp3. I use my iPad for everything else. But I think that I would use my itouch a lot more if it wasn't so freaking slow. I don't care about camera improvements because I rarely use the camera and when i do use it, it isn't to take high res pics. So basically, all :apple: needs to do to get people to buy it is give it a speed boost. They know that they'll make a ton of $$$ by giving the itouch minor upgrades, so that's exactly what they're going to do.

14. 1458279 Suspended

It should be fully upgraded with BlueTooth LE, camera, processor and memory otherwise Apple would be cutting off a big part of their market. Android is hoping Apple drops the IPT, Apple fans hope they do a full and proper update.

The device is so similar to the iPhone that it can't be that hard to make. There is nothing NEW in the IPT, take the camera, processor, ram, display from the iPhone... you don't have to make anything new or special for it.

For that reason alone, they should make it up to the specs of whatever the current standard iDevice is...

15. backwardsrain macrumors newbie

I love my ipod touch but it is so slow I can't really type on it. Type first letter...wait. Type second letter........wait. Is it really the retina making it lag like that, even for typing?

16. 1458279 Suspended

I have iOS 5.1.1 and 4.3.5 and they both work fast. What are you running and is it JB?

I'd return it back to stock and then put 5.x on there.

17. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I hope they release a new one, but I won't be set on buying it since my 4G isn't SLOW. I can browse the web and play games and type just fine. I don't need a speed demon for my mp3 player.

18. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

To respond to your question: no.

These things are due for an upgrade. I like the iPod touch because it doesn't have a stupid contract. Who needs SMS and calling? It's called IP.

----------

"It's good, but it needs more Mario." -Daneboe's "My Roommate Mario"

Anyway, the fact that it has old hardware and is being sold as new is not good. We could have a way better device with today's technology for the same price. It should have the features that the iPhone 4 has like the light, vibration, and good camera.

I remember my iPhone 1 that my brother found in a recycling bin. I jailbroke it and made it an iPod touch with iPhone features but no calling/texting. So much better than the regular iPod touch.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You don't have to buy the iPhone with a contract.

20. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Sure, but you get massively ripped off. It costs less to just buy an iPhone with contract then sell it after 2 years on eBay.

21. 1458279 Suspended

What's the non-contract price, about $700 vs contract @ 1,800 total for 2 years vs IPT at $300?

I also read that the average age for IPT users is 15. That a chunk of money for most.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You get massively ripped off for paying what the phone actually costs upfront?

23. Nandifix macrumors 6502

I have the 3rd gen from sep 09. Still runs good but can cause a few slowdowns. I would like the 5g to look like the iPhone 5 design.

24. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

It's not what it actually costs, that's what I mean. You're paying more than it's worth.

And the iPod touch is basically an iPhone without a camera, light, vibration, or cellular capabilities. Why would having those things cost an extra $400? (or was it an extra $500?)

25. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

My kids got me a 4G for Fathers Day that replaced my 2G. The Retina display is flawless and the Touch is reliable. I've used it daily and it has not crashed once.

If Apple holds off on releasing a 5G I'll be content.