If iOS.5 doesn't get a home screen overhaul, I'm switching to Android

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coldwarx, May 27, 2011.

1. coldwarx, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

coldwarx macrumors newbie

First off, I never really post on this forum, i usually browse. But i felt like i should post a thread to hopefully spark some constructive discussion on the iOS Grid Icon home screen vs. the customizability of Honeycomb...

Look at this screen:

[​IMG]

I own an iPad2, iPhone4, ATV2, and a MacPro tower (i work in gfx/video).
    So i'm entrenched in the Mac ecosystem, and so far it's been nothing be a pleasure. But i'm also open minded... I think the over simplified, grid icon look is tiresome and quite frankly, becoming an eyesore. After watching videos of the Xoom w/ 3.1 on it, I'm amazed... and kind of regretting my iPad purchase.

The ipad screen is huge, it needs to be utilized.. widgets, split screen, etc. Why wouldn't you want to know the weather/time/recent emails and currently playing songs ALL AT ONCE??? blah... i'm crossing my fingers for WWDC!

P.s. I know I can jailbreak to customize but the themes available right now are weak...

EDIT: how about this one? less pukey?
    [​IMG]

2. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I look at the image you posted and it's way too busy for my tastes (to be fair, it may be the green in the desktop image).

I agree that some kind of graphical refresh on Apple's part would be good (notifications system must be fixed this time around). But I think there's some happy mediume in between the current grid system and Honeycomb's current setup.

4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Nice part though is you have the option to go sparse or go completely crazy. Options are nice to have, people like to personalize things and make them work for their specific needs.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Not disputed. But if I have to choose between an interface that I have to tweak and customize for hours to get to work how I want it, or an interface that works the way I want it out of the box, I'm going to choose the latter.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Nice part is you don't have to choose. Both OS are very simple out of the box.

7. coldwarx thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i don't mind tweaking the interface to get it where I want.
    it's kind of the fun in getting a new toy like an Ipad or laptop or whatever.
    i spent weeks tweaking my JB iphone... and even remember tweaking my winAMP, and ICQ skins...

8. Kizmatti macrumors newbie

Maybe its the OCD in me but that pic in your post of a home screen looks awful.

Way too much information displayed at once in an unorganized fashion.That looks like someone puked random information across the screen.

I hope any change Apple makes isn't radical.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs once said that the most influential college class he ever took was Calligraphy.

Make of that factoid what you will. But that Android homescreen looks like a ransom note.

10. bobobenobi macrumors regular

Apple's stock price just took a dive due to your announcement.

11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If the image above is the default (disclaimer: I have no idea if it is or not), then in my personal opinion I would disagree.

Then it sounds like you'd be better with Android. When I bought my iPad, I liked how I could unbox it, plug it in, and be downloading apps, checking e-mail, etc. in 15 minutes. I didn't have to spend a ton of time getting the interface to work for me. Though I will fully admit that the interface doesn't necessarily work for others.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

I don't understand how some of you use your tablets. No insult, I just don't understand it. I spend such a small length of time looking at the home screen on any device because when I use a tablet/computer I'm using it. I'm typing a document, looking up something on the web, reading e-mails, watching a movie, etc. Alerts tell me when I have a new e-mail etc. and I need to check the weather and an RSS feed maybe twice a day.

When I look at these homescreens and want people want in a homescreen, all I can picture is someone staring at the homescreen watching alerts come and go or something without actually doing anything. Who does this? Can someone explain?

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

My iPhone 4 was my first smartphone and my first iOS device. I loved that after I got it home and activated it, I was up and running in minutes and never really had to tinker with it to feel like I had gotten it organized the way it needed to be.

Is the grid style boring for some? Yeah, probably. For me, it's just so easy. My homescreen is my most used apps. The second screen is for secondary apps that are organized into folders. Simple. I could probably navigate to my weather channel app or TweetDeck with my eyes closed.

However, if you look at my Windows 7 PC at work or at home, you will find no widgets, shortcuts, or anything else on my desktop. I like it clean and clear. The desktop, in my mind, is where you put things temporarily until you figure out what needs to be done with them. (deleted, moved to a network location for backup, etc.) So maybe I'm not Android's target audience.

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Considering Apple is now going to add a grid of apps to the Mac like from iOS, I have a feeling that this design will be around for a while (and you OP might not be).

[​IMG]

I agree with others that your first screenshot is way to busy for Apple's simplistic taste.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

That isn't the desktop though. Just the app list.

16. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't disagree, the screen is a bit convoluted and busy for my tastes as well. I think a lot of that stuff can and should be on the lockscreen. Most people who have used intelliscreen rave about it, it displays whatever info you want on your lockscreen, calendar, missed calls/text, news, etc etc. There are just some things about iOS that are too simple but in reality kludgy, I'd rather see my calendar at a glance instead of having to unlock and open a specific app for example.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm not necessarily using the android home screen as an example as I agree it's too much, at least for myself. But many of us use our devices for quick views, what time is my next patient? Did my wife text or call me? When is that insurance report due? Sometimes I have such a dizzying array of things to keep track of that a simple glance at my phone or tablet helps me with where I need to be at that moment in time. I think this is one of the true strengths of smartphones that Apple in some ways forgot about, information management.

18. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I for one do not have a problem with tapping a weather icon in order to see the weather, or my e-mail icon in order to read my e-mail. I don't need all that stuff thrown in my face when I look at my home screen.

19. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I dislike that Android home screen. When i look at it there is no focal point and its too random.

I'd be disappointed if iOS turned out like that to be honest.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It's better to have the option but not use it than to not have the option at all.

21. coldwarx thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the focal point of the iOS screen?...

All I'm saying is that it would be great to have a CHOICE without jail breaking.
    As a user, you get to control if you want to use the default home screen, or take it to the next level and have multiple bits of information available without opening up each app.

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

Sure, I can see minor lockscreen customization - # of new e-mails, calendar snippet, something like that, but I think implementation is trickier than many think. What apps have permission to show on the lockscreen? Does it show # of new e-mails or snippet views? Can you scroll the calendar up and down or is it a view of the current time? I am sure it could be done, but the problem is managing potential complexity for the end-user (and possibly developers) while keeping the device as intuitive and easy to use as it is now. Saying 'you can customize it if you want to or otherwise leave it alone' occludes dozens of design considerations Apple would have to consider. So - I agree with the end goal (ease of info access for the user) but am not sure opening the floodgates on homescreen customization is the best solution.

Could you answer my question about how you use your iOS device? How often do you stare at the home screen needing multiple bits of information at hand? EDIT: I am kind of lol that this is 'the next level'. I want things as streamlined as possible - the better the device is, the less I use it (or the more I get done). Increasing simplification while retaining utility is 'the next level'.

23. saving107, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I know thats not the desktop, I was referring more to the design of how they display apps, in a grid form.

So unless Apple decides to get rid of the grid of apps and include a LaunchPad like from Mac OS X, I feel that the iPad's main Home Screen will remain the same, but Apple could also barrow another idea from the Mac and get rid of Spotlight when you swipe to the right and make that screen Dashboard with quick notifications.

Yup, because Apple loves giving its users Choice.

Although I am glad I have the choice to make the toggle switch a 'Mute' or 'Lock Orientation' button, thats nifty.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It is perhaps explained by an understanding of Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs" and the concept of "self-Actualization."

[​IMG]

A fully self-actualized individual (according to Maslow) focuses on attaining his (or her) full-potential. And so for device-users the emphasis is on the Application: An artist (Hockney, Columbo) uses an App (Brushes, Sketchbook) to create artwork. A musician uses Garageband. A writer uses Pages. etc. The homescreen simply isn't that important.

Those at a lower level of self-actualization focus more on things like Self-Esteem (ie. the need to micromanage); Achievement (customizing their home screen), and Respect of Others (posting pictures of their Home Screen on the Internet.)

Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs" explains (IMHO) the differences between Apple users and Android people.

25. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Well, you do have a choice. It's called Android.

Not every operating systems does (or should) act the same. iOS will work great for some. Android will work for others. It's up to the consumer to decide which system works for them. For me its iOS.

The fact that so many people keep coming here and asking "why can't iOS be more like android" while not jumping over to android seems to imply that android isn't all that it's cracked up to be. :p