Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Will you try to return the iPad 3 to Apple? It's not unheard of that Apple takes returns for items well over the return period. I once returned a MacBook Pro 13" months (about 3 months) after I purchased it because I complained that I had to strain to see the screen and this gave me a headache (it really did). They happily took it back no further questions asked. It was overall a very pleasant experience. I later went on to buy a 2011 Air 13" a month or so later so I was very grateful for the excellent customer service.

Anyway, will anyone try? Will anyone sell and then buy the refreshed iPad? Will anyone be upset? I'm just curious.

If it's something minor, like the 30 pin is switched out for the Lightning connector, I don't think I'd be terribly upset.

But if it's a major refresh... like IZGO display, thinner, lighter, Lightning connector and maybe better battery... I think I'd be pretty upset I picked up an iPad 3. I know I'll get a lot of "the iPad 3 will still works fine" retorts, but anyone else?

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
There is zero chance of a major iPad refresh. The only rumors have surrounded changing to the new connector.

LJ50

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2011
It would actually make me LESS likely to upgrade my iPad in future.

The annual update cycle works for me and I've upgraded. It's worth the expense to enjoy having the newest and best device for 12 months.

The thought of shelling out the same money, only to know/believe it will be superseded a few months later, does not appeal.

I'd probably skip this and the next upgrade. My iPad 3 would still work and if I can manage without one update then I can manage without a second... Once you get into the habit of not having the latest device, I think you'd feel less compelled to upgrade when a new one is released.

blackbelter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012

The annual update cycle works for me and I've upgraded. It's worth the expense to enjoy having the newest and best device for 12 months.

The thought of shelling out the same money, only to know/believe it will be superseded a few months later, does not appeal.

I'd probably skip this and the next upgrade. My iPad 3 would still work and if I can manage without one update then I can manage without a second... Once you get into the habit of not having the latest device, I think you'd feel less compelled to upgrade when a new one is released.

Why couldn't you, or some other people as you have claimed, be more rational when it comes to upgrading your iDevice? What I meant is that, you could have evaluated each new generation of iDevice, just to see if it is worthy of an upgrade, and make your decision based on that rational evaluation. It is perfectly possible, and frequently true, that the new features introduced in a particular generation of device do not appeal to you at all, in which case you could just shy away from upgrading. Wouldn't that be better than blindly sticking with the annual, or whatever time^(-1) as Apple deems good, upgrade cycle?

If Apple decides that the technology advancement within the past few month has enabled them to make a new device that is sufficiently advanced to be called the next generation, why would they hold the device just because of your irrational upgrading habit? There are many many other people, me included, who would be happy if Apple could release a new device as soon as they have accumulated enough new technologies.

So, in a nutshell, get over yourself.

Last edited:

Taimaru

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
UK
I wouldn't replace my iPad 3 with a refreshed or slightly changed version. The change would have to be worth it to give up iOS 5.1.1, as I haven't updated to iOS 6 yet.

In addition I would only upgrade to an iPad 4 if it had double the storage and was lighter, thinner, but the same width and height. I wouldn't want it to increase in size like the iPhone 5.

The iPad Mini, however, is tempting as an additional device to my iPad for times when I want to use a small bag which the iPad won't fit into.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
Since my iPad 3 is working great, a refreshed version doesn't interest me. I'd rather wait and see what the iPad 4 has to offer.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

Why not just enjoy what you have?

I never got why people upgrade every year especially when their previous devices still works ok.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The 'new' iPad is great, but really has not got enough juice to operate without being jerky and everyone knows that. Refresh ASAP. A5X chip needs upgraded.

blackbelter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Everyone knows this ? Gee no one told me of this group thinking, maybe I am the only one that has an IPad that works just fine

It largely depends on what you do, and how long you plan to use it in the future. If you play a lot of games like I do, I am sure your new iPad will get obsolete within one or two years, probably sooner than an iPad 2. Of course it works fine for now, but if you, like me, do not plan to upgrade it unless absolutely necessary, the new iPad is not a good option.

But if you only do light things such as watching youtube or surfing the web on your new iPad, it will serve you well for a long long time to come.

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
A refresh makes sense. Smaller chip size means higher yield per wafer therefore cheaper production. Plus the whole 4G debacle in those countries where they had to change marketing was embarrassing.

I shan't be getting one either way - very hard to convince my wife about the need to update.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
It doesn't matter what happens or when. As soon as the next iPad is on the market, I will buy it. Having said that I don't believe Apple will change sth now.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Lighter, quicker chrging, stereo speakers, faster dual stream wifi would be interesting,
but the new connector would kill the deal unless they give away adapters, hdmi and camera kits.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt
iPad 4 in March. No refresh now.

He is right. Apple will not screw up the time frame. It is all about money. Well thought to let you make money first after iPhone 5.

Agree. Why bother when in a few short months the new version will come out.

Edit: Well, guess I was wrong. A small refresh is in the works for this coming Tuesday the 23rd. New connector

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I would be tempted to get a refreshed iPad if the processor was significantly upgraded. Although I'm mostly happy with my iPad 3, I feel like the upgrade to the A5X was not enough to drive a retina screen and be ready for the next generation of apps. As a result, I believe the current iPad will be obsolete much sooner than previous models--like as soon as the next model is released with the A6 or A6x.

However, if the only change is that it gets the ridiculously named "lightning" connector and Euro LTE bands then its hardly worth it.

AppleChampagne

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt
iPad 4 in March. No refresh now.

Agree. Why bother when in a few short months the new version will come out.

I think the refresh is imminent, Apple knew there iPad was a total plan B product and need to take the orders away from Samsung for the horrible mixed pink and yellow screens... You will probably see a 10" IGZO screen and without doubt a lightening connector and an A6 processor. There is no point in Apple keep producing the A5X for just the iPad. IMHO the iPad 3 was Apple's worst ever product, it lags like hell and heats up like a radiator when playing 3d games.. Lets hope this refresh rocks, if it does i will be first in the queue;P

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Ill do nothing, my Original iPad still does everything i need, access the internet, read books via the kindle app, access my emails and lets me watch netflix/stream from iTunes when im in bed.

When an update to the iPad comes along that offers an actual NEW feature, rather than a new font, or gimmick like camera that i am never going to use, or if this iPad ever dies, ill think about upgrading, probably to a windows 8 tablet, which will do everything my iPad does now, but also allow me to run full windows apps (I wont be going near the RT version of windows 8)

So far, apple has upgrade nothing in the iPad that interests me, or i would call a "must have" feature to upgrade too, if they added an SD card so you could upgrade your storage then i might consider it a reason to upgrade, otherwise, much like the iPhone, i see no difference between the 3 and the 5 except a slightly larger screen, every other "feature" is a minor gimmick

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
you mean to tell me that if i waited 4 weeks to buy my iPad 3, 32 LTE instead of buying it last week, i could have gotten the lightening connector for the same price???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
No, I have more important things to spend my money on in life..ipad3 suits my needs perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.