Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcooldude86

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm still sticking with the 38mm SS link bracelet plus the extra band. Its going to be interesting how these reviews affect the watch sales, maybe more people will just buy the sport now? I'm okay with that, means I might get my SS on launch day :D

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
It hasn't changed my mind by much. I've never owned a really nice or extravagant watch, so I'm either going with the 42mm SS milanese or the 42mm SS link bracelet.

mjs402

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Nope, still indecisive between my 4 favorited SS w/ link (38 + 42) or Black SS w/ link (38+42).

Regarding reviews: In the words of myself... 'ef 'em.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I enjoyed the reviews. They confirmed my suspicions, made me happy that I'd already decided to wait so as to allow Apple time to sort out the bugs and other annoyances. They'll learn a lot and the second gen will be excellent.

pukrnukr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
Roc
do you really think you'll take a $600 loss on it in one year? Especially for the black SS, which I doubt will be as abundant as the sport or SS?

if you buy the black SS for $1100 now, and sell in a year for $850 (assuming they do once per year updates), that's about $21/month loss. If you buy the sport now for $350 and sell for $230 in a year that's a $10/month loss. So basically, you're paying $10 per month difference in loss to have the one you actually want vs settling for the sport. For me, I'd rather have the nicer looking one if I'm going to have one at all.

(Of course, those numbers for loss are all made up. There might be more or less of a loss of value after one year. We won't know until that time comes)

You'll probably be better of keeping any of the nicer bands and selling it with a sport band if you get a SS. I think it's going to be a harder to get your money back on the more expensive ones. iPhone and iPads with higher storage usually don't claim that much extra at resale and I think the watch bands and SS finish will be the same. I also thinks it's going to be hard to sell a used SS for any more than a new sport model gen 2 which will probably be considerably better. At least that's what I'm thinking. I thought all the pictures of the SS looked great in the reviews. They make me want one even more but just can't justify the extra money when I know I'll very likely be upgrading it and already have other watches when dressing up. If I wore a suit everyday then I'd go for the SS with a couple nicer bands.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
do you really think you'll take a $600 loss on it in one year? Especially for the black SS, which I doubt will be as abundant as the sport or SS?

if you buy the black SS for $1100 now, and sell in a year for $850 (assuming they do once per year updates), that's about $21/month loss. If you buy the sport now for $350 and sell for $230 in a year that's a $10/month loss. So basically, you're paying $10 per month difference in loss to have the one you actually want vs settling for the sport. For me, I'd rather have the nicer looking one if I'm going to have one at all.

(Of course, those numbers for loss are all made up. There might be more or less of a loss of value after one year. We won't know until that time comes)

My fear is that if I buy the top of the line non-gold version and they come out with a significantly improved version in a year, that the resale value will drop precipitously. I don't think the value of these watches is going to hold as well as other iDevices. Of course I making my numbers up as well.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
The reviews really just made me want the watch that much more.

38mm SS with classic buckle before and after reviews.

Maybe it's my "Apple" colored glasses, but the reviews also made me want the watch that much more. I didn't really see many negatives about the slowness, but I think they will probably fix that.

I do think I'm gonna go for 38mm though instead of 42mm. I just think the 42mm will be way too big on me.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I was 50/50 on the Apple Watch. It's not a product I was dead set on getting, as I am with the new MacBook. If that were the case, reviews wouldn't deter me. But it's not something I absolutely need, so since it has a few hiccups...it makes me want to wait until it's more fleshed out.

Kermy

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
The reviews have tempered my enthusiasm somewhat. Before this morning, I was 100% dead set on getting the SS, but now I'm waffling back and forth between the SS and the Sport. The decision to actually get a watch has not changed, just which version...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe it's my "Apple" colored glasses, but the reviews also made me want the watch that much more. I didn't really see many negatives about the slowness, but I think they will probably fix that.

I do think I'm gonna go for 38mm though instead of 42mm. I just think the 42mm will be way too big on me.

yeah, I'm watching a lot of video reviews and outside of the verge, they are all very positive.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I've decided that I'm going to have Siri flip a coin, heads ss Milanese band, tails aluminium white sport band.

Siri said heads yea.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
yeah, I'm watching a lot of video reviews and outside of the verge, they are all very positive.

I'd still love to know who at Apple decided it was a good idea to give Nilay Patel at the Verge a review unit. But then not someone like Rene Ritchie. Or apparently not anyone at Ars Technica. Sure the Verge might get more page views but if they do a crappy review that's the last thing Apple wants.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Before:42mm SS with classic buckle then purchase Milanese loop later
Now: 42mm Space grey Soort with black sport band and possible black leather loop later.

I just really need to know is the space grey the same as my 6 plus or not and what leather loop looks like on it. I'm ok with spending $400+$59 for AppleCare+ rather than $800+$79

James Manesh

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
The reviews have made me go from considering the SS model to getting the Sport instead. That's about it, really.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I think Nilay and the Verge did a great job with their review. For once, I feel that they opened up and gave an honest critique of an Apple product without worrying about whether they'll get invited to the next keynote.

Performance issues, namely waiting seems like a legitimate issue that I hope Apple can address. Convenience is one of the biggest selling points of the Watch (for me at least), and to quote their review: what good is a watch that makes you wait?

I haven't changed my mind about getting a Watch, I think it'll be a cool toy to play around with for a while. But it has made me reconsider that Space Black SS in favour of a more sensible option.

No point going all-in for a product that has some issues to work through.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
I'd still love to know who at Apple decided it was a good idea to give Nilay Patel at the Verge a review unit. But then not someone like Rene Ritchie. Or apparently not anyone at Ars Technica. Sure the Verge might get more page views but if they do a crappy review that's the last thing Apple wants.

In 2 weeks, this won't matter at all, as every tech site and blog and youtube tech channel will be posting a review which will be over 9000 times more negative than Patel's.

Personally, I found Patel's review more honest than some others like NYT which seemed to be a shuffle of Apple PR sample phrases.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Before reviews: 38 mm SS with a black band of some sort.
After Reviews: 38 mm Sport with blue band and some sort of lightweight black band to be determined as a second color.
-----
Oddly,I think the Stainless Steel looks even sharper than I thought before, and I liked it plenty before. But I am not so sure it is a great look on women or at least not a tiny woman like me. In more realistically set photos and not on carefully photographed models like Christy Turlington, it looks very heavy.

So I'm now enthusiastic again about the blue sport that first caught my eye. The aluminum looks pudgy too but with the brushed surface might look a bit more streamlined and the bright blue band says I'm not taking the look too seriously.

At this point now I don't think there's a chance in hell I'm going to be able to pull off classy and elegant even if I got solid gold and leather. I'm small and the watch needs to shed some thickness for that to happen to me. Again this applies to me and my build. I think a woman even a couple of inches taller could pull off the look. I am not that woman.

So I'm going for funky and sporty. The secondary black band will make it blend better with my fall and winter clothes.

I'm also frankly concerned the reported lag is a hardware and not a software issue.

If Jony Ive does his Jony Ive thing and skinnies up generation 2 and they make it work snappier the way an at-a-glance device should, I'll splurge big.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Being completely honest...

I was already going back and forth between SS and the Sport. I am 100% going with the sport now. My prediction is that the watch will go down $50 to $299 and $359 depending on how sales go.

Most turned off by the fact that several reviews labeled it slow. 14 days

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Tuck tail and run. Off you go.

Oops must have hit a nerve... :eek:

----------

After reading an interesting article late today in Wired, they've painted a picture of the impact on Apple if the watch fails. Interesting.

I still maintain that Apple will throw all the money in the world at the watch to keep it alive. Besides no one tells more convincing stories than Apple. They'll spin it so as to make sure people perceive it as successful. It's their reputation on the line.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
[*]By buying the sports model, I can afford to buy my wife one too! She's said ok, so we'll both have one which will make it a bit more enjoyable to use as we can get more use of the watch-only features
[/LIST]

I think that's a better strategy. You and your wife could have some funs with the new devices together. For me, the review doesn't change anything. I still go for SS and white rubber band. (Gruber called it the best rubber band he wore ha ha)

One thing that the reviews DO change me though is now instead of contemplating buying another rubber band, I'm considering buying link bracelet for my next band. It's so cool.

Last edited:

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I had sort of convinced myself that I should get the stainless eith Milanese loop because I wanted something a bit more adult looking, but I am definitely rethinking getting one of the higher end versions. I may just get the sport with white band, or possibly nothing at all.

cdm283813

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2015
I was thinking of getting one if I was to go to the iPhone 6s this fall but seeing the performance issues and the spinning wheel while data was uploading to the watch really placed a bad taste in my mouth. During theverge review the watch is literally sitting there for a good 5 to 7 seconds pulling data from the phone. Thats a pretty long time when it only takes half that time to whip out your phone.
I knew the complexity of the Apple watch OS and input options would be confusing but lag on a watch is not acceptable. This is clearly a first gen product. I wouldn't buy it even if the price was reduced to $250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.