If you don't like the notch...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yadmonkey, Sep 19, 2017.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I just wanted remind people that the best course of action is to hound Apple with feedback here...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

...and on social media until they get the message. I cannot imagine an alternate universe where Steve Jobs lived and allowed an iPhone to release with such a piss-poor design choice. The notch is not a way to achieve edge to edge - it is rather an constant reminder that they did not achieve edge to edge design.

This is objectively poor (obstructed) design:

[​IMG]
    This shows (on the right) a far better alternative:

[​IMG]

Edge to edge totality is overrated (and BTW is not achieved on the left). The pic on the right is a beautiful and practical implementation of the inherent limitations imposed by the camera hardware. This is not a simple case of personal taste. What Apple has presented violates the most basic standards of what makes for good design. Luckily it is fixable by software and just maybe Apple will do it if they hear enough feedback on it.

2. ajones92 macrumors member

ajones92

so......letterboxing? No. Let the notch live man. Nobody is going to be complaining once they actually start using the phones

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why must Apple change the design, just because you and others don't like it? Don't like the design...don't buy. Problem solved. No software update needed.

4. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Just wrote them saying they should have made the notch a little bigger. It's too small IMO.

5. noles1983 macrumors regular

At the very least it should have a settings option to make that dog eared monstrosity all black for people that hate the notch.

6. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

I can't imagine any apple feedback will get them to change their iOS design... but I do like that right mockup MUCH much better.

7. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Never use my iPhone in vertical and I think the left looks better in portrait. Notch works for me.

8. Speechless macrumors 6502a

I love the notch so I will feedback the opposite of what y’all say :p

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A new support group (The Newly Notched ) will be starting on MacRumors shortly. It's goal is to support and assist those who have been notched, with integrating into a notchless world; reaffirming the belief that it is ok to be different.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

I'm going to get a holster so I can put a notch on my belt.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I won’t lie I’m not a big fan of the notch, but it’s a little too early for this imo let’s wait to have it in our hands and in real world use.... then if it’s still bad and we don’t get used to it, by all means let Apple hear your opinion.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

In the photo at the top, I prefer the one on the left. I rather have Apples version, it just looks better..and in most cases I have seen in videos I forget the notch is even there.

lol getting so sick of the notch babies

13. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I don’t really understand why this is the retort whenever someone has a critique of a product.

For years, people criticized the iPhone because it had bezels, and they eventually got what they wanted (I guess?) Should they have just said nothing?

For years, people criticized Apple for not having a true HD display. Should they have just “not bought iPhones”?

Apple is saying that this is going to be the future of iPhone design for the next ten years. And it’s terrible. So no, as someone who has used iPhones for the last ten years, as someone who enjoys iOS, for someone who doesn’t care for android, I’m not going to simply quietly move along. Sorry if that bugs you.

14. jetydosa macrumors member

The fact that people on the net get so hurt about the notch makes me love it more!! Love me some notch!!!!

Let the hate flow through you!!!

15. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

3F8DBE95-9427-4B12-BE35-56E81C1CF3F3.jpeg

16. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Rather have the notch than some outdated huge bezels that take up so much space on a phone when they could be reduced and screen size could actually get a little bigger...while making a smaller, more one-handed friendly phone...oh wait, that’s what they did with the X! It’s gonna be so dope.

17. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lol. Oh wait, You’re not actually getting more usable display. Nor a true e2e screen.

18. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Oh the horror of not getting a true e2e screen lemme go buy a phone with outdated bezels instead cause the bezels on the X are like minuscule lol

19. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I just checked out the Samsung 8 today at the Verizon store and I must say it made me dislike the notch even more :(

20. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

The iPhone on the right isn’t edge to edge. Apples version is closer to edge to edge than that mock-up imo.

21. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Samsung, that phone must have been on fire! Lol
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    People want the iPhone to look like a Samsung smh Samsung phones are so ugly

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Dont forget to complain about not having 19th century technology (yes boys and girls, your 3.5mm port is from 1878) in 2017 technology.

23. JohnApples macrumors 65816

The problem I have is not the notch itself but the usable screen space.

On both the right and left pictures, the usable screen area is the exact same. The only difference is what's colored in.

Apple extends the screen, but then letter-boxes it with white instead of black. They're just filling in those areas for the sake of filling them in and nothing more in most cases.