Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you had to leave your country and choose another one to live, where would it be?

• United States of America

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • United Kingdom

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • Canada

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Australia

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Germany

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • France

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Switzerland

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Spain

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Russia Federation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japan

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • South Korea

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • China

• India

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • United Arab Emirates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another country in Europe

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Another country in Asia

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Another country in South America

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Another country in Africa

• North/South pole

• Others

• Total voters

phamduc.minhanh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
Greetings,

This is just a question for entertainment purposes only: If you had to leave your country and choose another one to live, where would it be? Remember, you can only purchase and use goods and services that are created, manufactured or offered by that country. State with a reason or reasons.

I would want to live in United Kingdom:
- House: a flat in Canary Wharf, London;
- Language: British English;
- Accent: Received Pronunciation;
- Spouse: a conservative, classy and elegant British lady;
- Car: Aston Martin/Bentley/McLaren/Lotus/Jaguar/Rolls-Royce cars;
- Fashion: Burberry, Marks & Spencer, Reebok;
- Work: HSBC;
- Currency: British Sterling Pound;
- Phone: Vertu (I am so gonna miss my Apple products);
- Laptop: N/A (ironically);
- Sports: English Premier League (football), Rugby, Cricket;
- Music: Leona Lewis, Westlife, Jessie J, Coldplay, Muse, N-Dubz, Sugababes, Amy Winehouse, Beetle, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stone, Take That;
- Food and drinks: biscuits, Lipton tea and gourmet dining.

Edit: No Westlife for me anymore. They are Irish, not British. A big disappointment.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

Last edited:

phamduc.minhanh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
They're Irish, dear chap. No Westlife for you. ;)

Greetings,

I could not believe that I have made such a big mistake. However, this is how Mr David Cameron and his Royal Navy come in handy. We will make Ireland our land.

Do not take my words seriously though, I am just kidding!

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

Last edited:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I would choose Japan because it is really advanced and has a lot of stuff.

I'm not saying it's the only good place to live - it would actually probably be more practical to live in England where people speak English.

But Japan is way cooler.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Don't know which. Probably Australia, since there's family there.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Assuming I would become a citizen. I would have to choose Switzerland. As I understand it they have some of the best gun ownership laws in the world. The people have liberty. Plus they are still maintaining separation from the European Union.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Canada I suppose. As it would be a comparatively minor change for someone who has lived in their US their whole life.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I pick Australia, their accents are way cooler than british accents. No vegemite for me though.

phamduc.minhanh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
I have already done that. I left Greece and went 6 years ago to Germany. I love the country and I am happy here.

Greetings,

So 4 years ago, you had already known that Greek economy would collapse soon?

Germany is a nice place. I am a big fan of Bayern Munich football club and Germany national team. I also love German sausages and cars. Probably someday, I will try their beer, too.

However, living in a country that does not have English as an official or de facto language is a big turn off for me. Thus, it is likely that I would only move to any Anglosphere country, preferably United Kingdom, if I had to leave my beloved country.

On the side note, frequent visits to Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Switzerland from United Kingdom for holidays would be nice though.

Cheerio,

Pham Duc Minh Anh

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
For me, probably Germany.

All the people I've ever met from that country have been so very nice.

phamduc.minhanh: Oh yes, the beer is quite good. :) I don't normally drink beer, but if it's German - I can be persuaded. :cool: I think my first German beer that I ever tried was Lowenbrau, nothing really super special - middle of the road and not too bad. Food over there is nice too. :)

That said, I love my country and it'd be hard to take me away from it.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
So 4 years ago, you had already known that Greek economy would collapse soon ;)?

Germany is a nice place. I love the football club Bayern Munich and Germany national team. I also love its sausages and cars. Someday, I will probably try its beer too.

However, living in a country that does not have English as an official or de facto language is a big turn off for me. Therefore, I will probably only move to any Anglosphere country.

Usual visits to Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Switzerland from United Kingdom for holidays would be nice though :rolleyes:.

Well, I think that Greece was in trouble even before that, only the world didn't know anything about it:)
I have studied German at the university and always wanted to live in Germany..That was the reason for me to move..

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Either the US or somewhere else in Europe like Sweden. Actually probably more somewhere in Europe.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Probably France, Italy or Canada. Been to Canada/France a couple times and really enjoyed it. Always wanted to go to Italy too. Would be a hard choice though picking one between these countries.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My country is the U.S.A. and I don't want to leave yet. I'm undecided (where is that choice??*), and would have to consider more than one country*... such as Canada (Vancouver), Great Britain, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Australia, and others if I think on it enough. Sweden might be good if not so cold as with most of Scandinavia.

* poorly constructed poll. My most common poll critique. We need to have a poll authoring class here at MRs. :)

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Alaska...:cool:

Seriously, I would pick Australia if they would let me in. They have all this stuff that interests me like spiders, deadly snakes, jellyfish and sharks. And everything is upside down from here in the Pacific NorthWest.

Dale

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'd be at a toss up among Ireland, Germany, UK, or New Zealand/Australia. I voted New Zealand, since it's close enough to Australia to really be voting for two countries at once. ;)

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
I would consider UK or Israel. Switzerland and Japan sound interesting for a little while.

I would definitely not go to Germany. Ever, for any reason and for any money. Even if they paid my entire stay there. Don't think UAE would be too happy to see me there either. :)

Kentochan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Virginia, USA
JAPAN ALL THE WAY!!! Being Japanese, Japan would be the country of my choice. And having been there so many times, I can't help but love the place! The food is great, the people are generally friendly, and the country itself is high tech! I have awesome relatives there, and a few close friends too. What more could you ask for?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.