iPhone XR If you wanted a middle ground between XS and Max, XR is NOT for you

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Because the bezels are one mm thicker (two if you include both sides) and with the 6.1" screen, the width is pretty much identical to the XS Max. It is only a little shorter but also significantly thicker. I was originally in the market for a slightly bigger phone than the XS and a slightly smaller phone than the Max (the cheaper price was just icing on the cake). However because the width is essentially the same, you are better off just getting a Max if money wasn't a concern and you only wanted an "in between" size between the XS and the Max. If you're going to handle a bulky phone anyway, you might as well get the bigger screen on the Max since the width and weight are really similar to the XR.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

And if money is a concern, they'd get the XR.

This is your second thread about it. It's a fine phone. Each to their own.

3. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I didn't think about the slightly thicker bezel making the phone similar width to the Max. I learned something. Thanks.

4. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

The max doesn’t display any additional information. Although text will be larger. The XR is basically a mini max in terms of screen real estate and behaves like one. Though I think the content is a bit tiny. The max feels more spacious.

5. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Users: “I don’t care about a thicker phone, I want more battery life.”

Apple: “Here’s a phone that’s a little bit thicker and has better battery life”.

Users: “This phone’s too thick!!!!”

You can’t please everyone..:

6. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I think the OLED would be more of a reason why you get XS Max not the size. If we are comparing. 1080p looks horrible on the XR being a 720p screen.

7. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

True

Many have called for a thinner phone as well. There isnt a perfect phone for everyone.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    Im confused.

8. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The XR is 0.6 mm thicker than XS Max. That's the thickness of a premium glass screen protector.

LOL

Let's not forget the XR has the longest battery life of any iPhone, ever.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I find height to be a bigger limitation than width or incremental thickness. The XR is meaningfully shorter. Enough to potentially sway me.

For those who are pwm sensitive it’s really the only option and I’m glad it’s there.

10. Mackinjosh Suspended

Yes, despite all the reviewers pointing out that it's a great middle-ground between the XS and Max in size, it isn't. Why? Because OP said so. Definitive proof.

My favorite part was when you said the difference in width was small, despite it being very different than the disparity in thickness, yet you painted the difference in thickness to be major. Your agenda is showing.

11. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

12. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

13. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

"significantly thicker"? That is laughable at the very least.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I just saw one in person... after being used to the iPhone X for almost a year, the bezels seem huge to me lol... I know they aren't but its just perception I guess.

15. adamgbiggs macrumors 6502

adamgbiggs

It’s only 0.6mm thicker than the Xs, is that really a big noticible difference?

Adam.

16. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Well yeah, if you compare a mm in terms of thickness vs width, of course the thickness is a lot more noticeable. You don't notice a mm in terms of a width measuring 75 mm (1% difference) , but you do notice a mm in terms of thickness measuring 8.3 mm (12%).

17. Mackinjosh Suspended

You know how insane that is, right?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    It is if you have an agenda, yes.

18. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

So my agenda is to tell everyone to not buy the iPhone XR but instead get another iPhone, the XS Max (another Apple product) instead? Er...so yeah I guess I do have an agenda. But the furiosity of your response makes it seem as if I am telling everyone to buy an Android phone instead.

19. pdp1 macrumors regular

Which is still pretty useless what you're doing. I mean, it's not like you're explaining some really intricate technological difference of the phones; you're trying to convince people how a phone will feel in their hands! They need to go and pick up the phones themselves, it's the only way to really compare something like size and feel.

20. Aneres11 macrumors 68020

Aneres11

I have an XS Max which I’ve used for a few weeks now and got the XR today. The XR is basically the middle choice re sizing for these devices. The XR is perfect for me. The XS is just too small, the XS Max a little unwieldy.

Goldilocks indeed!

21. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Would you say the overall width is about the same? Is it easier to use more-so because it is not as tall? That is my guess based on pictures I have seen. I haven't had a chance to make it to the store yet.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Why does it matter what others buy for themselves?

23. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

The XR is for me as it is middle ground between the XS and XS Max.

24. white4s macrumors 68000

Worry about yourself. Who are you to tell what other people want or don't want

25. KOTN91 macrumors regular

It’s unfathomable why they made the XR absolutely huge. It is a gorgeous phone but the size is a complete deal breaker. How are you supposed to fit it in your pocket or use it with one hand?

Before anyone says that it’s the way the market is, the standard 4.7 phones always massively outsold the plus models