If You Wanted Something, What Would You Do To Get It?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frozo., Mar 27, 2011.

1. Frozo. Guest

Hello,

As many of you know I'm really interested in getting a 13" MBP base model, I went into my local PC shop yesterday and used one (Was the 2010 version) but still it was really good performed well, surprisingly I could see everything on the screen and was easy to use.

However I'm struggling to get the final bits of money together (I live at home, student and no job, I've been looking but can't find a suitable one for outside of college hours)

And it looks like I'm going to have to get a windows laptop :(

What would you do to accumulate the last bit of money (around £400)

Thanks

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Work.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

You can't find any on-campus jobs? (IT, library, etc?). Most places I worked outside of school were very accomodating to my schedule (as many others employees were in school as well). Just talk to some managers if you can and let them know you're a student.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What about bar work? It has the double benefit of paying a wage and stopping you going out and spending your money on a night ;)

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Could you do some temping through an agency? A friend of mine did it while looking for another job an he often just did quick jobs that were a couple of days over a weekend or during a holiday.

I used to work for Jobcentre Plus and during my time there I heard some agencies are terrible, so best to get a recommendation from someone else who has done it. If you are a student, presumably you won't need to pay any tax, so should be a breeze to make £400.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I hope you are buying from Apple, not the "PC shop" you mention? 13" MBP is ~£850 online and UK uni students get a 3 year warranty as standard online (no need to buy AppleCare).

Do you have commonly studied A-levels? This time of year lots of GCSE/AS/A-level students will be looking for revision help. A few of my friends have done tutoring and depending on the location and level they can get £20-30 an hour. Obviously there is preparation time as well but it is a very good hourly rate for a student

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

"Donate" plasma.

Collect and recycle aluminum cans.

Have a yard sale.

Seriously, you find a way - although if you're in that bad a spot for £400, you should probably make sure your mortgage and utilities and insurance and such are all paid up first.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Unless you seriously need a new computer right now, save your money. 400 pounds is quite a bit though.

9. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Sounds like you need to broaden your opinion of what constitutes "suitable."

Flipping burgers or bagging groceries will accumulate money well enough.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And don't spend on stuff you don't need. Like fast food.

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Double post, please delete

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Assuming you are talking about blood plasma, you can't get paid for donating blood/marrow/organs etc in the UK. The national blood service will give you a parking permit, cup of tea and biscuits for going to a donation centre though! Pretty good!!!

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're at uni, and you can't even think of ways to make £400? Fail. :p

And really, a Windows laptop isn't necessarily bad. If that's all you can afford to spend, then that's all you can afford to buy.

14. Frozo. thread starter Guest

I live at home with my parents so I don't need to pay for bills :)

All the jobs I do find are in College hours, I've found a few cleaning jobs that start before college which I'm taking a look into :)

I'm at college :p I'm 17

I think I'm going to head down the windows laptop route :( will have to suffice for the time being

15. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you NEED a computer now?

When I needed to buy a car and wanted to start up a small business, i was working over 75 hours each week while attending classes. Those classes (a whole spring semester followed by 3 summer classes) also ended up being my best performance in class. If you really want something, you'll find a way to make it happen.

I don't know the pay in the UK, but having the money in a month shouldn't be a problem if you find a weekend job.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

You're at uni. You shouldn't have the time to earn £400. You should be studying.
    Deal with it. It was your choice to go to uni, in hope that in the future you would have a highly paid job. Get studying than wishing you had a Mac. You can buy a Mac when you have a job.

17. Frozo. thread starter Guest

I'm not at Uni yet, I start Uni in september

18. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

But fast food can be so good.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

That would make you the same age as me. My mistake, I misunderstood your post.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sometimes people have to compromise on what they truly want until they can have what they want. Some people are lucky to get what they want later and sometimes people have to settle for their second choice. Either way, it's called life and life is not always and sometimes often unfair.

Go with the windows machine if you need a computer now. You'll eventually get your Mac if you work hard.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with."

22. mroddjob macrumors member

If you can, wait till you get to uni, you can get the apple higher education discount, and it'll give you like 10 weeks over your summer holiday to work full time which will give you plenty of options for jobs and you'll make enough for a higher spec MBP if you really want or even if your working minimum wage it'll take you 3 weeks working full time to make £400

23. Frozo. thread starter Guest

I think I'm going to go with the windows laptop for now and do as others said and work throughout the summer to earn enough money or at least some money towards the mac at uni :)

Any suggestions for decent windows laptops?

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This runs Windows beautifully.

25. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

best to get cracking.

you need money, work for it.