Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm, the entire phone industry is abuzz with excitement regarding the "folding phone trend".

If anyone isn't excited about it then they are simply a non-Apple hater?

Regardless of how I personally feel for a product (I also was excited by, and still have and use the original iPad), there will always be some people out there who refuse to see the potential of a device, for whatever reason. I saw it with the iPod, the iPhone (Ballmer's famous laugh), and the iPad ("just a big iPod Touch").

It's simply interesting to see it happen now from the other side of the Apple fence.

LOL the entire phone industry is excited about the folding phone because they're desperate for the next big thing to punch up the increasingly moribund smartphone industry. They are all hoping to make it 2014 again. That doesn't make the Fold a worthy or interesting product just as there's really no reason to get a 5G phone this year.

I know some people see this as an being driven by Apple envy or whatever you want to call it, but unlike Android diehards, I could care less what company comes out with an innovation first. If the Fold was truly great, I know it would be only a couple of years at the most before it came to Apple, and I'd probably rather wait a couple of years for the device's growing pains to be worked out anyway.

It's telling that you keep talking about what a great innovation folding phones are, but you never bothered telling me what this great innovation is. I can succinctly tell you what made the iPod great (you could put most of your music library in your pocket where it was essentially instantly accessible), the iPhone (a computer in your pocket) and the iPad (basically it was a cheap, more portable laptop/media device). I really have no idea what the folding phone is at this point and nor apparently do you. Right now it's basically a mediocre phone attached to a mediocre tablet that will for the foreseeable future always be more expensive than a comparable smartphone and very possibly a comparable smartphone AND a decent tablet.

Look, I think folding phones might be the future (or they might be the equivalent of say Blu-ray, a great technology that was made obsolete by a better technology). There's something missing from the folding phones right now that keeps it from being the equivalent of the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad. I have no idea what that missing feature is, if I did it would almost certainly be in the Fold right now. But there are lots of technologies that are missing that big feature that keeps them from being the big thing. Think about the Newton in the 1990s or most smartphones before the iPhone.

Reactions: decafjava

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
LOL the entire phone industry is excited about the folding phone because they're desperate for the next big thing to punch up the increasingly moribund smartphone industry. They are all hoping to make it 2014 again. That doesn't make the Fold a worthy or interesting product just as there's really no reason to get a 5G phone this year.

I know some people see this as an being driven by Apple envy or whatever you want to call it, but unlike Android diehards, I could care less what company comes out with an innovation first. If the Fold was truly great, I know it would be only a couple of years at the most before it came to Apple, and I'd probably rather wait a couple of years for the device's growing pains to be worked out anyway.

It's telling that you keep talking about what a great innovation folding phones are, but you never bothered telling me what this great innovation is. I can succinctly tell you what made the iPod great (you could put most of your music library in your pocket where it was essentially instantly accessible), the iPhone (a computer in your pocket) and the iPad (basically it was a cheap, more portable laptop/media device). I really have no idea what the folding phone is at this point and nor apparently do you. Right now it's basically a mediocre phone attached to a mediocre tablet that will for the foreseeable future always be more expensive than a comparable smartphone and very possibly a comparable smartphone AND a decent tablet.

Look, I think folding phones might be the future (or they might be the equivalent of say Blu-ray, a great technology that was made obsolete by a better technology). There's something missing from the folding phones right now that keeps it from being the equivalent of the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad. I have no idea what that missing feature is, if I did it would almost certainly be in the Fold right now. But there are lots of technologies that are missing that big feature that keeps them from being the big thing. Think about the Newton in the 1990s or most smartphones before the iPhone.

I'm sorry but if you don't see what's innovative about a folding device then there isn't much to discuss. And you dismissing the industry's opinion of the device as desperation is more telling than anything either of us has stated. Saying that the device is mediocre or more expensive that the combination of separate devices as evidence of it being neither innovative or a failure is shortsighted, and again, mirrors the early dismissals of devices like the iPhone and iPad.

The innovation IS that it folds. This is one step closer tho a dream of having a tablet the size of the largest iPad Pro to fit in your pocket. Or a larger device that folds small enough to wrap around your wrist. It's an entirely new form factor. You're bent on NOT seeing the potential here, which is what everybody is excited about. The product needs refinement. yes, but so did everything else, including the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad you so want to compare this device to. So don't tell me I don't know what the innovation is just because you can't figure it out, or disagree to what innovation is.

You seem so bent on focusing on the Galaxy Fold's failures (which there are many) that you refuse to acknowledge or recognize that a device like this has no precedent. It's entirely new. The fact that even for a short while it works at all is both interesting and worthy. It really doesn't matter whether or not it could be considered crap. The fact that Samsung (and Huawei) got it to work at all is exciting, and innovative. I've already heard of folks in this forum that want one regardless even if you and I wouldn't want it.

Whether or not that is foolish is not up to you, although you can feel free to (worthlessly) deem it so.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm sorry but if you don't see what's innovative about a folding device then there isn't much to discuss. And you dismissing the industry's opinion of the device as desperation is more telling than anything either of us has stated. Saying that the device is mediocre or more expensive that the combination of separate devices as evidence of it being neither innovative or a failure is shortsighted, and again, mirrors the early dismissals of devices like the iPhone and iPad.

The innovation IS that it folds. This is one step closer tho a dream of having a tablet the size of the largest iPad Pro to fit in your pocket. Or a larger device that folds small enough to wrap around your wrist. It's an entirely new form factor. You're bent on NOT seeing the potential here, which is what everybody is excited about. The product needs refinement. yes, but so did everything else, including the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad you so want to compare this device to. So don't tell me I don't know what the innovation is just because you can't figure it out, or disagree to what innovation is.

You seem so bent on focusing on the Galaxy Fold's failures (which there are many) that you refuse to acknowledge or recognize that a device like this has no precedent. It's entirely new. The fact that even for a short while it works at all is both interesting and worthy. It really doesn't matter whether or not it could be considered crap. The fact that Samsung (and Huawei) got it to work at all is exciting, and innovative. I've already heard of folks in this forum that want one regardless even if you and I wouldn't want it.

Whether or not that is foolish is not up to you, although you can feel free to (worthlessly) deem it so.

LOL, the innovation is that it FOLDS. It's an entirely new FORM FACTOR. LOL. How really important is it having an iPad like device that can fit in your pocket especially considering the fact that the device as it currently stands is smaller than the iPad Mini which is as far as tablets go is a niche product? it's a long, long, long way from being the size of an iPad Pro at this point much less the largest iPad Pro. I'd just add that while tablets are a large market in many ways, they're also not that incredibly important compared to say smartphones. Other than cheap tablets, Apple pretty much owns the tablet market, and their growth has been even more moribund than the smartphone market. A big part of the appeal of tablets is they are relatively inexpensive and once you buy one, you can really keep them for years. This device will always be a lot more expensive than a comparable tablet.

The notion that the Fold is remotely comparable to the original iPhone or iPad is. to borrow a quote from Wolfgang Pauli, so laughably off the mark it's not even wrong. I bought the original iPhone 2 months after it came out and I got an iPad literally the first hour it went on sale (I stood in line at the Apple Store for the original launch). While both of those products have been substantially improved, they worked as well as any product today from the moment I bought them and with the iPad at least my experience that first day wasn't too different from my experience with my current iPad. Moreover, both of those devices served immediate, obvious niches for me and millions of other people.

The fact that some people on these forums are excited about it is frankly irrelevant. You have a lot of diehard Android people on here who will defend and embrace anything Android puts out especially if it's something Apple doesn't have already. I've only had 3 people in the real world even mention the Fold to me, and one of them is a serious Android fanboy. (Of the other 2, one of them is my mother who mistakenly thought the Fold would be the smartphone equivalent of her beloved flip phone. Clearly she has no interest in the device you're describing.) Many other people on here also just like gadgets to play with and they like novelty other than genuine innovation. You seem to be fully into this camp.

I have never said that folding phones may not be the future. They may well be the future, but then again smart watches may be the future or something else might be the future. Folding phones may just wind up a niche product like the Surface (which of course people got excited about it for reasons similar to the ones you're describing and they never really took off other than as a niche product). As I stated, there is something fundamentally missing from this device to keep it from being, at best, the phone equivalent of the Surface. Someone may figure it out, or some other technology may come along to render it as irrelevant as Blu-Ray. Whatever, the future is at least a few years away. Your own desperate, threadbare arguments that don't address my own comments or for that matter seem to understand technology don't change that.

Reactions: FFR

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
It’s actually £1,800 in the Uk.

I think youre lucky with the taxes.. In Denmark The X was 1600$ (the first gen with max storage) so I expect, if the fold should launch to be around twice that.

What about Brexit, if it weakens the £ i guess it could increase in price if it should launch after summer / autumn?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think youre lucky with the taxes.. In Denmark The X was 1600$ (the first gen with max storage) so I expect, if the fold should launch to be around twice that.

What about Brexit, if it weakens the £ i guess it could increase in price if it should launch after summer / autumn?
It could do. Apple have already smacked us with price increases ever since the Brexit vote. Now $1 is equivalent to £1 according to Apple. Samsung so far haven’t increase their prices but that could change.

Reactions: Eagle1337

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
LOL, the innovation is that it FOLDS. It's an entirely new FORM FACTOR. LOL. How really important is it having an iPad like device that can fit in your pocket especially considering the fact that the device as it currently stands is smaller than the iPad Mini which is as far as tablets go is a niche product? it's a long, long, long way from being the size of an iPad Pro at this point much less the largest iPad Pro. I'd just add that while tablets are a large market in many ways, they're also not that incredibly important compared to say smartphones. Other than cheap tablets, Apple pretty much owns the tablet market, and their growth has been even more moribund than the smartphone market. A big part of the appeal of tablets is they are relatively inexpensive and once you buy one, you can really keep them for years. This device will always be a lot more expensive than a comparable tablet.

The notion that the Fold is remotely comparable to the original iPhone or iPad is. to borrow a quote from Wolfgang Pauli, so laughably off the mark it's not even wrong. I bought the original iPhone 2 months after it came out and I got an iPad literally the first hour it went on sale (I stood in line at the Apple Store for the original launch). While both of those products have been substantially improved, they worked as well as any product today from the moment I bought them and with the iPad at least my experience that first day wasn't too different from my experience with my current iPad. Moreover, both of those devices served immediate, obvious niches for me and millions of other people.

The fact that some people on these forums are excited about it is frankly irrelevant. You have a lot of diehard Android people on here who will defend and embrace anything Android puts out especially if it's something Apple doesn't have already. I've only had 3 people in the real world even mention the Fold to me, and one of them is a serious Android fanboy. (Of the other 2, one of them is my mother who mistakenly thought the Fold would be the smartphone equivalent of her beloved flip phone. Clearly she has no interest in the device you're describing.) Many other people on here also just like gadgets to play with and they like novelty other than genuine innovation. You seem to be fully into this camp.

I have never said that folding phones may not be the future. They may well be the future, but then again smart watches may be the future or something else might be the future. Folding phones may just wind up a niche product like the Surface (which of course people got excited about it for reasons similar to the ones you're describing and they never really took off other than as a niche product). As I stated, there is something fundamentally missing from this device to keep it from being, at best, the phone equivalent of the Surface. Someone may figure it out, or some other technology may come along to render it as irrelevant as Blu-Ray. Whatever, the future is at least a few years away. Your own desperate, threadbare arguments that don't address my own comments or for that matter seem to understand technology don't change that.

Finally some semblance of logic.

Reactions: Guscat

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Finally some semblance of logic.
It's amazing how smart you can sound if you're willing to step out of the fanboy echo chamber.

I don't know about you, but I was really disappointed when the Fold was unveiled. i had really expected more. And i am not some Apple fanboy who won't give Android credit for anything. I was excited about iris recognition (that is until I found out how limited it was) and I recognized that Android was far enough ahead of Apple in terms of hardware I seriously looked into switching over to the Note 7 in 2016 (my decision to stick with Apple was made before the Note literally started blowing up).

Folding phones may need to be the future, but there's something missing from the folding phones that were announced this year. Like I said, I have no idea what it is, but tech is filled with technologies that were missing a key ingredient.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019

So let me get this straight:

-You laugh-off the innovation of folding screen devices
-Your argument against the tech hinges primarily on price, the point I made regarding the comparison of the Fold to the iPad went completely over your head (hint: it was about people's dismissal of the device as unnecessary, not an apples-to-apples feature comparison),
-You dismiss others' excitement regarding the product (and the technology and innovation it represents)
-You completely disregard the statement that I am aware that the Fold is a flawed device with more shortcomings than benefits within the context of what I was trying to say.
-You refer to an "Android echo chamber" in an Apple echo chamber

I find it interesting that aside from the self-importance, juvenile tone, Apple defensiveness, and personal attacks in your post, I mostly agree with you. So let me try to simplify it as a final attempt to communicate my point:

-The exciting thing about the Galaxy Fold (and the Huawei) for me was to see a folding screen device outside of sci-fi.
-Whether or not it works reliably today is irrelevant to me.
-Whether or not it is cheap is irrelevant (I buy tech based on my own definition of value, not just price)
-Who builds it is irrelevant to me
-Whether or not the Fold is a piece of crap (in terms of a final product) is irrelevant to me (hint: it is crap)
-My excitement has nothing to do with Android (so the whole echo chamber quip doesn't apply). It's the hardware potential that excites me.
-I like variety in form factors.

There doesn't have to be ONE future. We can have folding devices, smartwatches, tablets, 2-in-ones, hololenses, laptops, etc.

I'm excited for all of them and wish for all companies (not just Apple or Samsung) to develop refine, and polish these technologies.

And finally, I don't find one platform better than another in a universal sense. I choose platforms based on their feature'set fit to me and me alone.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

-Your argument against the tech hinges primarily on price, the point I made regarding the comparison of the Fold to the iPad went completely over your head (hint: it was about people's dismissal of the device as unnecessary, not an apples-to-apples feature comparison),
-You dismiss others' excitement regarding the product (and the technology and innovation it represents)
-You completely disregard the statement that I am aware that the Fold is a flawed device with more shortcomings than benefits within the context of what I was trying to say.

I find it interesting that aside from the self-importance, juvenile tone, Apple defensiveness, and personal attacks in your post, I mostly agree with you. So let me try to simplify it as a final attempt to communicate my point:

-The exciting thing about the Galaxy Fold (and the Huawei) for me was to see a folding screen device outside of sci-fi.
-Whether or not it is cheap is irrelevant (I buy tech based on my own definition of value, not just price)
-Whether or not the Fold is a piece of crap (in terms of a final product) is irrelevant to me (hint: it is crap)
-My excitement has nothing to do with Android (so the whole echo chamber quip doesn't apply). It's the hardware potential that excites me.

There doesn't have to be ONE future. We can have folding devices, smartwatches, tablets, 2-in-ones, hololenses, laptops, etc.

I'm excited for all of them and wish for all companies (not just Apple or Samsung) to develop refine, and polish these technologies.

And finally, I don't find one platform better than another in a universal sense. I choose platforms based on their feature'set fit to me and me alone.

Where is the innovation when you are actually using it?

3ae01b33490f6c81b5e7e624f5d9e975.jpg

cbd111ef0a8aa9ea643666339c6ea1cc.jpg
627317af992368fd1f06cf42a2c34d22.jpg

Looks like she is using an iPad, not much innovation there, People have been doing that with iPads for years now. The iPad was very innovative when apple released it.

Is this where the innovation is?

ac9abe73b3899a29765569f16641371e.jpg

So basically the innovation is when you are not using the tablet.

Im going to stick with the iPad Pro, at least you get better apps and features such as continuity, handoff, and iCloud clipboard between various iOS devices and Mac OS.

Good luck with your fold.

Reactions: Guscat

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I am so frustrated with people laughing saying a folded phone is dumb.

They really screwed up the physical design of this thing, and almost every reviewer said DO NOT BUY IT - but at the same time almost all reviewers LOVED the phone. If your current iPhone looked the same and then could fold out and look like your iPad, wouldn't you buy it??? Just because Samsung made a horrible product doesn't mean the concept of folding phones is wrong.

Ah, from most I’ve read and watched they LOVED THE TABLET, the phone was a cheap second thought.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016

Looks like she is using an iPad, not much innovation there, People have been doing that with iPads for years now. The iPad was very innovative when apple released it.

Im going to stick with the iPad Pro, at least you get better apps and features such as continuity, handoff, and iCloud clipboard between various iOS devices and Mac OS.

The innovation is having a device that fits into a pocket and becomes a tablet with bigger screen, when one is "out and about" and not wanting to hump around a bag.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
The innovation is having a device that fits into a pocket and becomes a tablet with bigger screen, when one is "out and about" and not wanting to hump around a bag.

So not much innovation when actually using the device.... only when you fold it to put it away....

How much thicker is it when folded compared to an iPad Pro?

The iPad Pro is only 5.9mm.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
How much thicker is it when folded compared to an iPad Pro?

The iPad Pro is only 5.9mm.
And will that fit into a pocket? Thickness is not the issue when going into most pockets.
Footprint (length x width) is.

I can see me buying a device like this once production increases bring the costs down.

It's like The Ant Man. Once you have blown up the dinky car to full size. You just drive it. So that isn't innovation by your criteria :)

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
And will that fit into a pocket? Thickness is not the issue when going into most pockets.

I can see me buying a device like this once production increases bring the costs down.

It's like The Ant Man. Once you have blown up the dinky car to full size. You just drive it. So that isn't innovation by your criteria :)

15.5mm is stretching it for pockets.

I would rather carry a 5.9 mm iPad pro then a 15.5 mm fold in my pocket.

Your right I find the automobile innovative. a convertible that only unfolds when the car is off and not carrying any passengers, not so much.

But to each their own.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019

emoji23.png

You're raging against the machine. It's pointless to throw pearls to swine. Like many others, he's stuck on the device we got and not on what it could become when done right.

Glad to see that someone else here gets it though.

In a military setting, for example where how much you carry and the space you carry it in is at a premium, a device like this becomes quite useful.

And before someone argues towards the reliability of the Fold, lemme clarify that I said a "device LIKE THIS". NOT the Fold. That's the part that gets me excited.

To me, the hotdog image above is as impaired mentally as this:
e1e0f5a152c5042b72190f9e9746b50b-320-80.jpg

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010

LOL, I find it very amusing that you mock the "juvenile" tone of my response when you were the person who put the risible "(worthlessly)" in your response to me. Apparently you don't understand your own self any better than you understand tech. One more thing I will add, while this is an Apple website, every Apple website I am on is overrun by Android fanboys who are trapped in their own Android echo chamber.

I got your point about the iPad. You were completely wrong about the iPad and the iPhone for that matter. I got an iPad literally the hour it was released. There was so much excitement around the product. Sure there was some skepticism about the iPad and the iPhone when they came out, but there are lot of diehard anti-Apple people out there who dislike and hate everything Apple makes. All you have to do is look at all of the people who completely did not get the point of the AirPods which was an obviously great device.

With the Android fanboys, there seems to be a deeply sliding scale when it comes to tech products. Apple is held to a very high standard by the Android fanboys while they pretty much, at least around Apple users, act like everything Android comes out with is great. There is nothing about your comment to make you sound like anything other than an Android fanboy.

If you really want to argue whether you like the tech yourself for whatever reason, that's a subjective opinion one really cannot agree or disagree with. It'pins like having a discussion about whether steak or lobster are better or whether you like DC or Marvel better. Your opinion that you are personally excited about it is no more valid or invalid than my opinion that it's completely uninteresting, and so I find such debates as completely uninteresting.

I thought the real point of this was whether or not folding computers like the Fold is (imagining that all of its imperfections are going to be ironed out will be solved which I think we can both agree on will be at least a few years down the road) will be an important segment of the personal computer market rather than just something that a few people like you really want. The Surface is a much more fully realized product than the Fold, and it remains a largely irrelevant device in large part because of price (that's why I mentioned it in my iPad comment). You haven't made the case at all that the Fold is interesting beyond it looks "neat" to you and fun to play with. You really haven't made any arguments for what niche folding computers are serving in the way the iPad, iPod, and iPhone did. All you're doing is reciting the same lame reasons (basically you're excited by new tech and new forms even though they aren't really doing anything we can't already do).

If all you want to do is discuss what's exciting to you personally, that's not a particular interesting area of discussion especially since you have no interest in what I'm interested in. if you would like to discuss how the Fold will create a new market and possibilities using an actual argument you've thought about, I would enjoy that. But basically your arguments boil down to its NEW, and that's really not interesting or engaging.
[doublepost=1556661061][/doublepost]
You're raging against the machine. It's pointless to throw pearls to swine. Like many others, he's stuck on the device we got and not on what it could become when done right.

Glad to see that someone else here gets it though.

In a military setting, for example where how much you carry and the space you carry it in is at a premium, a device like this becomes quite useful.

And before someone argues towards the reliability of the Fold, lemme clarify that I said a "device LIKE THIS". NOT the Fold. That's the part that gets me excited.

To me, the hotdog image above is as impaired mentally as this:
e1e0f5a152c5042b72190f9e9746b50b-320-80.jpg
LOL, given that the Fold didn't survived 2 days with experienced high tech reviewers in relatively pristine settings, I don't really see the Fold or its descendants being ready for military service in the near future.

Last edited:

Guscat

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010

This is such a terrific post, it really demonstrates the notion that a picture is worth 1000 words.

I haven't really run across anyone who's made a compelling or even less than compelling argument for why the Fold is such an interesting product. Your photo essay really demonstrates better than anything why it's so uninteresting (and contrary to what some people may think, I am not troubled by its current high cost or even it's current software shortcomings because those are all fixable though at the same time these devices will always be more expensive than a comparable smartphone or tablet)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.