Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
In an interview on Corning on CNBC, it is said that Apple has recently invested into their glass development and that they are about 2 years away from developing a foldable glass suitable for folding phones. So while no material suitable for a folding phone exists today, that doesn’t mean it never will. Apparently it soon will.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
iFixit are gold.. but get too far much credit.....

"As iFixit notes, it will be interesting to see how folding designs manage to overcome these weaknesses in future - if indeed they have a future"

Samsung seems to be slipping up all to often. One product failure just moves onto the next one.

It's like their not even trying to be better anymore. Although perhaps Samsung should of given people a case... That would have helped a bit with getting dust, even if it didn't fix the main problem.

slashlos

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
These United States

iFixit today published its teardown of Samsung's Galaxy Fold, offering more details on a potential flaw in the device, which has now been delayed following reports of several broken review units.

So a hi-tech item with moving parts breaks ? And I was always worried about wearing on ports, buttons, so hinge thingy must be easy peasy.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
So now iFixit has removed the Fold tear down after a request by Samsung?

What’s next, asking reviewers to withdraw unfavorable reviews?

Reactions: FFR

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
So now iFixit has removed the Fold tear down after a request by Samsung?

What’s next, asking reviewers to withdraw unfavorable reviews?

God imagine here if Apple had done this ? Melt down I reckon. Let’s wait for the Samsung apologists reasons....wont be long....

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Unbelievable. Disappointed in iFixit.
They said they did it out of respect for the third party who gave them the unit to disassemble.

“We were provided our Galaxy Fold unit by a trusted partner. Samsung has requested, through that partner, that iFixit remove its teardown. We are under no obligation to remove our analysis, legal or otherwise. But out of respect for this partner, whom we consider an ally in making devices more repairable, we are choosing to withdraw our story until we can purchase a Galaxy Fold at retail”

https://www.androidcentral.com/ifixit-pulls-galaxy-fold-teardown

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
They said they did it out of respect for the third party who gave them the unit to disassemble.

“We were provided our Galaxy Fold unit by a trusted partner. Samsung has requested, through that partner, that iFixit remove its teardown. We are under no obligation to remove our analysis, legal or otherwise. But out of respect for this partner, whom we consider an ally in making devices more repairable, we are choosing to withdraw our story until we can purchase a Galaxy Fold at retail”

https://www.androidcentral.com/ifixit-pulls-galaxy-fold-teardown

Say what? That’s some kind of spin.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is. Samsung is going to learn another lesson (the Streisand Effect).

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
Unbelievable. Disappointed in iFixit.

I *assume* that Samsung plan on making a few changing in how the screen is assembled and attached to the device, and so this handset teardown will *probably* no longer be an accurate representation of the devices construction.

(At least we can hope that they are making a few changes, because that 7mm gap and hinge really can't stay open to the elements if they want the displays to have any kind of longevity!)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Say what? That’s some kind of spin.

It doesn’t matter what the reason is. Samsung is going to learn another lesson (the Streisand Effect).
It doesn’t matter anyway. You can’t delete things on the internet. It’s been reposted and reported in lots of other places. I don’t know why Samsung bothered. It would have looked better for them if they said they would take on board ifixit’s suggestions or work with them like Apple did with Dave Lee.

Maybe Linus tech tips was the partner ?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Anybody can try something new and throw products against the wall to see what sticks. It takes more discipline to resist the urge to release something immediately and actually spend time honing the device to perfection.

Samsung shouldn’t be praised for making their consumers beta testers. We all know it’s just so they can have “we did it first” bragging rights if Apple ever release a foldable display device in future.

Samsung almost made this monstrosity - a perfect example of throwing things against the wall to see what sticks...I laughed so hard when it came out and it was so obvious this would slide down the wall never to hear from again. I can't believe they paid to have this on billboards as well.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-finally-debuts-galaxy-s4-zoom/

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN

Ah, you meant people on the forums, gotcha. I would note that there were several people that corrected this person that the X wasn't a prototype, and also that it wasn't something I ever saw any reviewers say in reviewing like Joanna Stern and "Samsung Galaxy Fold Non-Review: We Are Not Your Beta Testers". So whether or not some people on the MacRumors Forum thought that the X was a prototype is ultimately pretty irrelevant.

Reactions: FFR

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
You think that you're correct. I think that you're wrong. I am not changing your mind and you're not changing mine. You may not want to agree to disagree, but we're going to disagree... whether you want to or not. Your continual opinion that your opinion is a fact does not change that. Nothing you've stated is anything more than opinion.
I disagree.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
There is a reason not to name a product "Lemon", "Nova" or "Fold". Didn't Samsung build that brown mp3 player with the yellowish layer of clear plastic over it. They could have told Microsoft "No."

Reactions: decafjava

iMEric984

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2018
Boston MA
I wonder why they rushed it! They have a fantastic line up, galaxy 10 is a hit (10e specs are much nicer than iPhone Xr), but their 'one more thing' half-baked foldable is getting all the press
I read an article somewhere, about 11 South Koreans being arrested for selling secrets and designs to huawei. Samsung clearly wanted to be first. It’s unfortunate that huawei did this because if they didn’t, maybe they wouldn’t have had to rush the design.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
How does such a pathetic lack of engineering and a serious design flaw make it through to production.

Oh wait, it's SAMSUNG. Nvm.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Ah, you meant people on the forums, gotcha. I would note that there were several people that corrected this person that the X wasn't a prototype, and also that it wasn't something I ever saw any reviewers say in reviewing like Joanna Stern and "Samsung Galaxy Fold Non-Review: We Are Not Your Beta Testers". So whether or not some people on the MacRumors Forum thought that the X was a prototype is ultimately pretty irrelevant.
I agree reviewers and consumers shouldn’t be beta testers. Of course, to an extent we all are but not to the extent that a product would be unusable out of the box.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Most likely Samsung didn't want to cause "unnecessary" harm than what's already been done since it would be fix..

The fact it these were never made to the pubic that "broke", only makes it an issue no keep it on iFixit.

No point in a tear-down is you don't have one is there :)

What kind of testing this device got? only this one?

Looks more like a tech-mix..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.