Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
iMovie is in desperate need of 64bit for allocating ram. Same with iPhoto when you're getting into large catalogs of pictures and movies.

C'mon apple, get with it.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
So they want to charge $49 for 3 apps that were "updated" 2 apps they didn't touch or enhance in any way and it's not running 64bit? God knows the imovie alone would benefit from it.

I am so glad I got it the usual way, and put my $49 on Fallout New Vegas.

What a disappointment.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Are the iLife apps intensive enough to benefit from 64 bit? :confused:

iPhoto can choke on processing faces on large photo libraries. I imagine there is quite a bit of number crunching going on there.

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I don't understand why a majority of you even care. Did 32-bit kill your dog or something? 32-bit apps are fine for a large number of uses.

The performance boost would be negligible for a vast majority of iLife customers. Not that they don't have 64-bit CPU hardware, but that they probably wouldn't even notice. The biggest gain for 64-bit apps is the memory, and Apple is still shipping hardware with non-user upgradable 2GB of RAM.

It's like the 16-bit 32-bit (128-bit Jaguar) console wars all over again NOOOooooo!

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
iMovie is in desperate need of 64bit for allocating ram. Same with iPhoto when you're getting into large catalogs of pictures and movies.

Well, maybe before they just need to finish QuickTime X (or whatever they are calling it now), because the old QuickTime is stuck in 32bit world forever.
Then Apple will just have to rewrite a big part of iMovie/Final Cut/Motion/Etc.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't understand why a majority of you even care. Did 32-bit kill your dog or something? 32-bit apps are fine for a large number of uses.

The performance boost would be negligible for a vast majority of iLife customers. Not that they don't have 64-bit hardware, but that they probably wouldn't even notice.

Do you use iPhoto much? Faces and Places put a huge burden on the system. I have no doubt that it could make very good use of more RAM.

Brinkman

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010

The performance boost would be negligible for a vast majority of iLife customers. Not that they don't have 64-bit hardware, but that they probably wouldn't even notice.

I care because if iCal and TextEdit can get 64bit love, why can't NEW releases of apps get the same? Especially apps that need it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
iPhoto can choke on processing faces on large photo libraries. I imagine there is quite a bit of number crunching going on there.

Then that would be the only iLife app (besides iMovie) that would need insance amounts of RAM.

Even so, 32-bit will be fine for now. Why? Because many Mac users are still stuck at 4GB RAM. No Mac, besides the Mac Pro, has over 4GB standard. Also, no user needs more than 4GB currently. Obviously, in the future this will change.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure 32-bit applications on OSX can allocate more than 2GB of RAM through some mechanism. But I think it has to be chunked into 2GB pages. I'm not certain though -- maybe somebody can correct me if I am wrong.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Well that just sucks. But I figured it would be 32 bit because they didn't say it was 64 bit in the keynote.

IDK why Apple keeps these programs as 32 bit.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010
He is having an idiotic war against Flash while:

1. Ilife still 32 bit

2. The complete Final Cut Studio are not compatible between them. I mean, all the commands in Soundtrack has nothing to do with the one in Final Cut Pro. The same thing with Logic. There is not actual integration.

Not to mention that Snow Leopard is way more buggy than Leopard.

Those are huge issues if you compare with the problems Flash can cause.

He must be a clown, because clowns run the most successful hardware and software business of the past ten years.

Not to mention how great ceos the birded ladies are. :D

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Then that would be the only iLife app (besides iMovie) that would need insance amounts of RAM.

Even so, 32-bit will be fine for now. Why? Because many Mac users are still stuck at 4GB RAM. No Mac, besides the Mac Pro, has over 4GB standard. Also, no user needs more than 4GB currently. Obviously, in the future this will change.

It's not just about RAM.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
So they want to charge $49 for 3 apps that were "updated" 2 apps they didn't touch or enhance in any way and it's not running 64bit? God knows the imovie alone would benefit from it.

I am so glad I got it the usual way, and put my $49 on Fallout New Vegas.

What a disappointment.

if your usual way is 'free', then I tend to believe even if this was 64bit you would still get it your usual way, so no lost sale from you. You already had it your 'way' before reading the article so it makes no difference your opinion.

Akula971

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Perfidious Albion
This is just a symptom of a general trend.

Apple simply shifted a lot of resources to iOS. And activities of lesser priority won't get done. iLife works just fine for almost everyone at 32 bit so it was deprioritized.

So very true. But they don't give a ****, as the money printer is running in overdrive for the IPad. For the first time since the 80's I'm not going to update my OS or my programs (not Apps or applications, they are programs, software)

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Its funny how Dear Leader (Steve Jobs) waxes on about how technology has a lifetime, and at some point, you need to put it to rest. I would suggest 32 bit code fits this bill, its time has come... However, Dear Leader still foists it on us? I wonder why?

I am wondering the same thing. Is this realy such a big deal?

iMovie with several HD clips, sure.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I'm a little surprised, but I don't see why people care so much about this. It is hardly relevant to performance for the vast majority of tasks being performed in iLife. I guess I can see it coming into play in, say, iMovie for a pretty dedicated user who is still using the entry-level Mac software...

They'll get around to it at some point.

Where I really want to see this is in resource-intensive pro apps.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Are the iLife apps intensive enough to benefit from 64 bit? :confused:

The reason for moving to 64 bit is that once everything is 64 bit then you don't need to load the 32 bit libraries to run stuff. But I don't think we're at that point yet.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
I gotta say... I was pretty disappointed with iLife this year. I'm not upgrading from '09. Two years of development...and this. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.